I discovered "part" of the zx-13.5's success

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay...here ya go...observe my fellow busa bretheren..

BUSA:

Primary Drive Gear Teeth (Ratio): 52/83 (1.596:1)

Transmission Gear Teeth (Ratios):
        6th                                   24/23 (1.043:1)
        5th                                   25/22 (1.136:1)
        4th                                   27/21 (1.285:1)
        3rd                                  29/19 (1.526:1)
        2nd                                 31/16 (1.937:1)
        1st                                  34/13 (2.615:1)

Final Drive Sprocket Teeth (Ratio): 17/40 (2.352:1)

"ZX-13.5":

Primary Drive: 94/61 (1.541:1)

1st: 42/16 (2.625:1)
2nd: 37/19 (1.947:1)
3rd: 34/22 (1.545:1)
4th: 32/24 (1.333:1)
5th: 30/26 (1.154:1)
6th: 29/28 (1.036:1)

Final Drive: 41/17 (2.412:1)

13.5 info found here...

http://www.zx14.net/documents/zx14-model-info.pdf

so...as you can clearly see?...except for 6th?...the busa is geared markedly taller thoughout it's tranny as well as it's final drive...looks like a 42T rear is in order justa square things up a bit.
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145131110 -->

that would make a stock difference
vader1.gif
absolutely..the busa is pulling a taller drive ratio than the 13.5 and doing it with 52cc's LESS displacement.

Ya know...I always figured i'd be a pretty cheesy move on big greens part to punch their 12R out to 13.5 and then market it as a 14...but then to go with slightly lower drive ratios across the board is just the slimey icing on their somewhat under-handed cake...and as usual?..there ain't much above board when it comes to kaws ever-going struggle to reach the top..and they deserve what they'll get in but a few months time...the all new for '07 Hayabusa..meanwhile?...a thinking man can still fly his falcon to victory..with a pipe, a well mapped/tuned pc and apparently?...a 42T rear sprocket.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

So Bill, what are you gonna do if you run into a piped, pc'd, well mapped ZX-14 with a good rider?

So Bill, what are you gonna do if you run into a piped, pc'd, well mapped ZX-14 with a good rider?
Okay...you deserve a better and far more comprehensive answer to your question...and quite frankly?...so do the primary readers of this board so here goes..

I have a number of extremely viable options open to me...and if and/or when I ever deem it necessary?..also a vast variety of readily available big bore kits...(which btw will be far more competitively priced as compared to anything that will ever be made available for the 13.5 since the 13.5's engine case and jugs are of a single piece casting where the busa just requires a jug swap out) and that should pretty much do it. LOL!

But of course if it doesn't?...There's always a wide selection of drop-in cams and various fueling upgrade options available.

But to me?..it also isn't just the comparitivly miniscule power delta's that come into play here..it's also the bikes other important aspects..such as braking, handling, reliability and?..well?..the true verdict behind kaws claimed aerodynamic accomplishments...and?..the REAL jury is gonna be out on the 13.5 for some time to come as John Q. Public needs the opportunity to put kaws new big beast through it paces..and not just the glowing reports we've been hearing from factory sponsored insiders....editors, after-marketers and racers alike as..well?..we just ain't "Them"...and so far?..alls we have to go on is their oh so gloriouse and possibly slightly biased words..but time will tell.

Meanwhile?..I gotta go...taking my daughter for a ride on my lowly flying egg. LOL!

and....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Hate to burst your bubble Bill, but according to those numbers the 13.5 has the taller first gear ratio.

Busa: 9.816:1 in 1st
13.5: 9.756:1 in 1st

You forgot to take into account the primary drive ratio on both bikes.
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145141269 -->

Okay...you deserve a better and far more comprehensive answer to your question...and quite frankly?...so do the primary readers of this board so here goes..

I have a number of extremely viable options open to me...and if and/or when I ever deem it necessary?..also a vast variety of readily available big bore kits...(which btw will be far more competitively priced as compared to anything that will ever be made available for the 13.5 since the 13.5's engine case and jugs are of a single piece casting where the busa just requires a jug swap out) and that should pretty much do it. LOL!

But of course if it doesn't?...There's always a wide selection of drop-in cams and various fueling upgrade options available.

But to me?..it also isn't just the comparitivly miniscule power delta's that come into play here..it's also the bikes other important aspects..such as braking, handling, reliability and?..well?..the true verdict behind kaws claimed aerodynamic accomplishments...and?..the REAL jury is gonna be out on the 13.5 for some time to come as John Q. Public needs the opportunity to put kaws new big beast through it paces..and not just the glowing reports we've been hearing from factory sponsored insiders....editors, after-marketers and racers alike as..well?..we just ain't "Them"...and so far?..alls we have to go on is their oh so gloriouse and possibly slightly biased words..but time will tell.

Meanwhile?..I gotta go...taking my daughter for a ride on my lowly flying egg. LOL!

and....L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Good answer Bill. Nobody has any idea what the 14 is really like, reliability, comfort, gas mileage, etc. because there are none on the streets. The Kaw dealership where I live is getting one. Only one. And it won't be me buying it. I don't think I'd have any problem at all beating one with my 12. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would beat one fairly easily. Of course, my 50 hp shot of nitrous might have something to do with it. Now if the 14 had the same setup as me, it might be a different story.
Have you ever thought of spraying your bike? It's simple, reliable, and awesome.
Later ... Larry ...
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|mokaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145142164 -->

cool.gif

Going by Bill's numbers (no, I haven't verified the accuracy - I can only hope they're more accurate than his 'conclusion'...) the Busa actually has the gearing advantage in first, second and sixth.

Overall gearing - Busa shown first, then the ZX14:

9.817 -- 9.757
7.271 -- 7.237
5.729 -- 5.743
4.824 -- 4.955
4.264 -- 4.289
3.915 -- 3.851

As can be clearly seen, the ZX14 doesn't hold any real gearing advantage until 4th (3rd by a scant - realistically useless percentage), holds a marginal advantage in 5th, then falls back to a disadvantage in 6th.

Bill, your vehemence against a bike that has yet to be released is, well, telling. Keep up the cheerleading, but bear in mind your panties are showing...

laugh.gif

Where's all the dignity gone? Busa owners are supposed to be a classy lot...cmon!

You expect to find trash talk like this on liter bike forums
blush.gif

Enjoy the bike...either one...enjoy them both if you can
tounge.gif

It sounds like if they were equally geared it would be pretty close....so if it was possible to equalize all things....which it usually aint in the real world....you'd have a pretty close race I think  
wink.gif
Prolly be the rider deciding it as usual
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145144801 -->

Going by Bill's numbers (no, I haven't verified the accuracy - I can only hope they're more accurate than his 'conclusion'...) the Busa actually has the gearing advantage in first, second and sixth.

9.817  --  9.757
7.271  --  7.237
5.729  --  5.743
4.824  --  4.955
4.264  --  4.289
3.915  --  3.851

As can be clearly seen, the ZX14 doesn't hold any real gearing advantage until 4th (3rd by a scant - realistically useless percentage), holds a marginal advantage in 5th, then falls back to a disadvantage in 6th.

Bill, your vehemence against a bike that has yet to be released is, well, telling.  Keep up the cheerleading, but bear in mind your panties are showing...

laugh.gif
Where did you come from?

9.817  --  9.757
7.271  --  7.237
5.729  --  5.743
4.824  --  4.955
4.264  --  4.289
3.915  --  3.851

Bill, your vehemence against a bike that has yet to be released is, well, telling.  Keep up the cheerleading, but bear in mind your panties are showing...

laugh.gif
Where did you come from?
Aught has a way of showing up when you least expect him
wink.gif
So you feeling healthy Aught?...I hope so. And what you riding now? Fill us in...long time no see....

Jinks knows his stuff, and I can't wait to see his response. And quickness and speed ought to be measured on the track, not the street.

Awww, I've just been hanging around public phonebooths lately trying to expand my earwax collection...
biggrin.gif

That and dedicating myself to paying off all my junk debt (credit cards, lines of credit, etc. - you know, things that you're paying on and can't even remember why...). I'm almost there...

And I hope you guys don't expect me to wave the Kawasaki banner - I'm not exactly their premier fanboy as of late. Waiting this doggone long to introduce their 'flagship'; heck, the new Busa is undoubtedly just around the bend. Someone posted not too long ago about letting Kawi have their 15 minutes of fame...

Probably more truth than fiction.

It's apparently a fast bike - for now. But dang it, let them have their due...

Anyway, deep, deep down inside I'm really jealous of Jinks so I just had to poke at him a bit, but he's a fellow Gyrene, so I'm confident that he can take it!
cool.gif

"And quickness and speed ought to be measured on the track, not the street."

Ain't that the truth. And given that the vast majority of Hypersport riders are purely street riders, what are we clamoring for? Ride what you like and just wave at the other guy...

"And quickness and speed ought to be measured on the track, not the street."

Ain't that the truth.  And given that the vast majority of Hypersport riders are purely street riders, what are we clamoring for?  Ride what you like and just wave at the other guy...
Ain't that the truth! Pretty cool of ya, aught. Yer right ... I couldn't even ride my 55-hp Duc Monster to its limit ....

Oh geez, and I just couldn't leave well enough alone...
wink.gif

I was sitting here thinking (I know, I shouldn't do that) "Hey" I says to meself "Hey, we're not looking at the whole picture here. With what size tires do these machines come from their respective factories?"

"Well I'm glad you asked" I says to meself. "The Busa comes stock with a 180/55 if I'm not mistaken, which has a nominal circumference of 6.458'. The ZX14 comes stock with a 190/50 - a slightly taller tire, which has a nominal circumference of 6.552'. This means that the Kawi is, effectively, pulling against an even taller ratio."

That is, if they really do exist...

rock.gif
blush.gif
biggrin.gif

Okay, I'm shutting up now.

Back