Slipping clutch

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
I think my clutch is starting to slip.... sucks! I remember Gunny's thread about his clutch lasting like 45K....I'm only at 15...what gives? (besides my clutch -ba dum bum)... Anything that I can do?

How hard do ya ride? Drag any? Could it be that your discs might be glazed a bit? Seems I have heard that you can take em out and rough em up a bit, resoak em andslap em back in. Could be that some stiffer springs are the cure too...

I don't think I ride that hard at all. I short shift (about 4-4500), not very many high speed runs, no drags...
Might have to look at the disks...

How hard do ya ride?  Drag any?  Could it be that your discs might be glazed a bit?  Seems I have heard that you can take em out and rough em up a bit, resoak em andslap em back in.  Could be that some stiffer springs are the cure too...
+1

Mine slips in 2nd gear when and the throttle hard, all the rest are fine. I talked to Mick and he said he knew of a guy that had the same problem with 2nd gear. Looks like a beefier clutch kit and springs for me.

How can you tell if your clutch is slipping?

A good troubleshoot that narrows it down to slipping clutch.

I have 31k and I think mine might be... not sure?

I have noticed that when I shift into 1st on a cold morning, then I get an aweful clunky feel/sound when taking of...definately grinding gears. Also, while programming my gear indicator tonight, I had the scoot up on a rear stand and I could feel the bike bouncing as the clutch seemed to slip.... then the gear indicator started going crazy... troubleshooting guide says that could be caused by a slipping clutch. I also noticed that on the rear stand, in Neutral, the rear tire wanted to spin....

Mine slips in 2nd gear when and the throttle hard, all the rest are fine.  I talked to Mick and he said he knew of a guy that had the same problem with 2nd gear.  Looks like a beefier clutch kit and springs for me.
You likely have an F'd up transmission and not a clutch problem. Don't have time to type a bunch but the second gear 'slipping' or 'jumping' feeling is not a clutch. Think about it, the clutch would slip in all gears, not just 2nd.

Had the same problem and brought the motor/tranny to AMI Racing. Not just second gear toasted, all the gears were out of spec and the two upper sfist forks needed replacing.

Oh well, brand new tranny now for who ever buys her.
smile.gif

how can you tell if yer clutch if slipping?
Find a steep hill,go up in a taller gear 3rd or 4th, pound the throttle,thats the easiest to hear and feel.

-MC'stang... tire spins when on the rear stand in neutral,thats normal.

-sounds crunchy when cold,thats normal.

-bouncy feeling when in gear and on stand,normal.Not good to do by the way...no load on motor and drive train.

-gear indicator going crazy...normal,most likely wont do it when riding.

qwik fixes before dropping big money on new clutch.

1.change oil...dirty oil,slipping clutch
2.stronger clutch springs...cheap mod,works awesome
3.shuffle the deck...drag racers unpack the clutch and shuffle the driven plates and the steels.
4. de-glaze. sometimes you can suck some more life outa yer clutch pack by scuffing the discs in a figure 8 pattern over a piece of 220 which is on a flat surface.
5. make sure clutch line has been bled well,you don't need/want any drag at lights,in heavy trafic etc.

Rubb.

Check the O-ring on your clutch slave also.
I had one go out at 22000 on my 03 and it showed all the symptoms you describe.

check the plunger at the clutch lever mine was sticking on my 02/ ordered a new clutch but found the problem before replacing/lubed the plunger and it was fine

Thanks all... lots of stuff to look at!

How hard is changing out the clutch springs?

Need any special tools?
nope. order new gasket now(and springs of course). Then when it comes in, yer good to go.
Drain oil.remove cover,remove bolts,10mm head I believe. You might want to re-pack at this time. Do all bolts up finger tight,then do opposite bolt,couple turns at a time. Carefull,its steel bolts into alloy hub.

RSD.

cool.gif

Whatcha mean by repack?

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140502477 -->

cool.gif

Whatcha mean by repack?
he has a "special" model....
laugh.gif

word to the wise...if you decide to go with stiffer springs....try just every other one....you might not require the whole set unless you are laying down some high HP......and get the clutch slave support!!!
these bikes are notorious for having clutch slave covers crack.

Dennis has some nice ones he makes @ sh.org.

Mine slips in 2nd gear when and the throttle hard, all the rest are fine.  I talked to Mick and he said he knew of a guy that had the same problem with 2nd gear.  Looks like a beefier clutch kit and springs for me.
SAME here. I slip in second gear from 3k to 4rpm.

I thought it was a common problem.

Cost me a race against a gsxr1000
sad.gif
. I still got him at 150

Back