2012 engine rattle or ticking sound

Geoff

Registered
I have a question about my 2012 busa. The bike started making a ticking/rattling sound, it sounds like it is coming from the engine. But, can't really diagnose where it is coming from. Thinking the cam chain tensioner or the clutch? The bike idles fine, but when I rev it up a little or just quick burst of the throttle it makes the tick or a rattle sound. Wondering if you know anything about this or experienced this issue?

Sound like it could be something as just loose bolts.
I would start at the header, when the exhaust bolts loosen up it makes you look every where!

Took clutch apart and everything looked fine, put it all back together and still makes the same sound, all exhaust bolts are tight and bike does it while sitting in one place

My 2012 has a it of ticking to it. It has done it since new. Sounds like it is coming from under the tank. Every now and then I wonder if it is an issue. I just do regular maintenance including oil changes every 3 thousand and use the recommended premium gasoline and assume it is normal. I have had it in to a dealer I like and trust for a couple of things and they seemed to think it sounded just fine. I know that all ticking and rattles are not the same and I think that you are wise to look into it though. If it is driving you nuts I would take it in to a good dealer and just have the service manager take a listen and see if they think it is an issue.

Funny thing... I borrowed a friends manual cam chain tensioner and put it on the bike. It didn't make a difference still made the noise. Then I took off the air cleaner to listen more closely to the top end. It sounded like it was coming from the head/valve cover. I began to rev the engine a little and then it went away... Don't know what tomorrow will bring. May just put the bike back together and ride the hell out of it

see if you can record the noise with video with gopro or maybe even a smartphone so we can listen. I had a noise when releasing the clutch on my 09. The dealer wanted to open engine and split cases, other shops said it sounds serious, don't ride this bike another foot. It has the 3 piece clutch delay system for when you let off the gas, it won't lock rear tire. I forget the tech name for it, end of story NORMAL. I almost got ripped off big big time.

well that doesn't sound good, have you pulled the valve cover yet?

Back