Okay...now this is gett'in a little hairy...

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Bought my new to me '03 w/ 1,600 on the odo about a year ago...previous owner tells me it's got a "MERLIN" alarm system but it's disconnected because the remote is a sealed unti and when the battery goes dead you hafta order and send off for a whole new remote...like $24.95...but I figure screw it...what if you're on a road trip and your remotes battery goes dead?...you're screwed..right?..so?...I never bothered hoking it up or ordering a new sealed remopte with a fresh battery..and as time trudged on?..everytime I go to remove my dash fairing inserts?..they got these pita leds that are siliconed in and keep popping out...and I keep siliconing them back in..well?...this weekend?...today?...a rainy sunday?..I decided to finally strip that freaking merlin alarm system outta there...however.......now that I'm knee deep into it?..I'm beginning to fear it may be to much for my electronic peabrain....as follows..

MERLIN1.jpg

MERLIN2.jpg

MERLIN3.jpg

electronics is my weakness...I sux at it...and now I'm beginning to fear wether or not my poor silver beast will light up after I'm done clipping and stripping all this junk outta there.
sad.gif

Whadda pita!..Wish me luck...Bill.
cool.gif

As long as you don't have too many spare parts left over when your done you will be ok.
laugh.gif
No seriously, something tells me you will be fine when all is back together
smile.gif

Hey where does that screw go..........................:laugh:

WTF - why did they have to tie it into your main ECU? My scorpio didn't, and I think they are more advanced than the "Merlin" unit
rock.gif

I know my SportVue tied into the ecu, but an alarm...for what reason would they do this
rock.gif

Good luck jinkster, and can you let us know what wire they tied the MERLIN into the ECU?

rock.gif

WTF - why did they have to tie it into your main ECU? My scorpio didn't, and I think they are more advanced than the "Merlin" unit
rock.gif

I know my SportVue tied into the ecu, but an alarm...for what reason would they do this
rock.gif

Good luck jinkster, and can you let us know what wire they tied the MERLIN into the ECU?
Well?..I stripped away the bundle of electrical tape and it's spliced into several wires in several locations....and waaaay to tight to get in there and get a good job done with the tank in the way...so?...it's a wrap for tonight....and it looks like I'll be driving the tundra to work tomorrow....but that's okay..I'd rather take my time and get it done right than live with electrical gremlins down the road...I'll be bringing home my butane soldering iron from work tomorrow and tinning the appropriate wires back together after I slip on some heat shrink...and then heat shrinking the splices and then re-wrapping the whole harness with electrical tape...sux....I hate wiring.
sad.gif

However...I will letcha know what color wires were t-spliced into...and who ever did it?...did a he11uva job...and the system is fairly extensive with some sort of valet button and of course the two bling bling leds which i guess used to letcha know when the system was activated...to which I say...good ridence.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

rock.gif

just take your time and remove the alarm.

open the harness to get sufficient access to the wires.....build some jumpers and then strip/solder/shrink the matching ends back toogether on at a time.

yes it's time consuming...but kinda idiot proof if ya just pace yourself and not try to rush it.

just take your time and remove the alarm.

open the harness to get sufficient access to the wires.....build some jumpers and then strip/solder/shrink the matching ends back toogether on at a time.

yes it's time consuming...but kinda idiot proof if ya just pace yourself and not try to rush it.
yep....good advice...and I can do this...just gotta take my time....then again?...I once installed and blew up a motion activated dual flood front porch light...it actually made a bang and caught fire when I flipped the switch...wifey wasn't impressed..on my behalf though?...I did buy it from walmart and followed the chinese instructions to a T..except there were no T's.
laugh.gif

just take your time...the electrical stuff is def. not my forte either, but I think I came out alright.

Just keep at it...it'll start to look more familiar. Good luck.
wink.gif

Jinks-- electrical is my bag
any alarm is going to have ign sense, light control, kill circuit - power and ground.
If wires are just spliced in they can be removed and insulated. Its the "interrupt" or kill circuits you have to worry about. They actually cut a factory wire in 2 and loop it through the alarm. this allows the alarm to create an open circuit and disable the bike. those factory wires will need to be soldered and shrink wrapped back together.

Jinks-- electrical is my bag
any alarm is going to have ign sense, light control, kill circuit - power and ground.
If wires are just spliced in they can be removed and insulated. Its the "interrupt" or kill circuits you have to worry about. They actually cut a factory wire in 2 and loop it through the alarm. this allows the alarm to create an open circuit and disable the bike. those factory wires will need to be soldered and shrink wrapped back together.
Thanks xzvs!
biggrin.gif

Suspected they were part of a "Interupter/Ignition Kill" circut and that's what had me a tad worried....I'll be soldering and heat shrinking in a few minutes and thanks again, Bill.
cool.gif

Okay....here's what I got...

MERLIN4.jpg

There's also a black w/ green stripe the dimwit installer musta cut by mistake....but the fixes are obviouse and I'm de-soldering and soldering w/ heat shrink here in a few minutes.

xzvs...I'm not real big on alarms...or any other exotic electronics..for just the reasons of why I'm removing this one...as a matter of fact?..I'm already none to happy that the harness was already violated as much as it is...and...if I feel the need for added security?...and I can't chain it to something and sleep but a few feet away?..I don't go there with my busa...dead remotes?....killed batteries?...electrical gremlins?....I want none of that..not even a chance of it.....and btw...thanks for your help man!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Not a prob man
I personally put an alarm on mine, so at least I know whats what. I deal with qualcomm gps units on tractors all day. So, I have to trust my work and the equipment. These things actually call us if any of our tractors are moved outside the geofence or if any of 4 systems monitors goes overtemp. So, we know EXACTLY where they are and whether they are ignoring system warnings.

Back