Sport touring

monti

Registered
I am preparing for a 3000 mile roundtrip to Cancun, MX. Was wondering what you guys recommend for saddle bags. I already have a nice tank bag. I was thinking about getting the Ventura rack system but maybe there is something out there cheaper.

Wow! That is a long trip on a bike? Better check and double check your "to bring" list before you head out!
smile.gif
Best of luck for good weather.

<!--EDIT|mofuggahere
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144177692 -->

If your going by yourself, you sure you want to take your Bike
rock.gif
. If your going with people I hope your either going with someone who has been several times, or with a Bike Tour Group ! Check your insurance (Health to see if it covers Mexico) and don't forget to BUY Mexican Insurance at the Border (THIS SIDE), because your American Insurance is worthless there. Also, remember if your in an accident, "IT YOUR FAULT" no matter what. You have the burden of proof to show you were not a fault (and that will be real hard) . "OH" by the way, if your in an accident you are automaticly arrested so make sure you know what your doing !

And Yea, HAVE FUN
tounge.gif

tourmaster cortech bags. I used them on my cross country trip from MD to CA.

Man I wanna go that would be a blast enjoy the scenery and gaurd your bike very well(chain it to you or something)  first and foremost get the Mexico insurance just in case cause your regular insurance will not cover it in Mexico. not cancun but close  Costa Maya and Cozumel pics just to make your mouth water
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144179199 -->

costamaya2new.jpg

I'm using a Renn tech bike rack for $105. Along with a set of $94 Nelson riggs re enforced,expandable, Muffler heat protection and rain covererd saddle bags.
During a test try, just to see how much I could get into the saddle bags I was able to get a 80"x60"x8" air mattress in one side of the saddle bags wit a little more room to spare.

Secureing a bag  correctly on the bike rack will make a perfect back support for your seat bag (tailbag) as well.

Also you might want to check out the electronic Audiovox cruise control install in the mod section.  

Have a safe trip, Playa  !

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02467.jpg
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144183458 -->

Hey Rythym,
Any pic's of the saddle bag's mounted on your bike ? That rack looks just like what I've been searching for as well ! Also, where did you purchase your saddle bag's ? I was just at the local bike shop today, and the cheapest thing they had was Cortech's for $150. Thank's,

Steve.

<!--EDIT|WildMonkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144184230 -->

Nah Dawg, its only been mounted once and that was from the store I bought it from.
I would go mount my bags for you and take pictures but rear end is apart right now. I just finished up a project for a member here last night.

I have been pondering hard bags for some time now. As I was cleaning my bike the other day I couldn't help but notice how substantial the mounts are for the rear reflectors. Anyone ever tried using these mounts as part of a hard bag mounting point?

I have been pondering hard bags for some time now. As I was cleaning my bike the other day I couldn't help but notice how substantial the mounts are for the rear reflectors. Anyone ever tried using these mounts as part of a hard bag mounting point?
SW motech actually makes a kit.  They use the license plate bracket but replace it with their own as a mounting point.  You can buy them here Twisted Throttle

Bags look a little wierd on a busa (part of what I like about having them, messes with ppl's minds haha) but the bags and the mounts come off quickly (less than a minute for the frames mounts and maybe 3 minutes to take all traces but the license bracket) if you dont want to look like a commuter for the day.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144186640 -->

Nah Dawg, its only been mounted once and that was from the store I bought it from.  
I would go mount my bags for you and take pictures but  rear end is apart right now. I just finished up a project for a member here last night.
Rearend... member...
rock.gif
You ain't going brokeback, are ya Ty?
rock.gif

laugh.gif

rock.gif

Between you and your broke back syndrome and Pacman shaving kit. I'd recommend you Playaz getting some quality therapy, Sooon !
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the input guys. I should have elaborated some more but didn't want to bore you guys. I am going with a group and it won't be till October. It's the annual BMW rally in Mexico and it's being held in Cancun this year. I am planning way in advance as this is going to be a first for me going into Mexico. The group of guys I am going with are pros on touring. Myself and a buddy both have Busas and are going to tag along, what the heck. Once again, thanks.

If your going by yourself, you sure you want to take your Bike
rock.gif
. If your going with people I hope your either going with someone who has been several times, or with a Bike Tour Group ! Check your insurance (Health to see if it covers Mexico) and don't forget to BUY Mexican Insurance at the Border (THIS SIDE), because your American Insurance is worthless there. Also, remember if your in an accident, "IT YOUR FAULT" no matter what. You have the burden of proof to show you were not a fault (and that will be real hard) . "OH" by the way, if your in an accident you are automaticly arrested so make sure you know what your doing !

And Yea, HAVE FUN
tounge.gif
I've also heard the gas can be real crap
wow.gif

Back