I may be talking greek here...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
If you replace stock w/ a full exhaust (4 to 1) is it necessary to re-map or utilize a PC?

Yes, or you migh actually lose some performance.
Get a PCIIIUSB and a good map and it will be a World of difference...

David

David
I know a guy selling an 04' w/ full RS-3 Yoshi 4:1 exhaust but says he doesn't have a PC or re-mapping?  He says it runs and idles smoothly.  Are mapping and PC 2 diff things?

Should I be concerned and should my first step be to purchase and install a PCIIIUSB?  Would help to know in my negotiation$.  Is it something I should be able to install  myself?

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144091620 -->

David
I know a guy selling an 04' w/ full RS-3 Yoshi 4:1 exhaust but says he doesn't have a PC or re-mapping?  He says it runs and idles smoothly.  Are mapping and PC 2 diff things?

Should I be concerned and should my first step be to purchase and install a PCIIIUSB?  Would help to know in my negotiation$.  Is it something I should be able to install  myself?
Yes and No.... Power commander is used to trick your ECU into thinking its see something different than it is. A map is the programing the PC/ECU uses to change the Fuel/air curve, etc... So, the answer to your question IMOP would be to add aftermarket air cleaner and yes buy a PCIII! Then get a map.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144091963 -->

Installation takes all of about 5 or 10 minutes.
As for the bike having a full system and running Ok...Maybe, but there is so much potential there waiting for a PC...
It will accelerate harder from a start and all through the gears with a PC and a good map...

David

David

the bike will still run fine without the new map on just exhaust, but with a map and the exhuast it will run even better. you need a pciii to put a map into to, i dont know if you can just load a new map into the bike or not. pciii is well worth the money, you could get one with a map from johnnycheese for a good price.

So, I think what we are saying is that it is not necessary, but it is a prefered mod when you change out the exhaust system
smile.gif

David

Yes and No.... Power commander is used to trick your ECU into thinking its see something different than it is. A map is the programing the PC/ECU uses to change the Fuel/air curve, etc... So, the answer to your question IMOP would be to add aftermarket air cleaner and yes buy a PCIII! Then get a map.
Aftermarket air cleaner...forgive me but could someone please elaborate? Do you mean a new K&N air filter for example?

what about the maps on power comander.com
or do i need to take it to a dyno to get the pdc map right

Got my exhaust (Akrapovic Evo) on this weekend (and took off PAIR).  Brought the laptop out and plugged it in.  When I started the bike it ran ok with power commander using stock map. I calibrated TPS then loaded the correct map, HUGE difference.  Leaned it out and throttle response was MUCH better.

So basically yea it will work without a map, but load the map and you will notice the difference immediately.

<!--EDIT|TheDude27
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144105152 -->

Got my exhaust (Akrapovic Evo) on this weekend (and took off PAIR). Brought the laptop out and plugged it in. When I started the bike it ran ok with power commander using stock map. I calibrated TPS then loaded the correct map, HUGE difference. Leaned it out and throttle response was MUCH better.

So basically yea it will work without a map, but load the map and you will notice the difference immediately.
i am installing a exhaust as we speak, ripped everything apart tonight. does the tps have to be set for the new exhaust? how do you do it?

Back