Does hayabusa lose traction easily on straights?

jamespie

Registered
Hello all!

This might be a dumb question but I have a cbr600 and love it. I have been riding all my life (dirt bikes before I could drive) and I want to move to a bigger bike. I want to get a hayabusa for acceleration but also because it's less revvy and I like how it'll be comfortable for longer trips. I mostly do highway cruising. I NEVER do fast twisties just because I want to be safe. However once and a while I'll gun it on a flat straight road. I was wondering if the busa is too unpredictable to do this? Will the rear tire lose traction if I gun it on a striaght? Btw I never try to do fast take offfs. I stay in 1st gear and get up to Bout 20 mph before gunning it. Would the busa lose traction in this setting? Thanks guys

It's more likely to wheelie than spin, but it can light up the rear, or do both. I've learned to not fool around too much in first, the front end can come up faster than I like.

You sound like a rider with limited experience,are you sure moving up to a bigger bike is a wise choice?

You have a sport bike but hate twisties? Unfathomable! Also the statement wanting to be safe by not corner carving yet gunning it in a straight line tells me you're lacking experience. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and keep it small until you gain confidence to ride anything. I suggest learning to corner too.

To answer your question and not be judgmental....the only time I lose traction on the straights is if the road is rough or bumpy and it's really on the powerband in first or second. I think it will also depend on many factors such as tire choice, temperature, humidity, etc. I will say that when she's broken loose she behaves and does not swing the rear end. If you are in first or second, it doesn't take long to reach redline from 8K RPM so any spinning is short lived. I'm also a pretty big guy so that helps, most of my riding is at over 5000 ft altitude so I'm way down on power compared to sea level. I spent a week in Daytona last year and my bike was way up on power compared to normal. She would loft the front without even trying but I never lost traction there.

I have alot of experience. I just dont go in twisties fast, meaning I don't lean to where where my elbow is almost scraping the ground.

You have a sport bike but hate twisties? Unfathomable! Also the statement wanting to be safe by not corner carving yet gunning it in a straight line tells me you're lacking experience. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and keep it small until you gain confidence to ride anything. I suggest learning to corner too.

I never said I hate twisties. Twisties are very fun and I love them. When I say I don't do twisties, I mean I don't goes super fast to where my elbow is almost touching the group. I used to do that. I don't anymore but still take them with a lean but no where near the same lean angle I used to. The roads out here are mostly **** for going fast on twisties. I used to have a spot with some amazing turns and the rodes were super smooth which was pretty rare. I'd make sure there's no gravel or dirt in the road and I'd ride them a while. Just because I don't do that anymore doesn't me I'm inexperienced. I'm very experienced with riding motorcycles. I NOW am married and I told me wife I won't do that anymore.

Just because you have a sport bike and use it for swisties doesn't mean everyone else should. I got the sport bike for the acceleration. I get a rush accelerating fast. Fast pulls is why I got a sports bikes. Roads over here and not favorable for anything else.

It's alot easier to losing traction and **** something up on twisties than a straight

To answer your question and not be judgmental....the only time I lose traction on the straights is if the road is rough or bumpy and it's really on the powerband in first or second. I think it will also depend on many factors such as tire choice, temperature, humidity, etc. I will say that when she's broken loose she behaves and does not swing the rear end. If you are in first or second, it doesn't take long to reach redline from 8K RPM so any spinning is short lived. I'm also a pretty big guy so that helps, most of my riding is at over 5000 ft altitude so I'm way down on power compared to sea level. I spent a week in Daytona last year and my bike was way up on power compared to normal. She would loft the front without even trying but I never lost traction there.

Well thanks for not saying that I'm inexperienced just because I don't do twisties anymore. Lol twisties don't equal experience. Doing twisties just equals twisty experience. I have twisties experience, I just don't do that anymore now that I'm married and older and wanna be more safe.

So I guess you have to ride a busa differently than a 600? After getting my 600 moving a tad (in first) I'd go WOT. I'd lean forward to keep from wheeling but the rear stayed glued to the ground.

It sounds like you can't really go WOT in first on a busa

With a good tire its just going to stand up. My tire only breaks loose on turns or when I'm past the wear bars.

Hayabusa's are ***** cats....linear but brutal acceleration especially compared to a 600.
Breaking traction in the dry is almost impossible with the suspension dialled in and tyres up to temp.
I've been using Pilot Road 4's and can't break them on straights....corners exits in 2nd or 3rd gear will do the trick but you have to provoke it.
It will however wheelie quite nicely if you don't control things and it does it rather quickly.

Hayabusa's are ***** cats....linear but brutal acceleration especially compared to a 600.
Breaking traction in the dry is almost impossible with the suspension dialled in and tyres up to temp.
I've been using Pilot Road 4's and can't break them on straights....corners exits in 2nd or 3rd gear will do the trick but you have to provoke it.
It will however wheelie quite nicely if you don't control things and it does it rather quickly.

ah just beautiful! Thanks for the good response! Looks like ill be trying those tires. Have any experience with any other good tires for a busa?

The Busa is like any other bike in that if you respect it, it won't hurt you. If you don't she bites fast and hard.

Back