Helmets

Sirissac

Registered
I have spent the past 10 or so years riding without a helmet. Every spring when I start riding again, I start to realize my own mortality. I have been lucky and have not had any major spills.
I would like some advice on buying a helmet. I have a fullface Bieffe (something like that) but it is noisy and it feels like I am wearing a parachute on my head when I am nearing the triple digits on the spedo. What is the best helmet as far as comfort, safety, and price. I really don't want to be spending $700.00 on a lid. Is HJC a decent helmet. I have one that I use when snowmobiling and it seems alright. Does anyone own a flip-style helmet, if so, how are they. Anyone selling a helmet or know where to purchase one, I could use the help. Thanks.

Shoei, which I have, or Arai are the premiere brands. They are more expensive than the brands you mentioned, but the question is: How much value do you place on the contents of your skull?

Sirissac, see the classified section of the board. I have a Shoei on there right now. What size do you wear? Check it out. Bob
smile.gif

Bob, Checked out your helmet in the Classifieds. The size is right, but the colors don't match my bike. I have the Blue and Silver Busa. If there is something that a guy could do to change up some of the colors, I would consider buying it. Thanks for your help though.

Joedy

jOEDY,
Most HJC and KBC helmets are both Snell and DOT approved. Buy one that has both stickers on it.
You can find Shoei RF1000's in solid colors on ebay for $269..... They are worth their money.
Shoei and Arai command more money, but they are worth it, you will not here owners of either complain after having wrecked in them.

Arai RX-7

Best helmet on the market as far as I'm concerned. Will cost you any where from $500 to $700.

And my .02 I think Shoei X-11 is the best helmet on the market today. Both for fit and looks can't be beat. Just wish they were not so pricy.
mad.gif

there are a couple of different manufactures of lids that make different shell shapes.You dont want any pressure on the crown of yer head, no hi pressure points. I usually upgrade every 2 years. I take into account what the coolest(temp wise) helmet on the market is. Plus some other factors. Shoei RF 900 right now, do for an' upgrade... but I love the fit and grafx....

buy the best helmet you can afford...

that, or keep up the payments on your medical insurance
wink.gif

hell_mutt.jpg

Well I ride with ICON brand. I was in a almost 90 Mph spill on the highway and the ICON helmet I was wearing kept my coconut in PERFECT shape, not a scratch. I would recommend the ICON MAINFRAME thats what I use. 180-200$ depending on where you get it. It is really comfortable, very quiet almost no road noise, and protects excellent. Not to mention looks bad ASS!

super.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will be checking on all the helmets that were mentioned. When I buy one, I will try to include a picture, if I can get it to post, to satisfy anyone who is curious . Thanks again.

this is what I have worn for about 2yrs.... has a chrome shield on mine tho....
was around 230 bucks shipped... fits awesome, and very aerodynamic. don't get the head-bobble like I used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think some peeps really get hung up on the prices involved.. just because you hang a big price tag on a normal tomato doesn't make it any better..

i've owned a few HJC's, Shoei, and 1 Vemar.

They were all Snell/Dot approved.. and until shoei/arai/soumy can explain what makes their helmet worth twice, or even three times the price other than the name on the sticker.. I won't be buying another one..

Granted the ventilation on the Shoei is marginally better... but what the hell.?? i'm still drenched when I take the helmet off on a hot day... so how much difference is it really making here? If anything it doesn't keep the cold air out as good as a helmet thats not ventilated as well... so it's a trade off.

Right now my primary helmet is a shoei rf900 thats soon to end it's "safe" life cycle (2-3 yrs) and I picked up a AGV.. (also snell/DOT approved) for like $60 on closeout..

There is a thread about it in the merchandise section if you wanna look.. pics and stuff there also.

the main thing is to find a helmet that is at the very least certified by DOT (Snell rating is supposed to be a little safer, although it's open to debate) and one thats comfortable.

Oh.. and finding a helmet that the visor securely locks into the closed/open position is important in my opinion also..

thats why i hated the Vemar and won't buy another... everytime I checked my blind spot.. the effin' visor would pop up.. I hear Fulmer helmets have this problem also.

Ive worn and tried on several off brand helmets...Arai is my favorite. Once you wear one for awhile you can never go back to a cheapo.

I can't rmember which it is, but Icon's are actually constructed in either HJC or KBC's factories... I believe it's HJC though.

Also anopther company out there uses previous-model Shoei designs, and puts their own badge on them (i.e. the RF-1000 is the current Shoei model, so they use RF-900 or RF-800 designs, build them in their own factories, slap their own badge and name on them and sells them much lower). I can't remember who it is offhand, but it could definitely be worth the research.

I've owned cheapos and big-ticketers. When all is said and done, it's the fit and the style that sell me.

Shoei fits me best. My new lid is an X-11.

I had an Arai, and won't try them again. The side plates both cracked and the shield vents ALL broke off. And believe it or not, I'm very careful with my gear.

Also, consider looking at both Shark and Suomy. These are very well known on both Moto GP circuits and in Europe/elsewhere. They've very recently become legal here in the States, and are very nice helmets. I'm perwsonally going to invest in a Sumoy Spec-1R in the very near future.

I just bought a Suomy for my wife. No offense to the guys who like them, but the majority of their finishes look "girlie" to me. (You know, flowers, etc.) Not that there's anything wrong with that.
tounge.gif

Back