Need paint help

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
I guess this would be bike related, since this is going to be the paint going on my track bike.
rock.gif
wink.gif

Okay, I found a color after searching for a while. This is a pain in the azz when you're starting from scratch. Way too many options.

I need to know if these two colors are EXACTLY the same. I'm talking about the exact same pigments in the mix/formula.

Chevrolet: 21U / W218M Lazer Blue Metallic ('06 Chevy Impala SS)
Pontiac: 21U / W227M Blue Streak Metallic ('06 Pontiac Torrent)

These colors look almost identical to the naked eye. A royal blue with a purplish tint depending on how the sun is hitting it. I'm trying to pick the one that would have more of a purple tint if they're different. The internet pictures do not do these colors justice.

I've been toying with everything from an Aqua Pearl metallic, an '06 Corvette Sunburst Orange metallic, Purple Pearl metallic, a Charcoal Gray, and even White, but once I saw the colors above, in person, I knew that was the one. Still blue, but enough purple tint to be different than everybody else at the track.

Could the Pro's please look up the formulas and see if they are the same, but have different codes for each manufacturer?

Thanks
cool.gif

dang....wish I knew someone that could help, stkr.

Free bump for ya, though.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the
bump.gif
's As long as it doesn't slip off the page
wink.gif

One reason I'm going with a darker color than the Aqua is due to the vinyl stickers/logo's that will be going on the bike. The aqua would be a sharp color, but it would be hard to get stickers that would show up well in the track photos. The other reason is due to the bike having white rims. I think with the white rims, you need to have a color that contrasts them, and not compliments them.

Here's the aqua pearl I really like...Imagine this in the sun
cool.gif

Rayflex_aquapearl.jpeg

This is the purple. I almost chose this, but I didn't want to have the "Barney Bike"
laugh.gif

Rayflex_purple.jpeg

Oh...for what it's worth...

The guy doing the painting is using Sikkens paint. He'll be shooting it over the factory Armour Bodies primer on the bodywork.

I stripped the tank down to bare metal, and he'll be using an epoxy primer on it prior to shooting the new paint. Stripping a tank is a pain in the azz! Even using a chemical stripper.

Thanks NJ
cool.gif
I sent Smokin_Gunz a Pm with the link, so I don't have to keep bumping this every 1/2 hour
laugh.gif

Did some searching, and found these two different paint formula numbers to go along with the codes.

W218M - Formula: 67830
W227M - Formula: 68198

Due to the ingredients, which would be more purple?

yo thanks nj. stkr00i do not have the equipment to check the accuracy of the color match, sorry. but maannnnn that aqua AND purple combination would be the SH*T with some silver 06 le wheels and silver pinstiping on the paint...maaannnn.

No problem Smokin Gunz
cool.gif
I never thought about the two color together...that would be sharp, but the painter agreed to do only one solid color with no fancy graphics. Neither he or I have the time to spare for that. Maybe next time though.

I just got home, but on the way home I went by one of the body shops to look at the two chips side/side. The W218M "is" the more purple of the two, so I had given the painter the correct code to begin with. I found the W227M code after the fact at a different dealership.

The bodyshop guys, Rob, was very helpful even though he knew that someone else was painting it. They'll probably get my future business. He pulled up the color formulas and discussed how each of the different pigment/additives would effect the final look. He was even willing to mix up a bit and make a test sheet for me to pick up on Monday, although I'll be out of town. Helluva guy...very helpful
cool.gif

I can't wait to get back next weekend to see my fresh bodywork.

cool.gif

Back