How cold will a 50/50 antifreeze mix go?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Can I park my bike in a garage over the winter with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and be good to -10 degrees?
I'm moving to Idaho Falls, and they really do get winter as opposed to Texas. I run straight anti-freeze in my cars, and a mech tested it and said it was good to -50.

We're moving in November, so the bike will probably sit for several months. If I can skip going to straight anti-freeze, I would really like to do that.

50/50 is good up to -36 if i remember correctly. If i were you, i would not run 100% antifreeze. Run atleast a 90/10 mix.

i just switched mine out and tested it and it reads protected down to -25degrees

More isn't better with antifreeze.
Straight antifreeze has the potential to freeze at +10ºF and at best protect to about -8º.
50/50 protects to -36º. Straight antifreeze also screws up your boiling point as it doesn't transfer heat as well without water.

The viscosity may indicate -50º but without being mixed with water it's a false reading.

(FAVahalik @ Sep. 29 2006,07:22) Can I park my bike in a garage over the winter with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and be good to -10 degrees?
I'm moving to Idaho Falls, and they really do get winter as opposed to Texas.  I run straight anti-freeze in my cars, and a mech tested it and said it was good to -50.

We're moving in November, so the bike will probably sit for several months.  If I can skip going to straight anti-freeze, I would really like to do that.
I doubt it will get to -50 IN your garage
wink.gif

Back