Summer riding

unkleslapnutz

Donating Member
Registered
Since this is my first summer on a bike i was wondering if there is anything the members here do to get ready for the hotter weather? I have already ordered the muzzy fan, as my morning commute this morning when straight to hell after a wreck sent all of us down side roads doing 5mph and my bike into hot as hell mode. I have also started looking at some mesh jackets. Any other things i should be looking for?

i put a manual switch to my fan on mine. so you can turn fan on whenever you want.it helps alot.do a search instuctiona are here somewhere!!!!

I just put engine ice in mine. I haven't ridden with it yet but back in October, me & a buddy were riding together in a parade. His bike stayed cool with the engine ice..........my light came on............I did the math.
umnik.gif

Uhhhhhh
wink.gif
 you do like to sweat don't ya
laugh.gif

Joking aside, if your going slow, I don't know what will help you personally if you have gear on. HOT is HOT no matter where you are. Muzzy fan and Engine Ice would probably do the trick
cool.gif

You could get ya some mesh gloves and pants too.

Just don't ride naked. You'll blister your berries. It's not worth it man... it's not worth it.
AAAssjani.gif

laugh.gif

I'm glad you posted this. I was considering iCON's slip on armor so I could wear lighter clothing. They cover all the critical body parts much like a roller-blader. You might be able to get away with T-Shirt & Shorts with their gear.

At least - that's a theory. I'm still investigating this too.

I am actually selling my Icon leather jacket because it is too big for me now that I have shed some pounds. I am looking at Joe Rocket mesh jacket, cant remember the name but it is the one with the leather on the sleeves and shoulders. I have a set of Joe Rocket gloves that are part textile/mesh and part leather along with vents to force air in. I do have two questions...where can I get the engine ice? And if I pick up some textile/mesh pants (joe rocket has a pair with a zip out portion for air flow) can I just wear shorts under them? I dont mind sweating because like someone said here one sweat will dry.

I always buy gear with the idea I might have to use it to save my SKIN
wow.gif
. That's why I have never seen the use of mesh. If you go down, what good is it
rock.gif
? Kinda like frame sliders, unless your slow, they really don't do much, and if your going fast you need all the help you can get ! Not knocking frame sliders they're useful, but if I am going that slow, I don't need gear to save me ! My .02 cents
blush.gif

leave all your gear at home when it's hot. Just wear shorts, sandles, muscle shirt and sunglasses to keep the bugs out. That way you will stay cool and enjoy the ride. That's what it's all about ride? ENJOYING THE RIDE! Just think of that crisp, morning breeze blowing through your hair... and the less gear you have on the cooler the bike stays, not having to haul as much weight, and the air will get around it easier, keeping it cooler.

Don't listen to me

I dont plan on listening to you. And I dont ride without my gear. But then I only have the basics. I know there are people here on the board that have multiple jackets and gloves and helmets. All my gear right now is more toward the cooler riding months we are in. But here in NC it gets pretty steamy in the summer. I am just looking to call on some of the opinions of people with diffrent jackets. So is the mesh THAT big of a drop in protection for daily commute. I am going to pick up another leather jacket for my "fun" rides.

Is the mesh jacket a big drop in protection compaired to Leather ---- In one word -- YES !!

As the old saying goes: "You'st pays your money, Ya takes your chances".

Me, summer or winter, if I go down, I want leather between me and the pavement when I'am sliding
cool.gif
. The only thing the mesh will do is soak up your Blood  
sad.gif

decide your safety factor and wear what feels good-check the weather channel the night before---

I won't wear mesh. yes, it's better than a t-shirt, but it's not the BEST protection. I prefer the best. Leather - even in 100+ for me, until something better comes along. but that's just me

Back