Paint proctection

busafan08

Registered
What do you some of you guys use as far as paint protection goes I have a pristine LE pearl white and concerned about the front fender and side fairings the front fender gets more of a hiding I think from the elements already got a little nick on it I have a can of Armour all clear protected but reluctant to use it yet any ideas thanks :thumbsup:

get it wrapped in clear 3m wrap that people get car bumpers done in. its very good stuff and cant really be seen. but it will peel off at anytime

I don't know if the clear will guarantee absolute protection, but it's a good idea. I have several nicks on my fender and a couple good dings on the headlamp lens of my '08 from pebbles.

3M clear bra for a bike is cheap. The parts kits aren't large.

This is the site I buy mine from:

Auto Paint Guard

It's about $125 for a kit... I just looked and didn't see busa listed, so you'd have to call up Monday if you were interested. They just download patterns and cut.

Did you guys install your own clear 3M kits? I tried and gave up after trying a tail piece (the place I care the least about getting hit by a rock whilst riding). Would you recommend a motorcycle shop, or an auto shop or something else (detailer/paint shop) to have it installed?

Thanks,

Blrry

You can install it yourself. It's not difficult.

Use a spray bottle with baby shampoo + water, spray down your fingers and the bike (make sure its clean first!) and then the 3m material can be unpeeled and laid on the bike. You then use a squeegee to remove the water from under the film and you're done. Press around the edges for a good seal.

Where you will have problems, are around curved areas. Those can require affixing one side and then stretching the other to fit properly. The professional will use a heat gun to soften the plastic.

Ahh, that explains it - the part I was trying to install was VERY curved (by the rear turn signals) and I couldn't for the life of me get the flat sheet to conform to the curves of the part I was trying to apply it to. Maybe I'll call around and see what people charge, if its cheap, I'll save myself the headache and have someone else do it. Thanks for the tip about the heat gun though, I'll use mine if I try to attempt it later!

When you work around a curved area, you will end up with "fingers" that stick out.

I just keep working out the wrinkles till it compresses the film and sticks. You haven't seen difficult till you've tried this with the super thick 3M material (for headlights) around a curved lamp..

Back