Proper tire psi

BusaBoyBatman

Registered
uun-winterizing my bike and want to fill my tires to the proper psi and the tires dont say and neither does the book.....So what is it?
rock.gif
Thanks

Depends on conditions, manufacturer's recommendations, style of riding and payload. Metzler says to start a baseline at 36 psi (M1 Sportecs). Warm the tires up and ride like you normaly do for 15 or 20 minutes. Take a reading. If the pressure reading is over 5 pounds difference, add 2 pounds because the tire is building too much heat too quickly or underinflated condition. If the reading is less then 3 pounds diff, add 2 pounds. In other words, you want a diff of 5 lbs cold to hot. So, at 225 lbs and with my typical "ride it like it's stolen style", I found the 36 psi cold works perfect for me. Disclaimer: this plagerized from suzukihayabusa.com, the infamous "kirk". I think I have it right....

Expect "a" drop in tire pressure for every 10 degree drop in temp.

42.  Happy sliding!

psssst!  if you like leaning, use way less
I have NEVER had a problem running 42 in any tire that I have run. But I am fully aware that it’s different strokes for different folks. I read the initial posts as asking what Suzuki printed in the Hayabusa owner’s manual for air pressure.

If you have a big mama on the back that needs a wide load sign and flashing yellow warning lights, then run 42 psi. Or if you are maxing your bike out to see just how fast that puppy will go, 42 psi. However, if you are riding without a passenger and you aren't looking to max the speedo out over long distances, I'd run less. Most of the guys I know run around 36 psi for every day riding. That's where I run mine and it works quite well. If I'm off on a long trip, I'll move up to 38 psi. If you want maximun sticky, 30 - 32 psi will help heat up the tire for good grip.

Different strokes for different folks. Ask ten different guys and you'll get ten different answers. You can actually run anywhere between 30 and 42 psi and not get into trouble. Just whatever makes you feel comfortable. Like Moondog said, I'd start out with 36 psi and go up and down a little at the time and see what you like. Hot weather takes more air than cold weather in order to keep your grip consistant.

If you have a big mama on the back that needs a wide load sign and flashing yellow warning lights, then run 42 psi. Or if you are maxing your bike out to see just how fast that puppy will go, 42 psi. However, if you are riding without a passenger and you aren't looking to max the speedo out over long distances, I'd run less. Most of the guys I know run around 36 psi for every day riding. That's where I run mine and it works quite well. If I'm off on a long trip, I'll move up to 38 psi. If you want maximun sticky, 30 - 32 psi will help heat up the tire for good grip.

Different strokes for different folks. Ask ten different guys and you'll get ten different answers. You can actually run anywhere between 30 and 42 psi and not get into trouble. Just whatever makes you feel comfortable. Like Moondog said, I'd start out with 36 psi and go up and down a little at the time and see what you like. Hot weather takes more air than cold weather in order to keep your grip consistant.
+1

Suzuki says 42psi....try 36-38 for solo riding, for two up go with 42
wink.gif

Back