1-to-2nd tranmission click...

micronp450

Registered
I wanna say that I've noticed this problem starting ever since I switched to Amsoil a while after I bought the bike used when i finally did change the oil. I bought the bike used with about 5k miles which now has close to 9k.

The problem...

On regular cruising if I upshift to 2nd using mild-medium pressure instead of it clicking right into gear like all other gears it will most of the time "slip" and I will hear a lot clicking lol before it goes in and if it doesn't go in then it will be more prone to going into nuetral. It sounds real bad when it happens almost like its missing teeth off a gear.. If I go higher in the RPM's it seems to get worse and more prone to going into nuetral.. ugh.. Otherwise the bike runs great and goes 140+mph in the 1/4. If anyone needs anymore details that may help please let me know. Feel free to think out loud here.

Thanks a lot...

I wanna say that I've noticed this problem starting ever since I switched to Amsoil a while after I bought the bike used when i finally did change the oil.  I bought the bike used with about 5k miles which now has close to 9k.

The problem...

On regular cruising if I upshift to 2nd using mild-medium pressure instead of it clicking right into gear like all other gears it will most of the time "slip" and I will hear a lot clicking lol before it goes in and if it doesn't go in then it will be more prone to going into nuetral.  It sounds real bad when it happens almost like its missing teeth off a gear..  If I go higher in the RPM's it seems to get worse and more prone to going into nuetral..  ugh..    Otherwise the bike runs great and goes 140+mph in the 1/4.  If anyone needs anymore details that may help please let me know.  Feel free to think out loud here.

Thanks a lot...
Once its in 2nd does it act like its jumping in and out....ie alot of jerking and grinding?...if so then its time to replace 2nd gear and the associated engagement dogs. If not then you might be able to adjust your shift linkage to bring your shift lever down closer to your foot for a more positive shift. And also be sure and make a firm quick shift from first to second......the 2nd gear shift doesn't respond well to lazy shifting on any bike. Hope this helps
wink.gif

No, 2nd gear pretty much rides perfect. I'll pay more attention to it when I ride tomorrow. Can you explain more to me on how I adjust the linkage?

Thanks..

There was about 1 topic a week last summer talking about this happening to 05's, you didn't say what year yours is.

I wanna say that I've noticed this problem starting ever since I switched to Amsoil a while after I bought the bike used when i finally did change the oil.  I bought the bike used with about 5k miles which now has close to 9k.

The problem...

On regular cruising if I upshift to 2nd using mild-medium pressure instead of it clicking right into gear like all other gears it will most of the time "slip" and I will hear a lot clicking lol before it goes in and if it doesn't go in then it will be more prone to going into nuetral.  It sounds real bad when it happens almost like its missing teeth off a gear..  If I go higher in the RPM's it seems to get worse and more prone to going into nuetral..  ugh..    Otherwise the bike runs great and goes 140+mph in the 1/4.  If anyone needs anymore details that may help please let me know.  Feel free to think out loud here.

Thanks a lot...
Once its in 2nd does it act like its jumping in and out....ie alot of jerking and grinding?...if so then its time to replace 2nd gear and the associated engagement dogs. If not then you might be able to adjust your shift linkage to bring your shift lever down closer to your foot for a more positive shift. And also be sure and make a firm quick shift from first to second......the 2nd gear shift doesn't respond well to lazy shifting on any bike. Hope this helps  
wink.gif
+1

The problem...

Thanks a lot...
wink.gif
+1

Back