Torque wrench

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Just want to see what is a good torque wrench... type or brand. Snap-On, Sears or another?

Here's a stupid question. Do the bolts/screws that attach the plastic... fairing, side panels, etc., have a torque requirement or just until hand-tight? I just don't want to crack the plastic if I put them on too tight.

Thanks!

Torque wrench , me, I like my
xblueman.gif
clicker type from Snap On. Just set and when it clicks, your there ! A REAL NO BRAINER, which helps me alot  
ss011.gif
. And Yea, everything has a torque value, but really, finger tight on fairings have always worked for me !  
wink.gif

Just want to see what is a good torque wrench... type or brand. Snap-On, Sears or another?

Here's a stupid question. Do the bolts/screws that attach the plastic... fairing, side panels, etc., have a torque requirement or just until hand-tight? I just don't want to crack the plastic if I put them on too tight.

Thanks!
Pepboys has a nice one for less then 30 bucks.
Specifications said +/- 4%, not bad for $30.

Snap on is way overpriced. Sears has electronic version, very cool, about $150.00

I`d buy $30 pepboys. You not doing it every day, do you?

For plastic screws I use alien screwdrivers. not wrenches.
Torgue wrenching fairing bolts is not nessessary. You can get a feeling using torgue wrench first time tho..

my advice... just don't over-torque your wrench and you'll be ok.

could definatly leave a nasty blister, or cause some spraining in bad areas.

trust me if you are going to buy one buy a Snap-on ,Mac or Matco. Uncle is in the calibration business and everything else suxs because they go out of spec REAL FAST

Only thing to note about Craftsman torque Wrenches is the Warranty is not the standard Craftsman boiler plate! I have a Craftsman toque wrench that I bought years ago. When It went belly up 3 months after I bought it I took it back. Apparently they will recalibrate them, not replace them. Things may have changed since I bought this one but just be aware. The one I have now has served me well since then so the first one may have been a flyer.

And when you get one don't forget that they make them in Foot lbs and Sq inch lbs.

Everyday use, snap-on, mac, matco...weekend use on the busa - craftsman is ok. Just can't beat it around like ya can the best.

+1 with Jonnycheese. Buy a good one and you can trust it. This might not matter to you but some will not torque both ways. I do right and left hand threads so it does matter to me. Foot lbs. and inch lbs some times you need both. Torque the fairing bolts
rock.gif
just use you head on that one kinda hard to damage them.

I will borrow from somebody if I ever need one...
smile.gif

I don`t think torque wrench required for maintenance. For engine work different story.

Back