Which GPS

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Which GPS do you guys recommend and why.

Which GPS figures out what speed you're going. I'm looking at the TomTom Rider GPS for bikes. I'm open to suggestions!

The regular Garmin eTrex works well for me. Displays current speed and saves max speed. Around $100 bucks.

For the Hayabusa I've used the Garmin Legend because it's smaller and I'm not looking for all the functions of bigger units. But on the Goldwing I've got the Garmin 2610 which is a very good unit but I felt a bit big for the busa.To each their own.

well here's some food for thought

A) why do you want one ... as in what features do you want?
- Speed display/tracking
- navigational aid
- routing / route saving / route planning
- would you ever use it on a boat / plane
rock.gif

B) How much do you wanna spend?

C) Where are you going to mount it? ( tank bag / bars / stem stand / etc)

D) How are you going to power it? ( batteries / direct connect)

E) Where are you going to use it? ( bike / hiking / car / boat / other)

Each GPS has its purpose. If you want something small that just does speed and basic maps, get one of the less expensive ones. If you want something that can do routing, auto-routes you around stuff or if you get off the route, shows detailed map info and stuff like that, you'll need to step up a bit in size/price. I can tell you a lot of units are not good for the bike for a variety of reasons, but the new "micro drive" ones suck generally because of vibrations. There are models out there that allow you to use water maps and land maps, some that allow both of those AND hiking topo maps and National Parks maps. Some that have expandable memory, others are fixed. Some can use battery and/or direct connect... some have fixed antennas others allow for external ones or replaceable ones. Some are waterproof, others not so much
wink.gif

I personally have a Street Pilot III Deluxe I got off a guy in Canada on Ebay. He is a Garmin distributor and it was a factory refub but has given me NO problems in over a year of owning it. It does all of the various maps, battery/direct connect, small enough to fit in my tank bag easily, uses expandable, though proprietary memory, and does all routing with speed/altitude stuff as well. The one thing it doesnt have is WAAS which is basically a more sensitive system that allows for greater accuracy... think 1-3M vs 5-15M in accuracy of your exact position. Doesnt mean much if you are just riding/driving... could make a hell of a difference if you are charting TOPO maps in the mountains
laugh.gif

gps city has a great selection and good comparison tools... as always, shop the price but thats a good resource to start your search.

So once you answer those questions, it will narrow your search criteria down though
cool.gif

oh yeah, search around on the forums, this topic has been discussed at length before
wink.gif

wink.gif

Oh yeah, I got mine for under $400 delivered... it has the color screen

Another board favorite is the GPS V by Garmin... looks like around $300 at GPS City.. very similar to the SPIII but B&W screen and a few little other differences

if you want something with alot more features than just seeing how fast your going... the novelty of that wears off after two/three trips in my opinion..

anyway.. check out a garmin v.. or the vplus.. same thing just with a color screen.

gets you the north american map source software.. auto routing.. turn by turn.. and it doesn't have a stupid name like tomtom..

course it's quite a bit higher in price last time I looked too.. but it's a sweet unit.. I love mine.

I was actually going to start a thread for the exact same thing. It must be that whole "Great Minds....." thing

Are you looking for something to simply verify speed with, or do you want better navigation for longer trips?

I've been using the Garmin 2610 for navigation and such; the GPS voice is mixed into my headset, so it's pretty clean on the bike. If that's what yr looking for, I'd highly recommend it...

I kinda like the small ones but that still have the maps. But a must is also the max speed recall.

I own a 276C and it's great!  Large color screen is great, but lot's of other reasons:

* All solid state (no mechanical hard drive for storage)
* One 256M storage memory chip holds several states worth of data (For example, VA thru FL with memory left over).  Purchase a couple of extra memory chips and you'll have all or most of the US in ready to go in seconds.
* 276C very easy to see and operate while under way.
* Audio output can be piped into your intercom.