a few questions...

suprafly

Registered
i have a few q's pertaining to the 'busa as well as to bike in general. ok, here goes:

1) why doesn't the 'busa look as good as the other gsx-r bikes (only realized that it was a gixxer when i came to the site)? all of the others from the 600 up to the 1000 (as well as the tl1000r though that isn't a gixxer, or is it?) look nice, but the 'busa seems to look "front-heavy" so to speak.

2) i'm planning to go get my license next month, and i wanted to hear from you guys what would be a good beginner bike? i was checking out the gsx-r600 and also the yzf-r1. i like the r1 because its mufflers are like those of the ducati, but it's a thousand cc bike, and i don't think i want one of those as my first.

3) can a bike with a single exhaust have the exhaust removed and replaced with a dual exhaust without increasing the cc's/bhp? for example, can the 600 have its muffler removed and replaced with two under-the-seat mufflers like how the "big-bikes" have them?

4) are any of you on here around 5' 4", and if so, are your feet flat on the ground when you stop or do you have to tippy-toe?

that's all for now till i think of more.

do you guys know of any 600 boards that might be like this one?

suprafly out............................

Welcome to the board

That's one of the great things about the busa, it has a style all it's own. You want to look like eveyone else, get a bike like eveyone else.

I am 5'7" and my feet do not hit flat on the road, but not a really problem for me. You can always lower the bike if you feel the need.

I do not feel that the Busa is a good fit for someone just getting his license, and this is NOT a beginner bike.

Don't really know your riding experience, I have a 16 year old son who has been riding a 600 for about 8 months, and I am not letting him on the Busa alone. Not really worth the risk of that one moment.

IMHO stay with a 600 for a time and get your feet wet and learn how to ride around all the crazy cagers. Driving a car, riding a dirt bike, etc is not the same as a bike on the streets or frwy.

Anyway, good luck, and definately take the motorcycle saftey course

Ride safe

thanks. i do plan to take the msf course as well as any others that may be available so that i'll know what i'm doing before i go on the streets. i don't want a 'busa, but i came here because this is the only cycle board i know of. however, it's still good to come here and listen to what you guys do and whatnot.

besides riding with a padded jacket on, do you think i should ride with those tights that have the pads in/on them as well or is that a bit too much?

Any questions you have about gear, just think about what happens when/if you go down. Pain hurts, get the gear that is gonna let you survive it with the least amount of pain and you will be fine. Don't worry too much about how something looks, if its good for you then that is all that matters.

As far as a beginner bike goes, only you know the way you act in any given situation. A lot of the 600's out right now I wouldn't personally consider to be good beginner bikes but thats a choice all your own. Good luck with everything and don't be afraid to ask a question, we know your new to it so don't worry about sounding dumb, hell even some of the "experienced" guys have brain farts everynow and then.

Welcome to the board. Always wear leather. Protective gear is never too much. The others may kill me for my next sentence but here goes: Below 6000 rpm, the Busa handles great, and it is very easy to ride even for a beginner. It may be a little heavy and can be easily dropped.

My 2 cents.

suprafly, from the sounds of your experiance, I would recommend against a Busa or an R1 for sure.  
 They are both extreme bikes with capabilities that outstrip even the most experianced street riders.  You will seriously have a lot more fun on something that isn't as expensive, or big.  Besides it will be nearly impossible to find insurance for a litre class bike at 16.  It is definetly possible to buy too much bike.  You'll end up more intimidated by the size and weight and not really be able to enjoy the ride.
 The Busa looks a little "odd" mostly because Suzuki was determined to build the Fastest bike ever.  To do this they would need a lot of aerodynamic help, so basically the Busa looks the way it does because that is what worked best in the wind tunnel, also the design is coming up on 5 years old so the newer bikes do have a certain more modern "edgy" look to them while the Busa still looks sorta roundy...I like it though.
 I would recommend starting on something really cheap.  I mean just a $2000 beater.  Something for you to make mistakes on and not really regret it too much.  Something that can fall over without breaking the bank.  Something like an SV650 would be really cool.   Something to learn on for a couple of years and really have fun with it without worrying so much about it being a little dirty or a scratch here or there.
 Try not to get caught up in buying what your buddies think is cool, buy what you think you want to ride and be honest with yourself.  All the big ole' burly 1000cc plus bikes will still be there and probably be even better when you get some miles and experiance under you.
 At a minimum, wear a helmet and a good set of gloves.  You should also allways wear a leather or modern textile jacket with built in armor.  Really you should buy some riding pants and boots as well, but a good sturdy pair of jeans and boots would be the minimum for your bottom half.  
 Be careful, wear your gear, have fun at the MSF course and have fun on the bike.  Thats the whole point really, so make sure you are having fun... :thumbsup:

First, watch what you say about our beloved Busa's!  :)

Second, do you have any riding experience? if not, pick up a USED 450 Nighthawk, 450LTD, GS450 etc  (see the pattern?)  You WILL drop your first street bike.  Be it going around a turn, moving it in the drive or garage, or looking at that hottie on the side of the road! (Not that I did the last one! :D )

Third, if at all possible, learn to ride a dirtbike first.  The controls are identical to a streetbike and will allow you to learn them before tangeling with 2 ton cages on the street.

Fourth, wear as much armor as possible.  Please check out the other threads on this site for confirmation.

The Busa is an awesome bike but DEFINATELY not a first (or even second) bike  

Ride Safe :super:

Also check out the New Owners FAQ.  Your question has been asked before and there may be something in there for you that strikes a chord...

Always wear a helmet, and good gear trust me on this one. This could have been my face...

SmallHelmets.jpg

tellin' me my bike dont look that good , probably isn't the best appoach to getting help and advice from...

I only have one piece of advice ....but I'm afraid the Net-Nanny would just censor it anyway.

Hav a good 1 thou....Stoppies and Wheelies RULE.

RSD.

thanks for all the info peeps, and i'm 19 by the way. anywho, since i'm a true beginner (never even sat on a bike; only touched one), i will wear full armour (sounds medieval):D and practice alot before i do get on the streets. i thought that a 600 would be an ok beginner bike (due to hte fact that i love it so much), but since you peeps seem to agree that something less is betterm then i guess i'll start small.

and like i said before, i don't want a 'busa cause my favourite is the 600. i also won't be doing any wheelies, stoppies, skids, etc (can't even do them on a bicycle):D , so i guess i'll be fine.

how long did it take you guys to complete the msf course (if you can remember) and did you take any other courses?

suprafly out.............................................

thanks for all the info peeps, and i'm 19 by the way. anywho, since i'm a true beginner (never even sat on a bike; only touched one), i will wear full armour (sounds medieval):D  and practice alot before i do get on the streets. i thought that a 600 would be an ok beginner bike (due to hte fact that i love it so much), but since you peeps seem to agree that something less is betterm then i guess i'll start small.

and like i said before, i don't want a 'busa cause my favourite is the 600. i also won't be doing any wheelies, stoppies, skids, etc (can't even do them on a bicycle):D , so i guess i'll be fine.

how long did it take you guys to complete the msf course (if you can remember) and did you take any other courses?

suprafly out.............................................
Oh 19...Sorry I got the impression that you were younger from your initial post. My bad...

MSF Beginer course is usually a Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and all day Sunday. It's generally a real good time, you'll get some good instruction and then you get to go play on their bikes. You'll learn a ton and have a good time so it's a win win kinda thing.

The thing to remember about modern 600cc sportbikes is that though they may be small compared to a Busa they are still capable of amazing performance and can get you into trouble in a hurry. So if you really want a sportbike, find one that fits, that pushes your buttons just right and then take it slow and grow into it. But do not discount their potential, they are still fast as hell... :thumbsup:

i saw in a few other posts that some of you guys were talking about a device called a "throttlemeister" or something like that. can any of you explain to me what it does?:blush:

IT's a Cruise control device, something you shouldn't need for a while if ever, unless you are planning a lot of long rides out on the highway. It allows you to set your throttle in position and relax your right hand while still whistling down the road.

I started out on dirtbikes and went for my first streetbike when I was 28. I picked up a new 98 CBR 600 and had a great time on it for two years. After 30000+ miles I traded it in for my Busa which I had for all of about 4 1/2 months before I bounced it off a tree. :eek: Anyway, the biggest thing is to know what your limits are and stick to them. Stupid happens and it hurts like hell. Take it slow, get use to it and learn. Slowly build up to bigger and better things.
Welcome to the board

The SV/SVS is an excellent larger-caliber starter bike. Although many people on the SV board (www.svrider.com, look for Riders Forum) would suggest something as small as a 250 to begin, my wife learned the controls on a dirt bike, took the MSF course, and got a '02 SVS. There is a sweet lower fariring package that gives the SVS a full-body look, with ½ the insurance cost of a 600. They are a V-twin, very easy to handle and much lighter than a Busa. I recently, and regretabily, sold my beloved '99 SVS to start shopping for a larger sport-touring bike.

And THAT'S why I'm here :D

but isn't the svs a 650cc bike (well, 649 if you want to be precise)? i was checking them out last night on suzuki's old site (if any of you lost or couldn't find it, it's because it's now gsx.suzukicycles.com), and they have way more power than the gixxers, though the gixxers are racing bikes.

also, have any of you seen the limited edition hayabusa? what do you think of the colour?

suprafly out........................................

Back