WD-40 better than anything else for chain lube?

OB_boneman

Registered
Come on Bill, the rings aren't pure rubber.
These aren't seals for a blender.

Here's what D.I.D. has to say,

http://www.didchain.com/question.html

question #7 - clean w/ kerosine. Last
time I checked that was a petroleum based
product, dare I say close to jet fuel (jp10
works great btw). It will not hurt your chain.

Just don't soak it for two days.

Yet another opinion on the topic.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/chain.html

Motorcyclist did an article a while back as well
on this topic, I'll have to dig it out. I know plenty of guys who have
20k+ on their chains and have only used wd40.

I'm no authority by any means, just a lowly engineer, but I what I do know is from plenty of street experience, reading plenty and asking around.

WD40 is a penetrating oil mixed with parafin, it may get past the O Rings and then turn the lube in the Chain link into mush.

Either fit a auto Luber (fill with cheap chain saw lube rather than the propriatory stuff which is.... rebadged chainsaw lube.)

Chain wax is quite good but you should clean the chain before using it.

I'm with boneman on this. I live in a very dusty area, and chain lube or wax will collect dust, and it grinded my chain and sproket to an early grave. Also, lube and wax solidify when it cools, but it gets hot when you ride again; I tried all kinds of application directions with no luck. I've used WD40 ever since, and no problems whatsoever. I clean the chain every 100 miles or so just spraying a rag and then cleaning the chain (only removing the lube crap required a serious cleaning). It takes me less than 10 minutes on my pitbull stand (very little black comes out of each cleaning, and you can tell is clean by feeling the rollers roll free and checking your fingers). I didn't notice any increase in chain noise when I switched, and it must have less friction. An added benifit is that my chain looks like new all the time, and I can check for any damage much easier. I'm just one more WD40 believer out of experience, that's all.

I had a bad experience with WD40. I got caught about 6 hours away from home in bad rain storm. (I carry one of those little cans) I spayed my chain with WD40 just before I left and made the trip without even looking at the chain. Before the trip I had just replaced the chain, sprockets, and tires. The next day I started to clean the bike and noticed fine metal shavings on the chain and sprockets. The 6 hour ride in that bad storm had washed off all the WD40 and worn out the sprockets and chain. Talk about being PISSED.

Koz

[This message has been edited by Bill Koz (edited 10 April 2000).]

I think any chain lube you use is fine as long as you maintain it. WD40 will likely require more frequent intervals, and I'm not sure about the rain. I've been using STP motorcycle chain lube. It's supposed to be non-throw, but it still makes a mess, at least within the first week after application(probably using too much).

What kind of chain maintenance intervals are you guys using?

I've been doing the kerosene scrub->STP chain lube around every 500 miles. I guess it's important before a dyno run too.

I apply every 500 miles or so.
Did you apply it when chain was hot and let it set it make all the difference.
The only thing WD-40 is for like I said cleaning the bike(remove VHT)

The dealer at my first service used PK1 or PJ1 (whatever its called) for the chain lube, and it has thrown crap everywhere. I cleaned it all up and off, and have DW40 on it now. I'll trade the frequent application issue for the throwing crap everywhere issue anyday.

WD40 good? Bad?

How about other stuff? Amsoil? Wax?

Don't use WD-40 except to clean your bike.
Chain lube works it all depends on how it is put on I use PJ-1 Blue label.But I put it on when the chain is hot after a ride and on the centerstand (yes I have one)in first gear spray the inside o-rings .then let the bike sit for an hour and no mess.If you put it on the outside links it get over the tire.
There is a different lube lube for everyone on the board just get on and stick with it.

mmmm, I've heard widely differing opinions on this issue. I currently use a good chain wax, like Maxima. Let that stuff sit for a while and it will never come off. But on my ZX-9 I used wd40 with no probs for 15k miles.
It was a little messy which is why I no longer use it (but it's better than PJ1 mess). The o-rings will not swell, nor will x-ring chains. If that's the case then Kerosine recommended by all the chain makers used to clean the chains would make them swell, but it doesn't.

Old chains (non- o-ring) needed lube to keep the links greased up, but that's what the o-rings are for, they already have the grease impregnated into them. The only reason you need any kind of lube is for the contact between the sprocket and chain. But even then the rollers (if clean) take care of that part. A couple of big name chain manufacturers even say that wd-40 is fine for lube. Keep the chain clean and free of dirt and it will last a long or longer time because you're not collecting dirt from the sticky PJ1.

The key though is a clean chain.

WD-40 is petroleum based and will deteriorate rubber. (not good for o rings) Most of the chain lubes on the market work good. The problem is not the lube its how it's applied. The trick is to apply the lube when the chain is hot and then let cool. What happens is, when the chain is hot the lube will liquefy and flow into the needed areas. (the o ring area) When the chain cools the lube will solidify and stick to the chain. (will be hard to sling off) I lube and adjust my chain after a good ride. (at least 30min) This method works very well.

Koz

Appreciate the advice.

When the chain heats up again the stuff slings off. I also noticed that with anything but WD40, the amount of road grit and stones in the chain goo is amazing. That HAS to grind the sprocket teeth.

I like the clean chain idea. But wadda I know?

WD-40 is petroleum based and will deteriorate rubber. (not good for o rings) Most of the chain lubes on the market work good. The problem is not the lube its how it's applied. The trick is to apply the lube when the chain is hot and then let cool. What happens is, when the chain is hot the lube will liquefy and flow into the needed areas. (the o ring area) When the chain cools the lube will solidify and stick to the chain. (will be hard to sling off) I lube and adjust my chain after a good ride. (at least 30min) This method works very well.

Koz

Petroleum base is what is used for most lubes. If that would deteriorate n-buna O rings, it wouldnt be good. if it was natural rubber thats another story

Wow 13 year old thread, but I've put 77K miles on an '06 and '08. Always use WD-40 to clean and throw a little chain wax on to protect. I don't really know that we do any lubrication on our O-Ring chains.

Oh, and the '08's factory chain and sprockets got 32K on them before I replaced them and could have gone more.

Back