How do i sand?

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
What grit sand paper do I need and techniques I will have to use to sand the plastics and tank down?

Is this a long process?

Also there is a guy on this site that has spray on primer on his bike and would like to know what kind it is. Thanks.

Sanding is a pain in the a$$ but, if it is still the factory paint job it won't be that bad. I am sanding mine down now and I am useing 220 fine grit sand paper to get through the clear coat and the 600 grit to remove the rest of the paint. It will take alittle time but just be patient and don't rush it. Be careful on the tank as well. Try not to sand all the way down to the metal. Hope this helps.

This all depends on what you want to do. If you are just repainting your bike and there is no damage, wet sand with 400 all the way and directly paint over that.

If there is damage you are fixing, I would use a air sander with 180 grit and then prime over that with a good two part urethane primer.

Most primers when applied rite will cover 100 grit scratches, but I would not go lower than that.

When I done my bike I sanding everything with my air sander then feathered it all out be hand. Then I primed everything but the undertail and fender. This all gets hand wet sanded the next day with 400 grit then finish with 600 grit if you want it real slick.

I used a DA (dual action) sander with 220 grit to start and then switched to 400, but I took it down to the plastic. after that I got some cheap NAPA primer and wet sanded that with 1000 grit then painted

Thanks for the tip guys I will soak in and come up with a plan and get a sander. You use wet sanding method, I always heard of it, but not actually how to do it so I will research. Or is there an actual wet handheld electric sander?

If you have no scratches just wet sand with 220 or 400 and paint right over the old paint because the old paint is the best sealer there is.
But if you're taking all the paint off use a DA as quoted earlierget as much as possible then use 220 to finish it up
(Careful with the DA sand evenly and smoothly if you let it set in one place to long you'll develop low spots not seen until you throw new paint on it)

Do not use a lacquer based paint over the stock paint or you will see it lift soo fast.Or lacquer primer.
Most do not use it anymore,most use eurethane or acrylic enamel.

Back