Harley vs a sportbike

kulwhip0081

Donating Member
Registered
Alright...i dont have a bike but i am looking. I was talking with a guy i work with and he is telling me that I am crazy for wanting a suzuki GSXR 600 or a "crochrocket" for that matter as my first bike. He said that I would have less control and should get a harley or similar bike. What do you guys think? I want the gixxer but have never rode so i don't know which is the best way to go!!

Easy answer, my first street bike was a 04 Yamaha R6.  I rode dirt bikes for 3+ years. As long as you take it slow and learn the bike, you will be fine.  Just be responsible (this should apply no matter your experience).  I have a friend as well who is a hardcore Harley rider (he is only 26).  He can keep it, I love my "crotch rocket".

<!--EDIT|Youkai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141936236 -->

I guess it depends on if you wanna ride it or work on it. Spend money makin it look sweet or it suckin your sweet money out of you? And finally, do you wanna belong to the coolest board on the web?

P.S.My first bike was a Busa.

Um, You have do decide whats in your head. If you have good self control, want a bike that really handles out in the twisties and is just all around a trouble free, fun ride? Get a sportbike and an MSF class.

If you just want to putter round town and pose and such? Get a Harley.

They are at opposite ends of the motorcycle spectrum.

Any A** that call a " Sportbike" a Crotch Rocket should go back to 1985.

Just some info.. Harley's are harder to manuver around versus a sportbike.
Most cruiser guys state "sportbike" facts and have never ridden them, therefore just spreading hearsay. Get the sportbike.. With good power, great brakes and great handling you can't go wrong.

Well I take my class the 14-16 of April so i have that covered. And I don't want to be one of those idiots I see riding around town pretending they're cool. I don't plan on being an idiot on the bike either. I want to learned to ride before I try to kill myself. And I'm a girl so not only do I have to prove to myself that I can ride I have to prove to the guys that I can ride too. I would like a harley...when i'm old...but not right now. Thanks for your input!!

Well timmyduck i think he is from 1985, so that would probably account for his remarks. I think he rides an OLD honda...looks like something my dad thought was kul when he was in his 20s

Keep the Girl stuff on the lowdown, safe yourself an ambush here on the board.
laugh.gif

Really it's up to you and what you want to do. One thing to consider is seat height, if your a shorty then harley may be the best choice. If your over about 5'7" then a sportbike won't be a problem. Sportbike seats are pretty tall.

But get what you want, based on what YOU want to do.

Then buy an inexpensive used version of whichever you choose first. Heck you may find that you don't even like to ride.
wink.gif

Take the MSF and then buy an SV650. Nice bike with plenty of power and very agile.

I found that riding a sport bike was far easier than the Harley, but I also had buckhorn handlebars on the Harley, put forward controls on there too...after taking a spin on the hubby's Harley with dragbars, I found it so much easier to control the steering...

After getting the Busa, I couldn't believe how EASY it was to control over the Harley, but that is just my opinion
cool.gif

Just some info.. Harley's are harder to manuver around versus a sportbike.
Most cruiser guys state "sportbike" facts and have never ridden them, therefore just spreading hearsay. Get the sportbike.. With good power, great brakes and great handling you can't go wrong.
+1

Not to mention ALOT lighter

It's ultimately up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Your first bike should be one that doesn't cost you a bundle, and fits you. Once you've taken the MSF course, you'll have a better idea of what to look for. A used bike like an SV650 is good to start with. There are many that start out on sportbikes and never have any problems, but the law of averages says that new riders with less than 5000 miles are more likely to crash. This is mainly due to a lack of experience and feel for the bikes controls...not just maturity level.

Shop around. Go to the dealerships and test fit as many bikes as you can to get a feel for how easy it is to hold up and balance. Also check body position for comfort.

Good Luck
cool.gif
...and...Welcome to the board
beerchug.gif

get any bike you don't mind dropping 1 - 5 times your first year
+1 and pretty sound advice if I may add. My first bike was a KAW EX500 and dropped it the first minute I owned it (had a few more after that).

Excellent idea with the MSF course and you sound like your attitude/priorities are on track!

BTW, I am also a fan of Harleys (have owned 3 thus far) and will actually get another one later this year. And YES, the busa is staying!

If goals eventually are a busa down the road. A Katana might be a bike to think about also. As it is a heavier bike similar to the busa and more so than a gixxer and you can usually get a pretty good deal on a used one. The msf class will be a great experience for you. It was the smartest thing i did once i decided to get into this great hobby!
smile.gif

I say first sit on both; you can tell a lot just from how it feels. Make sure your feet sit flat on the ground, whichever one your chose. The sportsbike will be lighter and easier to control, while the Harley will be more comfortable over a longer ride. Good luck!

+2 on the SV and getting a bike you don't mind dropping a few times the first year. The biggest problem with a sport bike as a first bike (if you rode in the dirt, then it's not your first bike), is leaning to manuver it around in the garage and while doing maintenance. Any bike with full plastics will be more expensive to repair when you drop it in the driveway.

I guess the Hardley has that going for it. The more you drop it, the better it looks
smile.gif

the best way to phrase it since I already know you are about to do your MSF course from your other thread is get what you want you'll be happier, but give yourself plenty of time for a learning curve, take it slow for awhile getting used to it. THROTTLE CONTROL is a must on all bikes but just moreso on a sportbike.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Back