New Owner Questions

Perry James Gowdy

Registered
Hello everyone,

I'm Perry and I'm the new owner of a 2006 Limited Edition Hayabusa! I've been riding motorcycles for about 5 years. I started off on a ZZR 600 that I owned for about 1.5 years. After that I wanted to try cruisers for awhile and moved to a Suzuki Intruder 800. Three years later I'm selling my cruiser and am back on a sport bike (my true love). With my recent purchase, I have a ton of questions about owning a Hayabusa and I'm hoping that some of you could answer them!

I'm going to be taking my Hayabusa on long trips. In about a month I'll almost definitely be taking the bike on a 2000-3000 mile trip. Here are a couple of questions:

What kind of saddlebags or bags in general do people generally outfit the Busa with?

What kind of rain gear would YOU Busa owners recommend? (I have a jacket already that is rain resistant, but I've always ridden with pants and would like to change this.)

What are some affordable cold weather gloves YOU Busa owners would recommend? (I've owned two different pairs and have been unsatisfied with both.)

What are some general maintenance things that I should be frequently doing to the bike?

Okay, as far as traveling questions that's about all I have. My next few questions have to do in general with the bike.

I've read some about the TRE addon that eliminates the top speed restriction. What are the general thoughts on this? Have many of you added this to your Busa? If so, did you find it to be worth it?

What tires do you generally outfit the bike with? I've always gone with the Power Pilots by Michelin on my previous sport bike, but I didn't know if there was possibly a type that worked really well with Busas.

My last question is almost definitely subjective and I'm sure I'll get a ton of different answers, but I'd still like to ask it.

What is the SINGLE thing you'd recommend I do to my Busa? (this could be a frequent maintenance, an addition, or anything you can think of)

Thank you so much for all of your answers in advance. I'll be posting pictures of my new beauty shortly!:cheerleader:

Here is a picture of my new beauty! I'm still working on a name for her.

I purchased her for $6,800. She has 13k miles.

FQtVZiH.jpg

Cwh0Zjs.jpg

NzPH6m8.jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm Perry and I'm the new owner of a 2006 Limited Edition Hayabusa! I've been riding motorcycles for about 5 years. I started off on a ZZR 600 that I owned for about 1.5 years. After that I wanted to try cruisers for awhile and moved to a Suzuki Intruder 800. Three years later I'm selling my cruiser and am back on a sport bike (my true love). With my recent purchase, I have a ton of questions about owning a Hayabusa and I'm hoping that some of you could answer them!

I'm going to be taking my Hayabusa on long trips. In about a month I'll almost definitely be taking the bike on a 2000-3000 mile trip. Here are a couple of questions:

What kind of saddlebags or bags in general do people generally outfit the Busa with?

What kind of rain gear would YOU Busa owners recommend? (I have a jacket already that is rain resistant, but I've always ridden with pants and would like to change this.)

What are some affordable cold weather gloves YOU Busa owners would recommend? (I've owned two different pairs and have been unsatisfied with both.)

What are some general maintenance things that I should be frequently doing to the bike?

Okay, as far as traveling questions that's about all I have. My next few questions have to do in general with the bike.

I've read some about the TRE addon that eliminates the top speed restriction. What are the general thoughts on this? Have many of you added this to your Busa? If so, did you find it to be worth it?
Tres are garbage and dont use it. There is no need for it and it will decrease you fuel economy. If you want remap the bike to get rid of the top end limiter. Honestly though isnt 180 mph fast enough?

What tires do you generally outfit the bike with? I've always gone with the Power Pilots by Michelin on my previous sport bike, but I didn't know if there was possibly a type that worked really well with Busas.
Most seem to run dunlops q3. I am not a big fan of them so i usually run the michelins myself. Avon is another folks use and like well.

My last question is almost definitely subjective and I'm sure I'll get a ton of different answers, but I'd still like to ask it.

What is the SINGLE thing you'd recommend I do to my Busa? (this could be a frequent maintenance, an addition, or anything you can think of)

Thank you so much for all of your answers in advance. I'll be posting pictures of my new beauty shortly!:cheerleader:

If you are going to be touring i would suggest hooking up with flatland busa he has tons of ideas for making these machines awesome for touring. Risers etc.

First off :welcome: Wow with a list of quistions like that you have a lot of reading to do on this site. I will try to help with a few. As far as the TRE goes I think most have gotten away from that and went with a ECU flash. One of the sponsers is running a $50 deal right now. It is a deal. Tires, you are going to get as many answers as people you ask. It has a lot to do with what your going to do with them. 3000 mile trip IMHO I would not go with the stickiest, softest, tire out there. It would be great at the track but you are going to have to put on new when you get home. Bags, thats a need to dollar ratio. As far as everything else there are way to many opitions for me to chime in on. I like alot of the stock stuff that people change, seat bars, pegs, ect....

I don't remember the thread, but if you google "Need pics of touring busas" you'll find what you want for the bike.

I do the pilot power tires. They're great.

ABM bar mod is the best thing I've done to my bike for touring. Corbin seat. Throttle meister getting me by until I do the true cruise control mod. Buell foot peg mod (lowers the pegs a bit), ProOiler so I'm not stopping every 100-150 miles to lubricate my chain (I expect it'll last 20k+miles with the pro oiler, and it should pay for itself), Backoff tail light modulator and shrieking banshee horn/headlight modulator for safety, headed to lower 48 next month and will be getting a 3rd wheel trailer to replace my soft luggage.

Oh - I ride in a Tourmaster suit that's warm and waterproof (important here in AK). My rain gloves... I can't remember, I have 6 pairs of gloves, I think, lol. Boots are Sidi, and are waterproof, helmet is Nolan, and I stream bluetooth music to it on long rides (or audiobooks) and it's super comfortable. Enjoy your busa and Welcome!:welcome:

Questions back at you first.

What kind of mileage per day are you thinking of?

Are you going to camp or motel/hotel it?

Once setup for touring do you plan on keeping it that way?

TRE Do you plan on hitting top speeds while touring?

Do you have a budget to spend on extras to make it tour ready?

What is your location?

In a month you want to start, right? Is this a one time major trip or do you plan on many trips?

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

I run Nelson Rigg soft bags, so easy. Some guys run Frog Togs ? I just use the liners that come with my gear. Change the oil and oil filter by the book. Grip it and Rip it.

First off, thank you all for the great responses. I've heard great things about those Nelson Rigg soft bags. I'll definitely be looking into them.

Questions back at you first.

What kind of mileage per day are you thinking of?

I was thinking probably somewhere in the area of 600-800 miles per day. I did about 750 miles a day on my little Suzuki 800 Intruder and it was very doable.

Are you going to camp or motel/hotel it?

I will be almost exclusively camping.

Once setup for touring do you plan on keeping it that way?

No. I'd like to have a setup that I can put on the bike when I want to go on trips, but I want to be able to take it off for general riding around my state.

TRE Do you plan on hitting top speeds while touring?

From what I've read and researched, ECU flash is the way to go. I'll probably avoid the TRE module all together at this point.

Do you have a budget to spend on extras to make it tour ready?

I'd like to spend $750.00 or less, but I'd be willing to spend up to $1000.00 if it really made the difference. I am a 23 year old college student working two jobs, after all.

What is your location?

Lawrence, KS (30 minutes from Kansas City)

In a month you want to start, right? Is this a one time major trip or do you plan on many trips?

I will be taking many trips. I'm going to be taking little 3-4 day trips during the summer as my job will restrict me from doing longer trips. However, I'll probably take a longer trip at both the beginning of the summer and the end of the summer.

Your bike looks great! In looking toward touring, this might help:

http://www.pashnit.com/hayabusa-mods.htm
PashnitBikeBuild: Modding the NEW Pashnit Hayabusa
MRA TouringScreen Windshield for Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, '08- - TwistedThrottle.com

Tim Pashnit is a member of this forum; you can look him up. There are people on the site that use the MRA touring screens- I'm looking to pick one up early this spring.

Hope that helps!

Wow. That pashnit website is amazing. So many more things to buy!

Yep, I agree. That was the first site that I studied pretty diligently when trying to decide whether to even get a busa or not. He convinced me, and this forum put it in concrete! I feel like Tim (I have no idea who he is, by the way) has a pretty good idea of what works/doesn't work based on the # of miles he rides per year.

For what it's worth, I think I'm going to pick up a ZG Double Bubble for a windscreen instead of a touring one. I am normally a function before form kind of guy, but I think the DB just looks better, and I don't mind some wind- just a little less than the stock one.

I think most people on here like pics, so as you do your upgrades, upload and share!

Thanks for the answers.

So camping. That means a Sleeping bag, tent, light, food? dishes? etc. So my guess would be you need saddle bags (or hard cases) and
a tank bag and a rack to pile the tent and sleeping bag on etc.

6-800 miles days your going to want a throttle lock or cruise control for sure.
Maybe bar risers?

Might want a GPS setup, or a way to hold a phone if you use that instead.
Do you have a tire repair kit?

Thanks for the answers.

So camping. That means a Sleeping bag, tent, light, food? dishes? etc. So my guess would be you need saddle bags (or hard cases) and
a tank bag and a rack to pile the tent and sleeping bag on etc.

6-800 miles days your going to want a throttle lock or cruise control for sure.
Maybe bar risers?

Might want a GPS setup, or a way to hold a phone if you use that instead.
Do you have a tire repair kit?

I'll definitely be going with a mount to hold my phone for GPS use. However, in general I'll probably just pullover for most functions. I like looking at maps and I ALWAYS take the back roads ;).

I don't have a tire repair kit, but I have AAA with the RV package, so I can get a tow and the tire repaired that way.

I've been talking to a friend who recommended bar risers. He did a 5000 mile trip and said they were great.

I probably won't be carrying food with me. I'll mainly stop for food. I tend to not eat much while on the road, anyway. Lunch will usually carry me through the day.

I'm definitely going to invest in a radar detector, as well. I'm looking at the Adaptive TPX that Tim recommends. Do any of you use this? If so, what are your opinions?

Thanks again for all the info!

Now I have a new and more pressing question. I'm in the market for a quality helmet. I want to spend 600 or less. I'd like it to be full face, SNELL and DOT and have bluetooth speakers for music. Could you recommend some good options? I'd pay more if it's REALLY a big difference, but I can't go much more.

Another Midwest rider!! Awesome. From the standpoint on helmets, I believe in getting the best, because it is your noggin afterall. Your budget of $600 seems pretty decent from that standpoint. From brands, I prefer ICON, but thats just preference.

Oh, and welcome to the ORG

Best

-D

Welcome

The most important upgrade to my gen1 busa, has to be the breaking system. If I had the cash I would get a Skully helmet it comes with everything. As far as bags go, go with Corbin bags and seat's you can not go wrong with them. Enjoy your busa, most of us here will customize it, to make it or own.

Hello everyone,

This is what has worked for me,,

-I used to use fieldsheer soft saddle bags and tail bag but grew tired of having to tape the paint to prevent scratches and now have a third wheel trailer.

-I use have fieldsheer 2 piece rain gear sized to fit over my riding gear (I have never had a so-called water resistant jacket that kept me dry like dedicated rain gear does).

-Having gone through several pairs of water proof cold weather gloves, these are the ones I'm happy with: 5 Finger - Fulmer Helmets, Inc

-Change the oil every 3000-4000 miles, lube the chain often enough that it never looks completely dry.

-Have the ECU flashed to eliminate the restriction, a TRE hurts mileage and drivability.

-Pilots Powers were the go to tire for me but now I have Pilot Road 3's and couldn't be happier with the wear, plus the rain doesn't seen to bother them to much.

Would it be more advantageous to buy a dedicated bluetooth unit and add it to the helmet? I would rather spend good money on a helmet, and not get a cheap one with bluetooth electronics already built it, because you're probably paying for the electronics. BTW.... I haven't personally seen a quality helmet that had bluetooth built-in. I'm sure there are exceptions, but when I went helmet hunting, I couldn't find any. My price was below the $600 mark, so that may have been my challenge.

This is what I'm planning to get for me and the wifey... Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Headset - Dual Pack - RevZilla

They sell them in single packs as well, for $175 I believe.

Back