Texas helmet laws figured out

craigntx

Registered
in tx going lidless is legal if the rider either has health coverage (at least $10k worth)
or takes an approved rider safety course

thing is, theres 2 courses
the beginners course- runs anywhere between $190-290
where you ride a supplied bike, helmet, gloves..
and it takes 2-3 day sessions to complete

the advanced course- supply own bike and gear, only $75

in contacting the course sites, i kept hearing that one must take the beginner course to qualify for the helmet exemption.
this i discovered today is bs
i think theyve been trying to lie to ppl to upsell the higher priced course
the advanced course is all it takes
im taking mine sat or sun, weather permitting, at BOSS HOSS CYCLES on the south loop in houston.
the lady there confirmed the advanced course is all thats needeed
{dont bother to flame me on helmets, im 40 and if i wanna go w/o i darn well will}

not sure what the stats are but I guarantee the fatality rate is much higher riding without a helmet. Infact I think most deaths are due to head trauma. You have any family members, kids, girlfriend, wife, brothers, sisters, or friends.

Just something to think about
wink.gif

We have a helmet law here in California, so I have to wear one. If was not required to wear one....there would be some instances that I would not.

I agree that there are more fatalities when they are not worn....but if you are going real fast and come to a sudden stop....your dead  
sad.gif

They are some crashes were the rider survives the wreck because he was wearing his/her lid.....only to be a vegetable for the rest of their days.

So its your choice....ride or don't ride....helmet no helmet.....die,survive or be a veggie  
rock.gif

Actually, I have read that those who ride without a helmet have accounted for "0" fatalities.
biggrin.gif

I haven't understood Tx's helmet law since it came out. Whoever wrote it has to be in the top ten of the dumbest people on the planet.

Your state has also filed a Bill supporting lane sharing. Did you know?

Texas is amongst three states in total that are proactively moving toward passing legislation into law that will allow motorcyclist to "split" lanes, legally, at appropriate times of their congested commute.

Washington State's congress has met for the second time on this matter and currently is in recess deliberating.

Go to www.LaneShare.com and write your appropriate congressperson to share your support toward this and other states enactment of this law.

It is your right!

I used to lane split all the time when I commuted from Oceanside to Irvine in california, came in real handy at the stupid border patrol check point. As for helmets I never wore one(weather permitting) while I had my Vulcan 1500, and I rode that thing coast to coast, it was just to hot sometimes. But when I got the gsxr I loved my lid, it sucked to ride without it due to the wind. And on the dirt with my ATV and TT600 the helmet has come in very useful numerous times. If you ride sensibly and keep your head on a swivel helmet or not makes no differance, to each his own.

Many good points, a person could get in a wreck and become a vegetable. Of course 99.9% of accidents without a helmet result in fatalities. People have the right to do as they wish, however, I think they should consider the effects of irresponsible acts on others. A vegetable will need considerable care for life, thus requiring someone to provide such care. I was stationed at Fort Hood for three years and spent countless hours on I-35 back and forth between Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth on weekends. There is no way in hell that I would ride without a lid while riding in the great state of Texas.

There is no way in hell that I would ride without a lid while riding in the great state of Texas.
+1 No helmet law in this state , unless you're under 18 . After a couple of wrecks over the years , none of which were my fault , I wear mine now . I used to say I'd never wear one either . After a few visits to the hospital , I'm a changed man .....lids and leathers !!

Back