Bike week - worst ever?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I was listening to the news at noon today. They announced that this was the worst Bike Week (I assume they meant Daytona) in it's history, 164 accidents and 16 deaths.

Did anyone else hear that? Could this be correct? Did my ears deceive me? Maybe to much alcohol combined with to much HP?

I heard it was 18 people dead, I didnt hear how many actual accidents they said it was deadliest ever. (it was 15 deaths in 2000).
They think because the weather was so nice, more people were there, (so that is more idiots drinking and ridding)

That is sad man.....just dumb to drink and ride...

sad.gif

I don't think they have a helmet law in Florida
sad.gif
alcohol and bike week without a lid
grim.gif

I heard it was 18 people dead, I didnt hear how many actual accidents they said it was deadliest ever. (it was 15 deaths in 2000).
They think because the weather was so nice, more people were there, (so that is more idiots drinking and ridding)
+1. 18 fatalities is what I read. Pretty sad too since there's consideration for reinstating the helmet law in Florida. I'd guess a good percentage of them were alcohol related.

"David H. Hudson, 63, of Lake Wales was killed after a sport utility vehicle struck the back of his motorcycle when he was stopped at a light on West International Speedway Boulevard and Tomoka Farms Road in Daytona Beach." (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-vbikedeaths1106mar11,0,4045092.story)

Thats how my friend past away. Just waiting for the traffic light and a freak car creams him.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Always watch your back even waiting at the traffic light.

mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

alot of newbies too, from all the tv shows on bikes, everyone wants to and thinks they can ride...

<!--EDIT|smokin_gunz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142312823 -->

NO helmet law in Florida. I went to bike week a couple times and there is 1 helmet for every 50 without. More bikes fewer helmets means more deaths. There is also a big push for harsher laws when a car does kill a biker. Was reading about that too.

I would love to see how many were on cruisers. And yet our insurance is high.

yea, i read the paper b 4 i left the airport and it was 18 total deaths. 14 in daytona and 4 in the surrounding areas. they didnt say how they died, but they said 1 was from someone doing "tricks" .

There seemed to be a campaign designed at biker awareness in the papers and TV in Daytona. Not sure of the impact though. Doesn't sound like it got thru to the cagers.

The police were everywhere it seemed. Also seemed like the first time bike owners were out in high numbers, saw some real dumbarses. I saw one group of yound kids that nearly got killed 3 times in the 5 minutes I was keeping a CLOSE eye on 'em.

RIP to the fallen

In all but one case the CAGE driver was at fault.
As soon as I find the peper that had that stat I'll post
it. Several of the deaths involved 2 up bikes.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1370"|1142356420 -->

sounds like the bike week was crazy.... thats why when I go to them, I leave my bike at home
wink.gif
Ever done that
rock.gif
allows you to enjoy all the aspects of the show without the worries about getting dead, bike stolen, etc

R.I.P. to all the fallen riders, and yes at those events it is best to leave ones bike at home ZUKRACER!

I know you guys are going to curse me for this but riding with a helmet should be your choice not mandated by law. If that was the case I would like to see every case of a car hitting a bike the driver gets charged with Manslaughter. I have matching helmets and jackets and alot less congestion up here in Maine but probably more animals than most places but I hate to have my freedoms pissed away by lawmakers with nothing else to do but sit around and think up new laws so they can justify there huge paychecks.

Back