Plugs

Kiwibusa

Registered
I'm up for the 7500ml or 12,000km service, says replace the Iridium plugs, seems a little short for what are quite pricey plugs, will not changing them now affect warranty etc?

I would guess you could run them longer but I would just change them. I dont know if you have a g2 or 1. but i have a g1 and started using irridium plugs and change them out at around that time. if you google it you can find them at a fairly reasonable price. I get mine on ebay.

Why do you guys use iridium plugs? I've always used regular, and never had a problem. Even on my turbo bike, still regular CR9E.

Why do you guys use iridium plugs? I've always used regular, and never had a problem. Even on my turbo bike, still regular CR9E.

Same here. I'm a bit slack on servicing and my bikes tend to be either stored away
or abused to hell. Never bought an iridium plug in the last 10 years, never had a drama.
Bikes run just as healthy, street and strip.

I run the iridiums, but change them every 20K miles. I'm paying $40 a set.

Now, that makes sense. Not that it is difficult to change plugs, but I would gladly do it less often.

Extended mileage until service is needed... is it something that the manufacturer clearly claims, or your personal decision?

Now, that makes sense. Not that it is difficult to change plugs, but I would gladly do it less often.

Extended mileage until service is needed... is it something that the manufacturer clearly claims, or your personal decision?

Personal decision based on many friends input here at the oRg and to be honest there is nothing wrong with my plugs when I change them, the bike is always running well and getting the same fuel mileage. I have no doubt I could double the 20K. I use what the factory suggest for my Gen II and they have always been $10 / plug.

Thanks, I might try. About $32 on ebay. AutoZone wanted $4.5 per plug for regular ones. I said forget about it.

Aren't iridium plugs the OEM suggestion?

I don't think I would change them after that mileage. I just replaced mine... at 40K. The ones that were replaced didn't look too, but I didn't know how long it had been since the previous owner changed them out.

I replace mine every spring, just because its easier to do them before there's a problem, and 25$ for a set it a hell of alot cheaper than a flatbead tow and replacing them later.

Just my $0.02

-D

I think the good thing about spark plug failures is that they deteriorate gradually, and I would imagine not all at the same time. So, no matter how bad the spark is, the bike will still run, although far from perfect.

I am going to try some iridium plugs. I thought I read somewhere that they come with a factory gap at .032 but we should regap them to .028. Is this correct?

I did my annual service last week. Super easy to chage I just clean them with coke and sandpaper and there just like new.

Back