Is a 'busa a sensible bike to buy if ur lazy?

RudeBwoy

Registered
Yet again I'm considering what bike to get next and I'm pretty much decided on a big-bore which means a 'busa or "the other bike". I'm not a brand fanatic or love one so hate the other type of guy so please keep in mind that this inquiry is not that type and I would really rather not take the conversation down that alley.

My concern/question is basically if you are a guy that really isnt overly mechanically inclined/motivated is the bike like the Hayabusa a sensible bike to get. I'm thinking of things like the frequency with which you adjust/replace chains, tires, check and tighten bolts, screws and fasteners, etc.

Is it a bike that tolerates the kind of rider that just likes to kit up, perform the basic tests/checks, turn the key and go for the most part. Of course the necessity to follow factory recomended service schedules will be adhered to, but is the ownersip experience one that can be equated with say a SV-1000?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I would really like to add a bike like this to my stable and I put my bikes in a public storage unit so I'm not the kind of owner that has a garage/workshop where I can tinker, tighten and mod on a whim. I have some essential tools to do the little general stuff but also I'm a busy working guy and I have two other bikes that present themselves as easy going and relatively minor machines to pay attention to and maintain. One is liter class naked, the other is a 600cc class sportbike, adding another bike will obviously increase the amount of time and effort to make sure all is roadworthy and it'll be nice if I didnt have some particular machine that just imposed and demanded gobs of attention, time and excessive resources. Figure I'd be looking at riding about 4000 miles a year on each.

What are your ownership experiences with your 'busa's? Beside the obvious (chains, sprockets, tires), do they require a lot of attention?

they have no fur so you have to constantly keep them warm
biggrin.gif

post_6_30142_cozy_busa_in_the_house.jpg

G''day RB. I'm not sure about in relation to the SV but compared to an R6, a lot less hassle. It depends a lot on your style. The biggest issue with the Busa is that there is so much tasty stuff for it. So, for me at least, most of the spanner work is in the tweaking and modding. One the other side, the Busa doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller machines, this of course, reduces wear. Even tyre wear is acceptable if you have a smooth style. Another plus is that the design has been refined over a number of years, making design flaws minimal. The down side is when something big goes, it costs big. Bad stories are suprisingly rare given what this bike does best (sensible, mmm. I wonder sometimes lol). Every concievable problem is detailed here, in the forum. Do some reading and then get your cheque book ready. I bet you can't leave it stock. No one else can. Good luck to you. Treat it like a 200mph machine and it will take care of you.

Dude I can't really answer this one. I am just a big believer in maintenance period. You know in a car neglecting it is not so bad. When you ride something on two wheels being lazy with maintenance can be dangerous enough to cost you your life. Having said that I can tell you that the Busa is not a bike that breaks down much at all.

back tire is a severe problem the tread disappears rapidly for some reason
tounge.gif
other than that just the normal stuff oil change,chain cleaning and lube regularly, waxing and cleaning is like second nature so that doesn't count, after all who wants to ride a dirty bike.
wink.gif

best way to look at any piece of equipment is if you take care of it, It will take care of you!
cool.gif

Just leave it alone and mod small things you will be fine. Also find a good mechanic that you can trust for tires tunes etc.

Just got my busa a couple months back so i cant really say for certain but after reading hundreds of posts of guys who have 5-6 yr old busas i think they are pretty reliable.One guy on the board claims to have 90 thousand miles on it and he says its still going strong.But yeah get ready to keep a seperate piggy bank for the rear tires.Theyll cost u some extra bucks all right.

My wife rides a SV650S, and I can say that I have to adj my chain every 400 miles compared to every 800 miles on hers, but I also ride mine hard. It only takes 10 minutes to adj the chain, so no big deal there. As stated also tire tread seems to disappear on the rear for some odd reason. All in all it is a great bike.

Dude I can't really answer this one. I am just a big believer in maintenance period. You know in a car neglecting it is not so bad. When you ride something on two wheels being lazy with maintenance can be dangerous enough to cost you your life. Having said that I can tell you that the Busa is not a bike that breaks down much at all.
+1

oh, I completely agree with you regarding regular maintenance. I stated lazy to reflect more impress the amount of time a guy like me has on his hands to lend toward a thing like this. Again, work a lot, bike is in public storage so not a "workshop" to truly get the elbows dirty, that and it'll make bike number 3.

I've heard of some folks with bikes that seem to require a near constant wrenching of one sort or another to keep things good to go (italian twin, last gen harleys for example), either because it's mechanically, stucturally finnicky or he's a perpetual modder and just loves to tinker and really enjoys it. I'm just stressing that I'm not that guy, I firmly believe in standard/scheduled maintenance, I fully expect that the 'busa and the like will need a little extra attention because of the tire, chain trait. (Adjustment every 400 sounds...WOW. That's like after every full day of summer riding).

I guess what I was looking for moreso than anything else was to hear if any of y'all find that you need to be wrenching above what one should expect for a sportbike, of course except for the chain/tire thing as that is a known. I'm a guy that tries to learn as much as he can before commiting to choice, I hope to have no regrets and understand what to expect, this makes the ownership experience a fulfilling one and not one where all your thinking of is unloading your mistake, so bear with me, Big bores are a new subject with me.

Thanks for the feedback thus far..

"Big bores are a new subject with me" you have come to right spot for the answers. Batting 100 at the moment. If these guys can't answer it. it ain't worth knowing.

Busa's don't require any more maintenance than any other sport bike....something is wrong if you're adjusting the chain every 400 miles
wow.gif

Get a moped.
Lazy people shouldn't ride anything faster than a moped.
Happy Peddling!

Back