16 tooth sprocket, clearance/rubbing?

justin726

Registered
I just put on a 16 tooth front sprocket on my '03 last night and went for a quick ride. I seem to be getting some noise, like maybe the chain is rubbing on something. I am guessing that it might be on the platic piece on the top of the swing arm.

I know a lot of people are running 1 tooth less on the front and have heard of possible clearance problems. Just curious to see if there are "actual" problems, or if a little rubbing is OK? I know it might shorten the life of the chain a little, but that is acceptable I guess.

What you maybe hearing is noise from the sprocket...The stock sprocket has a rubber buffer which reduces friction the aftermarket does not...I wouldn't be concerned unless you check and your missing rubber on the top of the swingarm...I've ran a 16 since I had my bike...In awhile you might want to slap a 42 on the rear...Hell of a ride...  :D

my guess Justin...they/you may have over tightened the chain a little . Chec yer play .

-the tighter turning radius is miniscule(wont affect wear that much)

-yer speedo will be off now , by more than the usual 7 %

- hopefully there wasn't thousands of miles on that chain and rear, or there will be a prob

O ya...make absolutely sure , you got the right sprocket,I ordered 3 times before finally getting the correct sprog,suppliers kept sending the wrong size(pitch not tooth count) went through three different companies , and it wasn't the boys at the shop fuggin' up, I usually go behind the counter an' fill out my own parts req.

hav agood 1...RSD.

O ya...make absolutely sure , you got the right sprocket,I ordered 3 times before finally getting the correct sprog,suppliers kept sending the wrong size(pitch not tooth count)...
RSD,

I've just received my front sprocket. How do I tell if it has the correct pitch?

Just when I think I have a handle on things, RSD opens another can o'worms. ;)

Thanks, Juggler

Along with the slight noise, I am pretty sure that I am noticing a slight smell once in a while that seems a little out of place. I am just going to have to take the fairing and sprocket cover off once more to check everything over and to help ease my mind I guess.

I would also like to know about the different pitch of the sprockets. I am assuming that all Busa sprocket are the same from year to year. On the back of the package it said for 99-01 or something like that. Hopefully the same for an '03:super:

O ya...make absolutely sure , you got the right sprocket,I ordered 3 times before finally getting the correct sprog,suppliers kept sending the wrong size(pitch not tooth count)...
RSD,

I've just received my front sprocket.  How do I tell if it has the correct pitch?

Just when I think I have a handle on things, RSD opens another can o'worms.   ;)

Thanks, Juggler
Hey Jug....the package will usually be correct . The pitch is the distance between the teeth . Some bikes use a 520 chain,some use a blah blah blah . Just measure the distance between two teeth at the peak , it should be the same as the sprocket you took off , even thou the 17 tooth has a larger diameter .

have a good 1, RSD.

You have'nt forgot the other chain rules have you Jug .

Like switchin' out one of the three , don't use a clip-type master , no lubes or cleaners that will kill yer O-rings...yadda yadda yadda...

hav a good 1 , RSD.

I am assuming that all Busa sprocket are the same from year to year.  On the back of the package it said for 99-01 or something like that.  Hopefully the same for an '03:super:
You should be fine Justin... prolly only listed those early ones because it was manufactured and packaged before yer bike was even born .

hav a good 1.....RSD.

like he said check chain clearance, ive had a 16t sproket for 2 months and no probs except keeping the front down.

Greetings All,

I'm real new here... I don't have a Hayabusa yet (waiting for the big 1/2 day test ride 1st). What size comes on the front 'stock'? I'm assuming you are going down in size to increase the lower end???

Thanks!

Back