Which Sena?20S or 10C?

Excursion05

Registered
I know that the Sena Bluetooth helmet communicators are popular among members of the ORg so I thought I'd open up the floor for recommendations. I'm torn between the 20s with the capability to connect to multiple audio devices (up to 9 is overkill for me though) at once or the 10C which has an integrated camera (which would be nice sometimes but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis).

I'm looking at it as a tradeoff between battery life of the 20S and camera functionality of the 10C. I would probably never buy a GoPro but for $80 difference I'm strongly considering going with the 10C.

Any thoughts, recommendations or personal experience to share? Comments are always welcome.

the only issue I see with the camera is the quality isn't anywhere near that of the go-pro but its not bad tho.

I mean u do get everything in one but I can only think that having live footage of my riding will likely get in more trouble then less if I crash lol so I really don't even see the point in recording my ride but I still want to record certain events tho like at the drag strip.

My fiancè use the smh10r's on our Icon helmets. So far the only issue we have had is I can hear myself in my own speakers, not sure what causes it. Generally I turn my receiver off and back on and it seems to fix the problem for that moment in time.

I have the 20s and really like it.

Here are my thoughts.

If you get one with a built in camera you can't use it in other areas on the bike or use it doing something not bike related.

The 20s last a really long time per charge. I can go all day with no problems.
The 20s has good range as I have tested it at about a mile (straight line) and no problems.
The 20s has a handlebar remote (I have one) and it only works with the 20s. It is really nice to be able to turn up or down the volume
without having to reach up to the helmet. It does most of the features of the jog dial so I rarely have to reach up to the helmet.
The 20s has built in FM too - not sure about the other unit.
The 20s can blue tooth to 2 devices (maybe 3 if you count the remote) whereas I believe most of the other units are only one device like a phone.
So your statement about 9 audio devices is not correct in my book. Up to 8 other intercom units but only 2 (or 3) audio devices like 2 phones or a phone and GPS.
According to the instructions it has to be a motorcycle GPS to work with voice instructions. I use a cheaper car Garmin so I don't BT to it, but just watch the screen.

The speed dial feature only allows 3 numbers to be saved whereas it has 10 presets for FM stations - I would like to have it the other way around 10 speed dials and 3 station presets.
That is one of the few negatives of the 20s.

There is an app for the unit which allows you to create group(s) of intercoms or adjust settings like how loud you have to talk over music to activate the intercom etc.

I have a GoPro but it doesn't have BT so I can't talk over videos while recording - but that is not the 20's fault, as if it was BT I assume I could talk to it while recording.

There are other cameras out there besides a GoPro that work pretty good and are less money too. So if the reason you would NEVER buy a GoPro is cost - there are other options.

I also don't video too often. I do listen to music on most rides and when someone else has an intercom it really makes the ride more enjoyable.

So for me, I would buy the 20s again. :thumbsup:

Red, I'm glad you spoke out some details. I have been interested in the 20 for a few months and now that the off season is coming , I'll grab one.

I have the 20s and love mine. It has been fun kinda connecting to others for intercom. I am liking the new camera attachment idea. Great thread thanks.

I have the 20s and really like it.

Here are my thoughts.

If you get one with a built in camera you can't use it in other areas on the bike or use it doing something not bike related.

The 20s last a really long time per charge. I can go all day with no problems.
The 20s has good range as I have tested it at about a mile (straight line) and no problems.
The 20s has a handlebar remote (I have one) and it only works with the 20s. It is really nice to be able to turn up or down the volume
without having to reach up to the helmet. It does most of the features of the jog dial so I rarely have to reach up to the helmet.
The 20s has built in FM too - not sure about the other unit.
The 20s can blue tooth to 2 devices (maybe 3 if you count the remote) whereas I believe most of the other units are only one device like a phone.
So your statement about 9 audio devices is not correct in my book. Up to 8 other intercom units but only 2 (or 3) audio devices like 2 phones or a phone and GPS.
According to the instructions it has to be a motorcycle GPS to work with voice instructions. I use a cheaper car Garmin so I don't BT to it, but just watch the screen.

The speed dial feature only allows 3 numbers to be saved whereas it has 10 presets for FM stations - I would like to have it the other way around 10 speed dials and 3 station presets.
That is one of the few negatives of the 20s.

There is an app for the unit which allows you to create group(s) of intercoms or adjust settings like how loud you have to talk over music to activate the intercom etc.

I have a GoPro but it doesn't have BT so I can't talk over videos while recording - but that is not the 20's fault, as if it was BT I assume I could talk to it while recording.

There are other cameras out there besides a GoPro that work pretty good and are less money too. So if the reason you would NEVER buy a GoPro is cost - there are other options.

I also don't video too often. I do listen to music on most rides and when someone else has an intercom it really makes the ride more enjoyable.

So for me, I would buy the 20s again. :thumbsup:

SENA has a GoPro backpack so you can record voice directly from the SENA. Very cool and works great. SENA also has an extension unit that allows you to hook 4 devices to it so you can increase the number of devices from 2. This also works with a radio. I have a Kenwood radio and this allows you to talk to riders up to a couple miles away with clear signal. Looking at a GPS is very dangerous. I have a 660 linked into the SENA 20S. All very good stuff.

Looking at a GPS is very dangerous.

Really? So you should NEVER look at a GPS? What good are they then? Should they be outlawed in every vehicle including the
factory units that come with cars?

First off, is a non motorcycle unit won't pair with the 20s according to the instructions. I can't justify the cost of a 660 unit.

Second, there is a time and a place for just about everything. So no I'm not going to be looking at a GPS while carving curves
or when in heavy traffic where I need to be watching for cagers etc. There are other times when looking at a GPS would not be a problem in my book.

So I think your comment above is a little off. JMHO

But to each his own and I know some people would call riding a motorcycle of any kind dangerous.

Thanks for the info on the Backpack and the Extension unit.
At this time I can use my phone and a BT transmitter and the remote so 3 units really.
If I ever need more I will look into them.

Watching a GPS is a bad idea on a bike. The potential distraction is big. Do what you like, Darwin has a way of culling the herd, Lol! Actually you can use phone apps for navigation these days anyway.

I hace the 20s and it's great. I too like tyhe idea of the 10c but Go Pro can be used in many other applications. so I'm gonna probably get a Go Pro

Watching a GPS is a bad idea on a bike. The potential distraction is big. Do what you like, Darwin has a way of culling the herd, Lol! Actually you can use phone apps for navigation these days anyway.

Did I read that right - you think looking at a phone app is OK and Looking at a GPS is not OK?

Also watching and glancing at something is two different things in my book.

Oh well, you ride like you want to and I'll ride like I want to. May we both be safe. Enough said. :argue:

Did I read that right - you think looking at a phone app is OK and Looking at a GPS is not OK?

Also watching and glancing at something is two different things in my book.

Oh well, you ride like you want to and I'll ride like I want to. May we both be safe. Enough said. :argue:

A nice thing about smartphone GPS apps is that you can hear turn by turn instructions through your Bluetooth device. I use Map Quest (a free app) and it works pretty well! My smartphone sits in a RAM mount cradle while I ride, I use another app. called Just Speed as a digital speedometer with accurate speed display. The Map Quest guidance voice will break through the music to alert you of upcoming turns. I use a BILT (Cycle Gear brand) Bluetooth helmet and it works pretty well! I can only imagine how well the SENA systems perform!!

Bingo Paderolis! Even in a car, you should not look at a GPS while driving except for the quickest glance. Generally speaking you should drive/ride by the voice, keeping your eyes on the road and potential threats. If you miss or don't understand a command keep going until the GPS realizes the mistake and recalculates. Then find a safe place to reverse course. This is why all GPS units have voice commands and it was such a big deal when it first appeared on the more expensive ones. My GPS is front and center on the top triple clamps, but I rarely look at it. I listen to the voice commands and out of the corner (or bottom) of my eye I can see when the speed indicator goes red indicating I'm speeding. Frankly in the sun it is often difficult to see the screen well anyway.

This thread is about a choice between the 20S and 10C, both state of the art, expensive units. So why not set things up properly? You never know when your number is up on a motorcycle but the vast majority of people who enjoy long riding careers are fanatic about reducing there exposure to risk to the chances they want to take. Personally, with all the amazing apps out there I'm not sure why anyone would need anything more than a smartphone (some members did point out that they ride outside of cell communication occasionally). The phone can handle voice assisted nav, music, communication, internet access, etc. Basically beyond that all you need is bike to bike. There are also some really awesome speedometer apps that are very helpful. And all of that stuff is updated automatically, no map updating or wishing you had a newer feature. All you need is a RAM mount and a USB power cable and you are all set.

As for the 10C over a GoPro, I think they are different things completely. If you want to make that crazy video of your ride the GoPro is the tool. You can move it around the bike and the quality appears to be superior. But if you want that camera there when you want it and be able to turn it on at a moments notice the 10C is pretty interesting. IMHO you could have just one GoPro but I don't see the SENA as your only camera if you want to make compelling video. Mounting the camera at bar height accentuates lean angle. Placing the camera low reduces the impact of lean angle unless it's behind the rider's knee. Placing the camera so you can see the instrument panel reduces the view of the ride. Placing a camera on the helmet can produce very odd views, although being able to vary the POV is good. Also, if you ride above 100 mph a lot that GoPro sticking off the top or side of the helmet is like a sail!

There is also a SENA unit that is completely inside the helmet! That looks to be a slick setup. You control it from a handlebar mounted remote control. Really cool stuff.

like any GPS whether or not its in a car or on ur bike isn't somethn u stare at while riding. u more or less glance at it but the audio is pretty much all u need but nice to confirm with a visual for a second. the time u take to glance at ur GPS wud not take any longer then a head check wud and ur eyes certainly aren't pointed straight ahead wen doing that.

Thanks for all the comments guys!! My plan is to get a simple system set up like FallenArch describes. A Sena unit on my helmet a Ram mount and a map app on my iPhone. If I change phones the most I'll be out is a different cradle for the phone to use with the Ram mount.

I have to thank FallenArch for bringing up the point that the 10C and GoPro are (in my mind anyway) built for completely different purposes. One of the things I like about the 10C is that it's always recording but you don't have to save it all. You push a button, or speak a command and it saves 30 seconds prior and after you told it to. I think of this as a cool way to show some of those "Hey honey you'll never guess what I saw on the way to work" moments to the missus.

I like the Sena units that go inside the helmet but I thought I read those were made for certain helmets?

I also have to throw in my 2 cents about looking at a GPS / Smartphone app... I agree with GNBRETT, navigation help is for glancing at, just like you check before changing lanes IMHO. Like most here I can do pretty well with voice prompts (+1 for the cheaper smartphone app and Bluetooth solution) but I still need to see road names or numbers sometimes just to make things clearer.

And, last but not least: Sena has changed it's web page so I can't find a reference to it pairing with 9 devices anymore but I'm pretty sure that used to be one of the selling points. In a review by Web Bike World there is a section comparing the 20S to the SMH10 that lists "Updated Features of the 20s". One of the bullet points is:
•Can be paired with up to 9 Bluetooth devices. SMH10 has 3.

We had a Sena 20, and we loved them (I dropped my helmet and the headset broke). We were out on the road; and grabbed a Scala setup (we had very little options at the time. My wife preferred the Sena; but I was OK with either. Someone mentioned GPS; I leave my phone in my pocket and just listen to the voice directions. I have no desire to try and look at my phone while riding. Basically I just pull over; enter the location I need; and then just put my phone back in my pocket.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear makes a good point about the phone. The true hardcore touring rider will keep the phone on their body. This is in case they crash and get separated from the bike. The phone needs to go where you go! That said mine is always on the bike on a charger. lol!

the 20S is awesome. great battery life. helmet's a shoei rf1200, so reasonably quiet. not much bass coming through the headphones, i think earbuds may have slightly better sound quality if you go with some nice ones, but all in all, a killer setup. the voice commands work flawlessly, the buttons are easy to use, and once i fiddle with it a bit more, pairing will probably be much easier. that being said, i'm certain i'm not doing the procedure correctly, but i always forget the quick reference card when i go riding.

I have the same 20s and Gopro3 black ,were did you get a remote for the20s? I want one !!
my last Sena 20s firmware up date gave me 10 FM presets my wife rides with me a lot and the 20s makes it nice,, my instructions stated I can link 6 other Sena head set's on a group or individuals or comparable head sets
the Gopro is awesome filming in 4kI with a battery extender on the back via Gopro and 64GB SD card I can film 8 hours and Coral video editing makes editing a breeze
I mainly video incase of an accident it gets the tag number with Coral video editing you can really Zoom in

Back