Cleaning fuel filter and injector screens

hmm....wish I could help. I had to do extensive removal and reinstallation on my 99.

I know the 01 and up models had the pump in the tank. Lemme see if I can take a look a t some stuff.

BRB...

ok...not too sure on the pump thing. Dunno how that filter system works, exactly.

Best I could say is to remove the pump from the tank and get up close and personal with it. It shouldn't be too bad.

As for the injector screens, it's gonna be hard to clean it by hand. The screens are tiny...and you'll hafta remove the fuel rail to get to the injectors. Once the injectors are out, you're gonna need to be careful removing the injector screens, as they're a PITA to remove from the injector.

I'd say get some injector cleaner and run some through your engine. That should take care of the screens.

Sorry I can't help much with the fuel filter.

The black part is the filter, not serviceable. There's a strainer in the bottom of the cup that the fuel passes through before the filter, have to disassemble the whole unit to get to the strainer. The cheapest I've found filter, parts or the whole pump is  Here Hope this helps.

<!--EDIT|mymaster
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144907005 -->

Picture_1198.jpg

Couldn't see how the injector screen was removed. Just cleaned screen while in place. Little carb cleaner, give it a shot with compressed air. Repeat a few times, looks clean ... must be
tounge.gif

Couldn't see how the injector screen was removed. Just cleaned screen while in place. Little carb cleaner, give it a shot with compressed air. Repeat a few times, looks clean ...  must be
tounge.gif
you can pry 'em up with a flat-tip or something similar.

I took mine out, but couldn't for the life of me see through the screens. The mesh is really fine.

Your way sounds like it works too.

Okay I need to ask some opinions from you guys on this subject. My Busa now has 17,000 miles on it and I was figuring it was time to change the fuel filter and clean and all that garbage. I went to Suzuki and the guy in the service department gave me an answer i thought was weird. I asked him that since there was nothing in the service manual about cleaning the screen how often did it need to be done. He said he was figuring around 75,000 miles or so. I was like wow that sounds odd because I saw a couple guys on here say theres was horrible at like 15,000. So the guy says I tell ya what let me call Suzuki and ask them. He calls them and they take the VIN # from my bike showing that I called with a concern. He told the guy the year and mileage on my bike and told him I was wanting to change the fuel filter. I heard him right after that (it was on speaker phone) say ohhhh no tell him not to mess with that fuel filter. He said that was a specially designed fuel filter and should never need changing. The mechanic was like well he has a full warranty on this bike and was just trying to do preventative maintenance on it. Even after the guy from Suzuki was like unless the bike starts sputtering on you or running funny to where you think you are having a fuel flow problem then that filter should never need touched. The Zuk guy asked me if I was having any of that and I said no she purrrs like a kitten. He was like then rest safely and just keep riding. He even said where I had called and gave my VIN# it would be documented so that should a problem arise down the road and they try to say it was caused by not changing or cleaning the filter it would be on record that I called and asked but was advised to leave it alone. Does this sound right to you guys? I mean the mechanic said it shouldn't need it until AT LEAST 75 and Zuk said leave it alone plain and simple. I mean I guess coming FROM Suzuki they would know.

Back