2006 GSXR Clutch Issue

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
So last time out at Barber Jay had a "mechanical" failure on the track that he was able to ride off and wait out the session. Getting the bike apart and we found that the clutch is like it is always disengaged but there is no pressure on the clutch push rod assy. The clutch lever had zero tension on it. It would just flap back and forth.

Any ideas?

Short video:

http://vid126.photobucket.com/albums/p108/cwwskw/20150704_190047_zpscdfym5yr.mp4

Faulty clutch master , or Slave / piston . Have you ever flushed the clutch system , and cleaned all the chain lube off the outer slave cylinder piston ?

Pull the slave off and have a look at it . Postings pictures I can assist more .

Next step, remove the clutch assembly and see what the issue is. Apparently something failed to cause the clutch to remain disengaged.

My guess is Jay has reached a level that skydiver is incapable of competing with and the voodoo doll is working! :shocked:

Next step, remove the clutch assembly and see what the issue is. Apparently something failed to cause the clutch to remain disengaged.

My guess is Jay has reached a level that skydiver is incapable of competing with and the voodoo doll is working! :shocked:

The sad part is that's what we did last night and everything seems perfectly in tact on the clutch assembly :(

Something is either broken or worn and hanging up. You will need to dismantle the clutch and insect all parts. It could be a broken plate or springs. But need's to come apart for sure!
Go get your hands dirty!

Something is either broken or worn and hanging up. You will need to dismantle the clutch and insect all parts. It could be a broken plate or springs. But need's to come apart for sure!
Go get your hands dirty!

That's what we did yesterday. The video is after we put everything back together and nothing is broken and nothing appears worn. :( This gsxr only has 8800 miles also..

This is what we got it down too last night... Everything was in perfectly fine shape and fit into place as they should have.

IMAG0880_zpsyliicdk5.jpg

IMAG0879_zpsgkd95zk6.jpg

Well some thing is hanging up and not allowing the plate to set correctly in the basket, a burr or something,
Take it apart again and try the stack on the inner hub alone and make sure the stack of plates sit all the way down the base of the inner hub
Thats the base of where to start

also inspect the rod that goes thru the tranny shaft to the left side of the motor, As well as the push rod under the sprocket cover, a chain slap could have bent the push rod

Well,, any more input?

We figured out what was wrong, just not how it happened. I'll try to explain. But I've buttoned everything back up and it's working again. I'll ride it around the neighborhood this week.

It seems the clutch basket just got bound up somehow and did not compress back correctly when I let off the clutch. So, if you look back at the video, there is room for the clutch plates to move around in the basket.

The first pic below shows the inside of the face plate, it has the one larger tooth at the top of the pic. This is supposed to fit nicely in the brake in the basket wall at the top of the second pic, which makes all the smaller teeth fit nicely in the other wall spaces.

IMAG0885_zpshihmlmiv.jpg

IMAG0887_zpstkg1evct.jpg

Somehow, this was able to get off track causing the clutch to never engage (or disengage, whatever is correct), so the basket was just stuck like the clutch lever was pulled in. Make sense? We just can't determine what caused it to do that. Nothing is broke and I couldn't find any burs or anything on the teeth of the face plate.. I loc-tited the spring bolts, torqued everything down, filled with new oil and it's working again. Maybe a fluke thing or may happen again. Only time will tell.

Thanks for the advice!

I have filed pressure plate teeth to make them mess better. I had a similar problem on the Dragon bike.
As well as the grooves on the inner basket to get rid of clutch chatter, from the steel plates making notches in the basket

I have filed pressure plate teeth to make them mess better. I had a similar problem on the Dragon bike.
As well as the grooves on the inner basket to get rid of clutch chatter, from the steel plates making notches in the basket

Pressure plate! That's the term I was looking for. Well you clearly understand what was happening then.. :)

Back