Hayabusa vs. r1

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Last year I raced an R1 pilot I work with. It was a 2001 with slip-ons and my Busa was stock. We rolled at about 30 and gunned it. He stayed with me through 1st gear, after that he saw my tailight fading. Now he is a proud 2 month owner of a 2006 R1 Raven, and of course he wants revenge. I have tried to avoid this for a while now because the way I see it, I have nothing to gain even if I win. My bike has a full exhaust while his is still stock. If I beat him, of course it'll be because I have the exhaust plus and extra 300 cc's on him ... at least that'll be what he says. But if he beats me, I'll never hear the end of it. You could imagine how the constant 2 month worth of nagging can get to someone, and now its getting to me. At this point, I just want to shut him up.

Its kind of hard to get this going because I work Sun-Fri and try to save Sat. for family and rest. He works the day shift. As for the race, it won't be a 1/4 mile run. Anyone familiar with the 9/10th's Phantom12 always spoke of? He has been attending some of these and wants to race me in that fashion. Basically its a slow roll (20 - 30 mph) for 1/10th of a mile , then all hell breaks loose for the remaining 9/10th. I don't know when it'll happen, but it will happen.

I'll be sure to post the results.

Now for the tale of the tape:

Bikes:
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa vs. 2006 Yamaha R1 Raven

Hayabusa Modifications:
Brock Hindle full exhaust
PAIR removed
Power Commander (PCIIIusb)
Airbox modification
Front lowered 4mm ( As seen here ) Yes, I was bored that day!

Raven Modifications:
Power Commander
Front lowered 1 1/2 - 2 inches

Riders' Weight:
Raven pilot 60lbs. heavier than Hayabusa pilot

Riders' racing capabilites:
Edge goes to the Raven pilot since he has had multiple 9/10th races while the Hayabusa pilot has had none. Key word here is "edge". Hayabusa pilot has had many races, just not in this particular fashion.

Wish me luck ... wait a minute, do I need it?

Good luck, and be safe.

And oh yeah, don't worry about the Raven. I have one in my garage (my brother's), and that won't be a problem.
cool.gif

If it was a new ZX10, I would be midly concerned. No worries on a Raven, but good luck anyway

Probs to take on a Raven?
rock.gif
??

Don't forget your on the best bike of the world, and he's driving a Yamaha
biggrin.gif

Go get hem (but be save)

Considering he weights 60lbs MORE than you it should be an easy WIN. Go out and practice the mentioned race and your Clutch (lever) LESS shifts. That is the key and stay tucked. Even if you were even weight anything over 150mph and you will just pull and pull and pull....
laugh.gif

Go and practice your 9/10's mile runs....with some practice and your weight
advantage you should be fine
wink.gif

hes going to leave you at the start , you best be on your game to get him before the end of the race. sj

Raven won't be problem so be calm and also be careful while riding ...

Thanks all. And yes, I'll be as safe as I can be.

Man, I didn't think the R1 was that far behind the K5/K6's and the ZX-10's. As already mentioned I'm sure those 2 bikes would have caused some concern, but it seems as if everyone is comfortable with the Falcon eating the Raven (canabalistic ... ain't it!
tounge.gif
).

I'll see if I can get it going this weekend. And to think, I thought I was going to need a 16T up front to run with the liter bikes of today.

Also, as of Sunday there is an '06 ZX-10R at my job but the rider isn't exactly the racing type. Has anyone seen the ramair on that thing? Looking at it from the front doesn't do it justice. If you see one, check it out from the side to see just how much of the nose is actually air intake. Wow!

Click below to see.
Looks like there should be a headlight there.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE R1!!! On my last track day at Willow Springs, I got passed on the main 1/2 mile straight like I was standing still!!! Yes, I was on the power hard thru turn 9, downshifted 2 gears before that, in full tuck, head underneath windscreen like a MotoGP Racer, WOFT thru the gears!!! Of course it was one of the Pro instructors who happens to race with the Willow Springs Motorcycle Club and WERA and the R1 was a 2006 YZF-R1 LE (the $21,000 version). A good rider on the newer R1's will lay waste to most good riders on Busas (on tracks and twisties). I don't know about the 1/4's, or 9/10's though. But in top speed, Busa WILL WIN HANDS DOWN! It'll just take a couple of miles.

Here it is as piloted by Colin Edwards, Vale Rossi's teamate.

06SPBK-24YB-0701.jpg

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE R1!!!). A good rider on the newer R1's will lay waste to most good riders on Busas (on tracks and twisties). I don't know about the 1/4's, or 9/10's though. But in top speed, Busa WILL WIN HANDS DOWN! It'll just take a couple of miles.

Here it is as piloted by Colin Edwards, Vale Rossi's teamate.

06SPBK-24YB-0701.jpg
+1. When the power is comparable , its all about the rider.

Thanks all. And yes, I'll be as safe as I can be.

Man, I didn't think the R1 was that far behind the K5/K6's and the ZX-10's. As already mentioned I'm sure those 2 bikes would have caused some concern, but it seems as if everyone is comfortable with the Falcon eating the Raven (canabalistic ... ain't it!
tounge.gif
).

I'll see if I can get it going this weekend. And to think, I thought I was going to need a 16T up front to run with the liter bikes of today.

Also, as of Sunday there is an '06 ZX-10R at my job but the rider isn't exactly the racing type. Has anyone seen the ramair on that thing? Looking at it from the front doesn't do it justice. If you see one, check it out from the side to see just how much of the nose is actually air intake. Wow!

Click below to see.
Looks like there should be a headlight there.
The ZX10 is a bad machine. I wont race one.

I'm guessing you should win this one. Seems like the 9/10's were made for the big bore bikes (zx12, busa). First, liter bikes are geared tall, like 100mph in first gear @ redline. So I would think the R1 would be turning around 3300rpm at the hit. The R1 is notorious for lack of low-end torque and doesn't make appreciable power till over 7K, but from what I understand it is a monster once in its powerband. And you're friend is heavier to boot. And we all know the Busa is all about torque everywhere. So you should get get some lengths on him at the beginning. He might reel you in somewhere in the middle, but seeing as how you have a full system and power commander he has no horsepower advantage on you. Of course this is all guesswork.

I say practice and have fun.

Nothing to worry about. You have more CC's, more performance mods and less weight.

Like GB said, just practice your tuck and your clutchless shifting. The R1's gears run pretty tall, so just be sure that you don't miss a shift and that you don't bounce the limiter. 9/10ths? I don't think he's in the R1's racing element. He'll have a better chance to spank you in the 1/4.

Back