who needs a turbo?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Well I have been thinking long term on my busa. I would like to add another bike to the garage and I really like the BMW 1600 for long touring. If I do that then the Busa can be anything from a track bike to a street sweeper. So, I guess I'm trying to figure out what it's like to live with a turbo bike putting out 300-350 whp? I'm a big guy and the stock Busa with just an exhaust and tune will get up like crazy. As far as riding the twisties I can't really see that kind of power, and if there is any lag at all I wouldn't be happy with the engine. Also that big filter hanging out there on the lower left side would be a ground clearance issue and a mess in the rain. I eat a Q3 on the rear in 2500 (summer) -3000 (winter) miles. Seems with a turbo it would polish off a rear in 1500 or less! I'm not anti-turbo and I would love the experience of learning how all that technology works but I'm trying to get my head around that kind of power!

Nobody "needs" a turbo..... especially on a Hayabusa of all bikes :whistle:

With that being said it comes down 2 a matter or "want"

You can sit on here and read testimonies from turbo busa owners till your eyeballs fall out :laugh: But your never gonna really know until you know....

When you feel that power and acceleration that really can't be described adequately in words.... at least not in words allowed on this forum then and only then will the light bulb turn on and you'll be able 2 wrap your head around the power of a 300+HP motorcycle!

:beerchug:

u don't need a filter to hang out the side. I didn't have one on my old setup and I was makn 335 rwhp on pump gas. with a GT28/30 the filter fits under the fairing. id say till uve actually ridn a Turbo bike I wud not be concerned about lag. there is no lag with a smaller turbo. u twist the throttle and u go.

it only makes power wen u twist the throttle so if u want less power in the turns then twist the throttle less but wen the road straightens out ull be watching who over ur riding with start to instantly disappear in ur rear view mirror.....:poke:

So the turbos are as livable as the stock busas? Are there any compromises for maintenance, livability, or do you just need a bigger ticket fund? The busa is the perfect bike stock - it can do anything well (touring, honing, etc.). So with the turbo is it still a "reasonable" and reliable ride?

So the turbos are as livable as the stock busas? Are there any compromises for maintenance, livability, or do you just need a bigger ticket fund? The busa is the perfect bike stock - it can do anything well (touring, honing, etc.). So with the turbo is it still a "reasonable" and reliable ride?

Bigger tire fund, as you already know.
I would like to know how well the "pump gas" street turbo guys bikes perform overall.
With all this ethonal crap out there, and no way to really know what you're getting; does anyone notice a performance drop depending on where you buy your gas?
I know that bikes need to be tuned for optimum performance to run on higher octane(100-110), but would filling half the tank with high octane clear up any ethonal problems(expensive as that is). 110 is just under $10 a gallon here now, and gradually dropping with regular gas prices.
I also claim to know very little about turbo bikes, that's why I'm asking.

I've PMed GNBRETT about turbos as well, I'm intrigued... looks like I'll be moving to the lower 48 in a few months (thanks USAF) so I'll be closer to people who know how to tune bikes! A pump gas turbo is what I'm interested in too. They seem amazing, best of all worlds - reliable, powerful, and still don't pigeonhole the busa into one type of riding (i.e. 1/4 mile only).

My questions is - is it pretty much a given that you have to have an extended swing arm - and how much do you guys that have turbo busas with stretched swing arms feel that it impacts your handling?

This is more than enough for me.

It's a money pit and the bike loses value, but cool if you do the work yourself as a hobby, just to explore possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've PMed GNBRETT about turbos as well, I'm intrigued... looks like I'll be moving to the lower 48 in a few months (thanks USAF) so I'll be closer to people who know how to tune bikes! A pump gas turbo is what I'm interested in too. They seem amazing, best of all worlds - reliable, powerful, and still don't pigeonhole the busa into one type of riding (i.e. 1/4 mile only).

My questions is - is it pretty much a given that you have to have an extended swing arm - and how much do you guys that have turbo busas with stretched swing arms feel that it impacts your handling?

I've ridden plenty of stretched bikes.
If you like to drag knees like I do, they aren't for you.
Depending upon the length of the stretch it's not like they won't corner at all, but you just can't expect it to perform like stock length.

My bike made 280bhp with .68 t3/t4 and came on like a light. My seat time was limited but I switched to a .48 hot side and is somewhat more predictable. Since I have racked up more seat time I can keep the wheel a few inches off the ground when launching and shifting. My bike is mostly for commuting and taking long tides on the weekend, not a all out drag bike. I like the twisties but don't get crazy in them. I will be stretching the arm 6 inches and I believe that will give the bike a little wheelie resistance lol. Personally I've hear about turbo lag reliability and what not. My bike has gave me problems since ice got it but I bought it that way will be bring to Boosted cycle to have it fixed. I don't plan on my busa ever being non turbo after feeling the turbo light and pull I can't go back.

jus more money. basically ur just forcing more air into the engine. more air, more fuel more HP. there isn't any reliability issues with the motor or turbo. never had any of those issues.

I've had plenty of air shifter issues as they are a PITA but personally I can't live without it so I muster thru the BS and aggravation it brings.

if ur just cruising around on a WELL TUNED Turbo bike u wud nvr even know u had a turbo on it. as long as its TUNED properly. if u have some hack tune it, it will make u want to ride it off a cliff!

Bigger tire fund, as you already know.
I would like to know how well the "pump gas" street turbo guys bikes perform overall.
With all this ethonal crap out there, and no way to really know what you're getting; does anyone notice a performance drop depending on where you buy your gas?
I know that bikes need to be tuned for optimum performance to run on higher octane(100-110), but would filling half the tank with high octane clear up any ethonal problems(expensive as that is). 110 is just under $10 a gallon here now, and gradually dropping with regular gas prices.
I also claim to know very little about turbo bikes, that's why I'm asking.
bikes are either tuned for 93 pump gas or C16 usually or E85 if u have it. no need for race gas unless u want to turn the boost way up. wen u can make 400+ hp on 93 pump there really is no need to run C16 imo cause that BRUTAL power on the street. I've never even added any octane booster to mine. no need.

u absolutely do NOT need an extended arm on ur Turbo bike. plenty of ppl ride at a stock WB. mine last year was only +3 over and as long as you can control the boost properly and u have the right suspension setup ull never lift the tire or spin. AGAIN PROPER BOOST CONTROL AND TUNE!!!!! I wud go WOT and never spin or lift. u need a good gripping tire like a Shinko hook-up or Power one or watever else u like that grips.

but those tires are not wat u want if u plan of dragging ur knee around corners tho. their essentially drag radials. sticky. NOT cornering tires. you can't have everything.

but I can tell you +3 inches over (61.5 inches) you can still hang corners just fine. I went to a longer arm cause I don't carve corners any longer cause I'm afraid some teenage girl texting her BFF is gonna make a hood ornament out of me....:whistle:

Mr. Fallenarch! Are you really looking at a K1600gt? That's great because me too! I am really looking forward to doing some serious touring and there is nothing like the 1600. BTW, good advice above re: smaller turbo, mine has no lag issues at all yet puts 240 hp and 144 lbs of torque to the ground whenever you're in the mood, otherwise it feels like an NA regular Busa. Congrats on your good taste with the Bimmer! Doyle

It all depends WHO builds, tunes and sets it up! If you go to someone that really knows what they are doing and builds them regularly then it will run just like a stock bike. Like anything you've got to maintain it and take care of it. As long as you do the regular stuff you would do with any bike then you'll be fine. If you're one of those guys that can't change his oil, never checks tire pressure or oils and adjusts the chain,....then any bike let alone a Turbo bike is NOT for you. :rofl:

You will have no issues with stock wheelbase! It just depends what kind of power REALISTICALLY you are trying to make and put down? Get a boost controller and set it up correctly and you'll have no issues even with a silly powered bike. The stories about guys having a peaky and crazy bike probably never had a boost controller. If they did it wasn't setup right or adjusted properly to the application they needed. My bike makes over 400whp+ and I ride stock wheelbase. Right now I just use the ECU editor boost control and it's easy to ride but not NEARLY what it could be with an AMS. I've also got my bike setup for top end runs so my gearing is to tall for what you'd use on the street or 1/4-mile. My bike is setup to be a 100% STREET BIKE that you can ride anywhere and anytime. My bike is about as sleeper and stock appearing as it gets, and you'd never know it was Turbo unless I told you or you saw the gauges.

Tires and maintenance intervals will just depend how WILD you ride the thing. If you ride like a complete hooligan now then a Turbo may not be what you need.

Things you need to think about....

1) How much can you afford to spend?

2) What is your goal?

3) Who do you want to build it?

Arch, I want to welcome you to the turbo club! Man, you don't know what you are missing. Picking the right installer/tuner is key. Once you do that, you absolutely have to discuss with that person what you are looking for, what are your desires, etc. There is some back and forth to iron out supporting mods to the bike. Also, ask specifically for reliability and not for max output. I am sure you will be asked this question.

Mine is stage 1 on gen 1 bike, tuned for reliability by Power House (Frank), making 242 HP. All tucked in under the body work including the air filter, and I've done 3 track days on her. No one can tell it's a turbo, and that's the way I wanted. If I didn't know it had a turbo I wouldn't be able to tell - that's how smooth power delivery is. True power on demand. At small throttle opening behaves like a stock bike. I never notice any lag.

After almost 2 years, I rarely can use max power, if ever, so you have to ask yourself how much power do you really need. Also consider this: you can go for stage 1, ride for a while and if you really feel you need more, then go to stage 2. Key is to discuss it with the installer so that you have a long term plan and provision all mods accordingly.

You can get away with around $6k for stage 1. Pick an installer and ask if they can offer a deal/discount/sale. I think even if you don't do it now, it's important to talk to a potential installer to get the feel for specifics/pricing. There are a number of smaller points to consider. Makes it a lot easier to figure things out. Not to mention that if you start communicating, they may offer you an unadvertised deal.

Is yours Gen1 or 2? I think Gen 1 can get more power for the same price.

Fallen you are going to spend $10k for a turbo setup. No way around it unless you just get a stage one and keep the boost really low in which case you would be somewhere around 230 hp. You can get that from a head and cam package almost and will cost you less. If you really want a turbo on the gen II it going to cost you to have it done right.

Fallen doesn't strike me as the type 2 cut corners in order 2 save a few bucks. He knows a turbo is gonna put a hurting on his wallet and if he's considering a BMW 1600 as a 2nd bike I'm sure he can swing it if he really wants 2:laugh:

I think he's more or less trying 2 figure out is it worth it and it's like I said b4 you'll never know until you know :whistle:

Fallen you are going to spend $10k for a turbo setup. No way around it unless you just get a stage one and keep the boost really low in which case you would be somewhere around 230 hp. You can get that from a head and cam package almost and will cost you less. If you really want a turbo on the gen II it going to cost you to have it done right.
yea but he can build on it from there.... no need to do everything at once.

Back