Tank ding

seatec

Registered
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to get a ding out a tank. see pic

<!--EDIT|seatec
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144425554 -->

tank_ding.jpg

No, that would have to be painted, too large. I work at a Lexus dealership & had one removed from my tank. It is double walled & my dent man had to use the slider & glue to pull it.

Sure it can be fixed right up at a local body shop with the right tools and minimum filler.But if you are talking about poping it out and not having to repaint/blend,no way IMO.
If you want the cheapest way out,tank bra.

I have a trick you might try that I've seen work with remarkable success...in some dings almost as bad as yours which I never would've dreamed were repairable..and it goes like this...

Use ductape and cardboard to build a dam about the perimeter of the ding about 2-4 inches tall....then keep filling that dammed off area with crushed dry ice....and keep it full for a couple hours...meanwhile?...get a pot of boiling SALT water going...to a violent boil...and then?...as quickly as you can?...whisk the dam and the last of the dry ice away and dowse the frozen metal with the boiling hot salt water.

Thermal shock...and as the frozen contracted metal gets shocked with the ultra hot water it rapidly expands and with no where's else to go?...it just may pop out...and that's how it works..but there's two no gaurentees involved here...

1. It might not work and...

2. If it does work?..you risk a chuck of your paint popping off. (however...I have seen it done successfully where the paint didn't pop off at all.)

One things for certain...it's worth a try...dry ice is what?...$5 a block?

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144465920 -->

Geez... Your like Bill Nye the science guy. Very cool idea
smile.gif

if its double walled is there any way to take off the gas cap and slide a rod b/t the walls and pop it out? might have to cut a hole on the cap wall for the rod to go thru.
rock.gif

I have a trick you might try that I've seen work with remarkable success...in some dings almost as bad as yours which I never would've dreamed were repairable..and it goes like this...

Use ductape and cardboard to build a dam about the perimeter of the ding about 2-4 inches tall....then keep filling that dammed off area with crushed dry ice....and keep it full for a couple hours...meanwhile?...get a pot of boiling SALT water going...to a violent boil...and then?...as quickly as you can?...whisk the dam and the last of the dry ice away and dowse the frozen metal with the boiling hot salt water.

Thermal shock...and as the frozen contracted metal gets shocked with the ultra hot water it rapidly expands and with no where's else to go?...it just may pop out...and that's how it works..but there's two no gaurentees involved here...

1. It might not work and...

2. If it does work?..you risk a chuck of your paint popping off. (however...I have seen it done successfully where the paint didn't pop off at all.)

One things for certain...it's worth a try...dry ice is what?...$5 a block?

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Wow! That is really cool
wink.gif

Really.

seatec, could you tell us how you created your ding dent in the first place
rock.gif

Two Words...

Gasoline...

Matches.

Pour in about a 1/8th cup of Unleaded, shake the tank up really good, let the fumes build up, then pass a match across the filler there and

POOMP!!!!! Gastank sans dent. (PLEASE VIDEO TAPE YOUR PROGRESS)

Otherwise, seriously Buy a nice tank bra from Suzuki or somewhere.

Two Words...

Gasoline...

Matches.

Pour in about a 1/8th cup of Unleaded, shake the tank up really good, let the fumes build up, then pass a match across the filler there and

Geez Rev,thats gonna scare the crap out of him!

I have seen the dry ice thing work on a hail dent but only backwards. Car in the really hot sun. Hot metal and then the piece of dry ice is set on the dent and it pops out. Paintless dent removale place may get it out. If you took the gas cap off you would have more room to work throught that hole. New gas tank $500

I have seen heat and blowing compressed air in the tank pop stuff like that out.

Two Words...

Gasoline...

Matches.

Geez Rev,thats gonna scare the crap out of him!
Yeah but it's going to sound good!!!

BAM!!!

Back