50 mpg

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I have seen members on this board getting 50 miles per gallon. I myself only get 35 at best. I filled my tank and restarted my trip. At 4500 rpm, I maxed out at 35. When I went above that, it began to drop. I have an '05 so its not like I need a tune-up. As a matter of fact I got the 600 mile service done 2 weeks ago, and now have 950ish miles total.

For the guys getting, oh about, 40+ mpg, at what RPM are you riding at?

The guys getting 50mpg are riding like bitches. It's a freaking bike! Ride the #### outta it. If your paying attention to MPG.. you should of purchased a Vespa.

laugh.gif

ROYZGSX

spig--

I normally get around 30-34, in fact, never got over 34.5MPG until I took her on a 200 mile straight highway shot. I kept her at 80 in 6th nearly the entire way and I topped out at 44.8MPG.

I suppose if I was going 60MPH for the entire tank with a heavy tail wind I may make 50MPG.

The guys getting 50mpg are riding like bitches.  It's a freaking bike!  Ride the #### outta it.  If your paying attention to MPG.. you should of purchased a Vespa.

laugh.gif

ROYZGSX
Trust me, I'm stuck at 24mpg on my overall MPG. After reading 50mpg post, I began to wonder if it was possible. Someone even posted a pic with the display showing 50mpg. The thing is I can do that by getting up to 100mph in 6th gear, pulling in the clutch, and letting it coast to about 10mph. kick it down to 1st, and start over again, never getting it above 4500rpm, except in 6th. I doubt anyone does that so I was just curious as to what constant RPM they ride at.

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119520931 -->

24 u must be having too much fun
wink.gif

Just after my first service, I was consistently arund 25-26 due to pent up busa aggression.

spig--

I normally get around 30-34, in fact, never got over 34.5MPG until I took her on a 200 mile   straight highway shot. I kept her at 80 in 6th nearly the entire way and I topped out at 44.8MPG.

I suppose if I was going 60MPH for the entire tank with a heavy tail wind I may make 50MPG.
I just checked mine, the average since I got it is around 38, average since last reset is 44.5. I haven't ridden extremely hard since last reset, but by far, I don't ride easy. That 38 includes several top speed runs and even more up to and over 150. Maybe there's something wrong with your bike. Did you make some drastic mods?

Kev

On long trips I get 48 to 49 mpg while travelling between 75 and 80 mph and that's even with a few high speed runs.

This past Saturday I went on a trip and noticed a few things. On the small highway that went along Lake Michigan I couldn't really average more than 65 mph and my gas mileage meter was down to 39 mpg. Once I hopped onto I94 and averaged 80 mph the mileage slowly started creeping up and by the time I stopped for gas I was at 42 mpg.

I believe the bike is geared so high that anything under 75 mph in 6th starts to have a lugging effect on the engine which in turn uses more gas.

Best friend just bought a perfect '02 Honda XX with only 1300 miles and that thing sucks down the gas compared to my Busa. Riding along side me he's probably running in the upper 20's but he does have an annoying habit of constantly slowing down and speeding back up.

I'm going to answer your question with a question. What rpm's are you shifting at? At 24mpg I'm going to guess your bike is wound out pretty good before you shift. If it's mpg your looking for drive it like a truck. The busa has lots of torque so you don't need alot of rpm's for the bike to pull you along. Just because the bike will easily go 60 in 1st gear doesn't mean you can't shift her into 6th when cruising. Pretend Jessica Simpson is sitting on the back of your bike waiting for a ride. She tells you "Take me home, keep it under 3500rpm, and we can do anything you want when we get there". I see your mpg in the mid 40's on the trip to her place.
biggrin.gif

Once I corrected My speedo I seem to be hanging around the 28-29 gallon club. After I got rid of the TRE it helped mileage also. I was down in the 25-6 range.

I am getting around 37 mpg. I use her for the ride back and forth from work and than rides on the weekend. Usually stay in the 4K rpm range.

I agree with going to higher gears sooner. My mileage is around 30, but that is because I get a little too happy one the throttle. I think throttle control and shifting sooner would help you. I could give a shid as long as I have fun while riding.

kev--

seems like i'm more the norm rather than the exception
tounge.gif
This is not to sound rude or anything, but how much do you guys weigh. I only ask because I'm 160 and thin, I don't add a lot of weitght or wind resistance. If someone has 100 lbs on me their bike and body together are 15 percent more than mine. Is there a chance that has something to do with it?

Kev

I got a thread on here somewhere from back in the day about gas mileage.

When I brought the bike home I was getting like 45 mpg I think. Then after the break in I was getting lik 35 and I asked what was wrong.

The answer....I started shifting at a higher rpm.

When I first brought her home I was babying the shizzle out of her. I kept her below 3000 rpm all the time. Probably shifted at 2500 actually. So that's your answer....keep her below 3K, probably aim to stay at 2K and you'll get 45 mpg easy.

Now I find myself at cruising at 5K just for the added hp and tq. Haven't checked the mpg in a bit, so couldn't tell ya what I'm gettin. (gotten lazy, sorry.)

my tanks that are mainly in town are 32 to 35mpg and my highway tanks are 47 to 50.....i just passed 2500 and my trip 2 has never been reset - it reads 40.1mpg.

Back