Cagers that change lanes without looking

umairhashmi

Registered
Nice incident happened to me today.Its about 1 in the afternoon.Typical hot florida day with the sun blazing down.Im in the extreme left lane when suddenly i notice the car next to me start coming into my lane.Luckily i was in 2nd gear so i quickly accelerated out of there.At the next red light i wanted to walk over the guy driving that car and give him a nice "talk" about looking before you change lanes but decided not to do it when i saw the disabled sign hanging from his rear view mirror and he was an elderly man.Lucky for me i was paying attention when he started coming into my lane or else i probably wouldnt be making this post right now.Im just surprised how some people change lanes without looking AT ALL.Its not like i was in his blind spot.I was right next to the car.

I am glad he missed. When ever posible I would never ride next to someone. Bikes are to small and easily missed.

glad you are ok. ride like nobody around you knows how to drive.
cool.gif
cool.gif

cool.gif

the safest mindset i have found is offensive driveing not defensive...if they are all behind ya it opens up room to have larger line of site if someone pulls out...and when they are behind ya...with the pipes...they WILL know you are there

I hate riding next to another vehicle--especially a big truck. Too many blind spots. I get out of there!!!! Glad you're OK without incident

Glad you made it out OK.
smile.gif
I have made eye contact and had the @sshole keep coming at me. Ride like your invisible and watch for head movement as you ride by. It is usually a one move three part action (head moves, while hiting directional, while turning the steering wheel). And never stay in a bliond spot, slow down, speed up what ever it takes stay out of the blind spot.

I was riding to dinner with my parents a while back and from the back seat noticed my dad change lanes without signaling. there was few little traffic, but I laid into him like he had just run over a 5 year old or something. I explained how crucial it is for other drivers, ESPECIALLY fragile cyclists, to notify intention for changing lanes before doing it. he understood since then has told me, and I've noticed he ALWAYS uses signals.
smile.gif
or else I will rail on him again
biggrin.gif
we should ALL use our signals

Glad you are OK, vry common in Florida. They just don't look, they don't use turn signals much, and they drive 35 in the fast lane.

Yea, most people never look
poke.gif
or see a bike. My observations are:
Women drive with their knees, talk on the phone and mess with the baby while driving and changing lanes
tounge.gif
!

Men, read the paper or a magazine, talk on the phone and drive like there is no one else on the Hwy  
down.gif

Observations made in Lots of Big and Small Cities  
face7.gif

I've had that "I didn't see you" experience before. I know not everyone looks or even uses their mirrors in the cage but if I HAVE to ride amidst them, I just make sure to get into a position in which I can see their face via their mirror.

If there is an up side, the blue hairs don't do anything fast. NWA, especially around Bella Vista, is loaded with them. I Have found my aggressive riding style mixes well with their indecision. Best to avoid riding in the dinner hour, 3:30 to 5:30, the Denny's are thick with Grand Marqis, town cars and white shoes as mom & pop gobble down french toast slams before bed.....safe to come back out about 6:30.
wink.gif

yea ive been through alot of those. i was on i75 one night and decided to hit it when i saw a car come from the far right to the far left where i was heading i had a lil time to go right when he dediced to do the same i had to come to a almost a complete stop in the emerg lane man i had to thank god for that one... Man put that aside we should get together and ride im in miami let me know

If there is an up side, the blue hairs don't do anything fast. NWA, especially around Bella Vista, is loaded with them. I Have found my aggressive riding style mixes well with their indecision. Best to avoid riding in the dinner hour, 3:30 to 5:30, the Denny's are thick with Grand Marqis, town cars and white shoes as mom & pop gobble down french toast slams before bed.....safe to come back out about 6:30.  
wink.gif
So your saying all us Meet and Greet riders in Sept need to arrive before 3:30 or After 5:30  
laugh.gif
. "OH My God" Blue Hairs in white shoes  
face7.gif

I'm convinced they just start their lane change and hope for the best.

--Wag--

no offense to the gals on here! but I had a blonde in an SUV come over and almost get me Tuesday, coming back from lunch, after honked horn and slammed on the brakes to keep her from getting me got back next to her at the light and the Biotch is looking at me like I did something wrong so she got the loud swearing and Number one sign, then she turned away and wouldn't look anymore

and yep she never looked, just went
mad.gif

naw, just ride faster! Beware of any large american car with no visible driver at the wheel. Sometimes you can detect a few sprouts of hair just above the headrest, (usually ear hair)....when behind them, if you watch close, you will see the "drift pattern" and be able to pass on the right hand drift. The thing you have to get use to is one or both turn signals will be on all the time. Doesn't mean their turning unless there is a Ihop close by....
baaa.gif

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144419649 -->

I had this exact same thing happen to me within my first month of owning a bike...I was in KC and had a car come over on top of me with no signal / no look.  

I was to the left of the car and swerved left to avoid getting smashed.  Luckily when I swerved I tip-toed the line between my old lane and my new lane of traffic because within half a second I had a car rush by me on my left hand side at about Mach 1 over the speed limit.  (yes I was in between the two morons for what seemed like eternity, playing Pacman on the white line)

After I cleaned out my shorts, I realized that I'd just learned a VERY valuable lesson.  Never, ever, ever, ever, ride side-by-side to cages.  Speed up, slow down, stop if you have to, but do not ride next to them.  This advice has probably saved me numerous close calls that never materialized...

Glad to hear you're okay!

<!--EDIT|impactks
Reason for Edit: "Re-read and clarified..."|1144428132 -->

Back