Motorcycle drivers license

oldbird

Registered
Been riding on and off for 20 years.I'm going to try to get it next week don't know why after so long but I'm going to try. Those of you who have one is it hard to get and what do you do THAnks

different in different states. in virginia, i had to pay my money, take a test, pass test, get temp restricted license, and return within a year but not sooner than 30 days, take riding test, pay more money, get new drivers license with m/c endorsement. if you take motorcycle safety course, you just have to take your completion card in and the driving and waiting part is waived. i had to take the msf course anyway because i am military.

I just got my motorcycle license in Oct. 2005 after not riding since 1989. I took the MSF course to get it that way. Not too bad. The local MVA (DMV equivalent) in Maryland supplies the bikes needed to take the course. Pretty easy to pass the riding tests on a 250cc.

In Oklahoma this is how i think it works . You take your written exam then have a officer follow you giving you directions via an electronic communications device .

Or you take the written , then do a two day motorcycle Safety Course and upon passing the course you take the certificate in and walla you get the " M " endorsement placed on your driving license . The latter was what my Son opted for a couple years back.

I have the M endorsment grandfathered in from back at age 14  . Back then the written then the oficer watched you drive around the court house city block .

The " in " thing back then was to do a wheelie on the other side of the court house when you were out of view
biggrin.gif

different in different states. in virginia, i had to pay my money, take a test, pass test, get temp restricted license, and return within a year but not sooner than 30 days, take riding test, pay more money, get new drivers license with m/c endorsement.  if you take motorcycle safety course, you just have to take your completion card in and the driving and waiting part is waived.  i had to take the msf course anyway because i am military.
I took an advanced rider saftey class and did all the road test maneuvers on the Busa. I've had my bike licence since 1978 though. Just practice riding figure 8's real slow without touching your feet, like your on a trials bike!!
laugh.gif
Then speed up a little and use your brakes hard to where you can stop the front wheel in about a 3 foot box. If you can do that you got it made
smile.gif

In 'Bama, upon birth... you get it (Motorcycle License) with your handgun permit and "I hope Neil Young will remember" Tshirt!
moderator.gif

From SoCal here and had to take a written/road test @ the DMV to get the endorsement.  Before the actual ride exam, I'd go to the DMV lot and practiced riding the course (figure 8s/donuts, etc.).  When the exam day came, I was very ready and familiar with the course.

I also took the MSF course (basic & advanced) FREE via the military as it is required to get a base sticker.

<!--EDIT|kromdom
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143068090 -->

I have a class    A   CDL with M endorsement(motorcycle) had motorcycle for about 8 yrs now cdl for 10 yrs   I'm 34
biggrin.gif

In Texas if you do the Motorcycle Safety Course (approved course) it counts as your driving part go down and take written part you have your M endorsement
I have never wanted anyone behind me honking their horn telling me which way to go.

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143067598 -->

im 37 had one since 17 with Class AM CDL with PTX endorcments if its got wheels i can drive it..

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143072075 -->

I just got my motorcycle license in Oct. 2005 after not riding since 1989. I took the MSF course to get it that way. Not too bad. The local MVA (DMV equivalent) in Maryland supplies the bikes needed to take the course. Pretty easy to pass the riding tests on a 250cc.
+1 ......same here i took mine june 2005

nice fun but very hot tho
down.gif

Do you really have to have a special license just to ride a motorcycle?
Here in WI it's just an endorsement on your current license. But yes, you need it. If you're caught driving without it, it's no different than driving a car without a license.
It's the same here in FL.. I think... I hope rather... Kevin was just being humorless.. ummmm humorous~

I've had mine since 2000~ In Florida you can take the writen test, free of charge, and if passed you get a riding permit~ The permit lets you ride for up to 90 days (if memory serves me right) or until you take the riding test.. which ever comes first~ Some people will just keep renewing the permit and ride with that~
The riding test can be tough for some~ It consists of some quick stop and evasive manuvours, backwards U-turn (the instuctor and I went round and round on why I had to perform an illegal move, if on the street, for my test**), weaving thru some cones, and.. I think I'm forgetting something there~ It's best to do the riding test on a smaller bike~ My first time on the riding test.. I failed on the cone weaving~ Went home and put some soda cans out in front of the house, measured to spec by the booklet, and practiced for a few days~ Went back the following week and passed with a perfect score~
Once you pass the riding test, it's a simple 10 charge to add an endorcment to your drivers license~ It's not really hard to pass~ Go for it... you kin do it!
super.gif

**the instructor had explained to me the reason for doing a backwards (right handed) U-turn was "to see how well you can handle the bike in ackward conditions"~

In Missouri, you need to pass the written test to get your permit. You can complete the MSF course instead of taking the driving test.

i got my license a few years ago and i did it on the "busa" what a b1tch it was doing figure 8's ,but i managed to swing it. my advice, try to borrow a light bike if possible.

Back