Bmc race filter

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
I know I'm supposed to clean it, it just didnt come with any instructions on how to clean it. Water or what, spray it down with wd-40?

Check this out...

http://www.brocktoncycle.com/eshoppr....KIT.htm

Although I just used soapy water and a light weight motor oil in the past...
rock.gif

throw it in with the socks...no problems!
wink.gif

get a K&N recharge kit at most any autoparts store....follow those instructions.

the key is to 'lightly' oil the filter

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152657290 -->

a couple years ago my family and i ran from hurricane frances...loaded my FZ1 in the truck..packed all our critical belongings and hauled azz to the mountains...murphy, NC...and stayed there for 11 days..had a K&N in the FZ for about 4K miles...bike started acting up in the higher elevations...checked everything and then the airfilter..figuring shid....can't be that...wrong...that oiled gauze isn't like a micron rated paper filter where particles under the micron rating gets through..as that oiled gauze catches it all...as the oil doesn't care what the micron size of the dirt particle is..it just catches it via "oil cling"...so there i was...outta towner...no cycle shops in 100 miles..and a 4K mile old "dirty" K&N...so i hit the local auto parts..not a chain..just a hole-in-the wall...and bought a spray can of sea foam spray lube..a real light oil...and then hit ingles grocery for some 409 kitchen cleaning spray/degreaser...method?..

409'ed the old oil away and then rinsed thouroughly with water and then slung it dry and sun dried it...then liberally spayed on the seafoam/light oil...cleaned it again several times over using the same shid cleaning and recharging my K&N airfilter with every oil change...just to ensure performance..and it worked out just fine if not great.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152660314 -->

just go to the BMC site and get the part number for the cleaning kit....then see who has it locally or otherwise.

or you're gonna give your filter dish pan hands.
wink.gif

here's the "how to"
http://www.bmcairfilters.com/infoWAKins.asp
degreaser is degreaser and light spray oil is light spray oil...known other riders (including myself) that've used this method for years...one of the old "rider secrets" things...just like using $1.97 a can pledge spray funiture polish to clean and polish your plastics instead of $6.99 a can, special trip to the shop..plexus...and it works just fine with no ill affects.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152663113 -->

just go to the BMC site and get the part number for the cleaning kit....then see who has it locally or otherwise.

wink.gif

here's the "how to"
degreaser is degreaser and light spray oil is light spray oil...known other riders (including myself) that've used this method for years...one of the old "rider secrets" things...just like using $1.97 a can pledge spray funiture polish to clean and polish your plastics instead of $6.99 a can, special trip to the shop..plexus...and it works just fine with no ill affects.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
I thought I smelled lemons as I flew passed you
biggrin.gif

....must have been been that dawn detergent's ingredient slowing you down:
Chemical Name: Isopropylamine dodecylbenzenesulfonate
CAS Registry Number: 026264-05-1
Synonyms: Anionic surfactant; Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid, comp. with 2-propanamine (1:1); Isopropylamine dodecylbenzenesulfonate; Benzenesulfonic acid, dodecyl-, compd. with 2-propanamine (1:1)[/QUOTE]

or tearing a hole prematurely in your air filter.
That ingredient is also in:

Brand /Category /Form
Comet Creme Disinfectant Cleanser /Home inside /liquid
Ivory Liquid Dish Detergent /Home inside /liquid
PAR Ammonia Spray Glass Cleaner /Home inside l/iquid
Dreft Laundry Detergent Powder /Home inside /powder
Spic and Span Floor and Multi Surface Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Mr Clean Finished Floor Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Dawn Automatic Dishwashing Liquid /Home inside /liquid
X 14 Soap Scum Remover Home inside pump spray
Cheer with Triple Color Guard Ultra 2 /Home inside /powder
Gain with Bleach Laundry Detergent Powder /Home inside /powder
BIZ Non chlorine Bleach /Home inside /powder
Mr Clean Top Job All Purpose Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Dawn Manual Pot and Pan Detergent /Home inside /liquid[/QUOTE]

my point being that if they were kind enough to design a filter and a cleaning kit......and you spent 80.00 on a filter you paid EXTRA for because you felt that extra 1HP was going to make or break the bike's performance...wouldn't you just use the suggested cleaning product?
rock.gif

"rider secrets" are fine if you're in a pinch or on the road...but if the have the time...do it right.

you just spent 550.00+ on a set of friggn foot pegs and now suggest 1.97 can of pledge is just as good at cleaning our Busas?
Until I ride something like this:
woodencycle.jpg

Thanks, but I'll spend the extra 5 bucks.
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

here's the "how to"
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
I thought I smelled lemons as I flew passed you
biggrin.gif

....must have been been that dawn detergent's ingredient slowing you down:
Chemical Name: Isopropylamine dodecylbenzenesulfonate
CAS Registry Number: 026264-05-1
Synonyms: Anionic surfactant; Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid, comp. with 2-propanamine (1:1); Isopropylamine dodecylbenzenesulfonate; Benzenesulfonic acid, dodecyl-, compd. with 2-propanamine (1:1)

or tearing a hole prematurely in your air filter.
That ingredient is also in:

Brand /Category /Form
Comet Creme Disinfectant Cleanser /Home inside /liquid
Ivory Liquid Dish Detergent /Home inside /liquid
PAR Ammonia Spray Glass Cleaner /Home inside l/iquid
Dreft Laundry Detergent Powder /Home inside /powder
Spic and Span Floor and Multi Surface Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Mr Clean Finished Floor Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Dawn Automatic Dishwashing Liquid /Home inside /liquid
X 14 Soap Scum Remover Home inside pump spray
Cheer with Triple Color Guard Ultra 2 /Home inside /powder
Gain with Bleach Laundry Detergent Powder /Home inside /powder
BIZ Non chlorine Bleach /Home inside /powder
Mr Clean Top Job All Purpose Cleaner /Home inside /liquid
Dawn Manual Pot and Pan Detergent   /Home inside   /liquid[/QUOTE]

my point being that if they were kind enough to design a filter and a cleaning kit......and you spent 80.00 on a filter you paid EXTRA for because you felt that extra 1HP was going to make or break the bike's performance...wouldn't you just use the suggested cleaning product?
rock.gif

"rider secrets" are fine if you're in a pinch or on the road...but if the have the time...do it right.

you just spent 550.00+ on a set of friggn foot pegs and now suggest 1.97 can of pledge is just as good at cleaning our Busas?
Until I ride something like this:
woodencycle.jpg

Thanks, but I'll spend the extra 5 bucks.
beerchug.gif
[/QUOTE]
hmmm....ic

biggrin.gif

Back