Engine Lifespan

85Max

Registered
The other week I spent about 30 minutes in a local showroom sitting on a new Busa, and talking to the dealer about the bike. One of the questions that I asked him was about the durability, and the expected lifespan of the motor. His answer was that under average riding conditions (no excessive abuse), and with good maintenance practices (oil change intervals, etc), the bikes will go 80,000 miles or higher before requiring any kind of rebuild.

For those of you that own the bike, what has your personal experience been with the engine durability and lifespan?

The most miles I've seen anyone report back on is about 60,000. I think you'll have to wait a couple more years to hear about 80+ Busa's. I don't see why one would not last that long - UNLESS IT IS ABUSED. As with most things, if your normal driving is like mine pushing it to its limits everytime your on it I really believe I'll be lucky to see 80K before a rebuild. That is one of the reasons I bought the 4 year warranty - If I average my normal 15K per year I might get lucky and have suzuki rebuild it for me. :drink: :drink:

The most miles I ever saw on a bike was 75,000 on a 600 Ninja and it still ran fine. I would bet money that a Busa (or any other modern liquid cooled bike) would last 100,000 miles if porperly maintained and not abused or raced.

Not that I am old enough to know, but I have been told that older era bikes that were not liquid cooled simply could not last that long because of poor engine cooling that caused thermal instability which leads to all sorts of little problems and eventually spells engine failure. Makes sense to me. This, not to mention a host of other improvments that make bike engines quite reliable in general, leads me to conclude that a Busa should last that long IMHO.

The most miles I ever saw on a bike was 75,000 on a 600 Ninja and it still ran fine. I would bet money that a Busa (or any other modern liquid cooled bike) would last 100,000 miles if porperly maintained and not abused or raced.

Not that I am old enough to know, but I have been told that older era bikes that were not liquid cooled simply could not last that long because of poor engine cooling that caused thermal instability which leads to all sorts of little problems and eventually spells engine failure. Makes sense to me. This, not to mention a host of other improvments that make bike engines quite reliable in general, leads me to conclude that a Busa should last that long IMHO.
Hope your right as it might take 80,000 miles to pay for it :super:

I've seen VFR's in excess of 100K as well as ST1100's. I used to ride with a bunch of Honda guys, older farts like myself that were retired and averaged in excess of 20K to 30K per year. I think that most modern bikes will last in excess of 100K if they're not abused.

Thanks for the replies :D

I have no doubt that the Busa's engine is well built and durable. The dealer had nothing but good things to say about the bikes. I just wanted to see what the personal experience has been with the riders on the forum.

"Let 'er eat" is probably right when he mentioned that we may have to wait a few years til we start seeing a number of 80M+ Busas riding around.

EAKbusa, I heard the same thing regarding the older air cooled bikes. I've heard people mention that the center cyinders in particulay had trouble disipating the heat on the older inline 4's.

Oh, by the way, The dealer did point out one negative thing about the Busa (if that's what you call it). He told me that the only thing they have found is that once they have sold a customer a Busa, they are never satisfied buying any other bikes after that :super: He said that he's had Busa customer return to test out the new ZX-12R's,etc, but they never buy :cool:

Back