Check your tire pressure!

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
It's was windy this morning, but I've driven in this kind of wind before and never had any problems.

Something wasn't right about my baby, she was all over the place, felt like I was riding on roller skates, every time the wind blew, it would make me swerve, so bad that I almost hit a cement freeway devider head on.

I had posted earlier about how she was acting squirrely last week, and someone had mentioned that the tire pressure may be low.

I discounted it at the time thinking "no way, tire pressure wouldn't make that big of a deal", but today after almost killing myself, luck had it that I happened to be right next to my dealership.

I took it in, asked them check the pressure for me, and sure enough it was 2 lbs off in each tire.

They didn't seem to think that tire pressure would cause the problems I described, so I held my breath and ventured back out onto the road.

It was like someone super glued my tires to the road, wow what a difference!

I'll never second guess advice from the forums. Thanks guys!

2 psi made that much difference? you must be running really low pressure to start with... i run the prescribed 42 in mine and have faultered on checking it on a few occasions... only to find that i'm a couple of pounds low... didnt even know it!

I don't think 2 psi would make that much of a difference. I have run 20 psi in the rear tire at the drag with heavy crosswinds and didn't experience what you did.

Thats good to know! I am bad about checking the pressure in the tires. I will try and do better now.
Thanks

2lbs
rock.gif
that's not enough to make a difference

Well, what ever it was, when I had the air pressure brought back up the issue went away, immediatly. I may have heard the mechanic wrong when he told me the pressure, but still, I'm glad it's back to normal.:D

i dont see 2 pounds making a difference. Now if you were like a drag/street bike and just got done street racing with the rear tire at say 10 pounds i could see it happening. Not that i would ever street race

never had that much but 10 or more psi yes it does get mush

What tires you runnin'?

I've heard that Pilot Powers are real picky about pressure...

(I don't have the Powers...just what I've heard)

Yeah, I'm sure you just heard the mechanic wrong. Surely, tire pressure can definitely make the difference that you described, but not at only 2lbs. Your tire pressure varies by more than that when the tire heats up and cools down.

Out of curiosity, what is your pressure at now? I mean, what did the dealer set it at?

I always check my tire pressure before I ride; takes maybe 5 minutes, and it's worth every second. I also use a tire pump, which is something I learned from a member here.

In addition to tire pressure keep an eye on your tire tread this time of year, all kinds of crap on the roads.

I took her out for the first time since about October and picked up a screw within the first 100 miles. Replaced it imediately (Pilot Powers / emergency service are expensive). Just check your tread every once in a while or if you're riding with someone, have them look as you role to a stop light and return the favor. A cager pointed mine out for me. Good man!

2lbs
rock.gif
that's not enough to make a difference
I fully agree on the importance of proper tire pressures... But 2 PSI wouldn't that big of a deal!

I can tell easily when my front tire's pressure gone down, even a few PSIs, but its not enough to make the bike behave like you mentionned... Unless you ride with really low pressure to start with!?!

Yeah, I'm sure you just heard the mechanic wrong. Surely, tire pressure can definitely make the difference that you described, but not at only 2lbs. Your tire pressure varies by more than that when the tire heats up and cools down.

Out of curiosity, what is your pressure at now? I mean, what did the dealer set it at?
He set it 20 42lbs front and rear, as the manufacturer calls for.

Back