The Great Pumpkin will rise again!

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
I had a nasty low side a couple of years ago and replaced my fairings with China knockoffs. I put the old fairings up in the building and thought I would use them for track plastics. Well, I bought a SV650 so no need for track plastics. I decided to put some effort into bringing the factory ones back after finding some spray paint that matches pretty well. It's a tad more orange but has the flakes like the factory paint does. I'm using filler primer and glaze compound to get the scratches out. I used a plastic welder where the plastic was cracked. I went ahead and did the inners just to see how it was going to look before I tackled the big stuff. Here are a few pics after I got started and I'll take more as I proceed.

002.jpg

003.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

Well, I had a setback today. I had to order 4 more cans out of Oreilly's warehouse. The first can I was able to get my mirrors sprayed then the can quit working. Second can spewed paint out of the can where the nozzle goes in. Third and fourth cans wouldn't work at all. I called and they are ordering all 11 cans out of Atlanta. Hope to have the replacements by Thurs. I have all the decals and I can't wait to get it finished. No pictures today, I hope to get some as soon as I get started back.

Back in business. I went and retrieved my replacement cans and so far the 2 cans I've used have worked great. I was able to paint the tank, front fender and tail section. Decals covered good, just need to wet sand and buff. I'll get some pics and post tomorrow.

Here are some pics as promised

001.jpg

picture of the tank after I had just cleared it

002.jpg

the can of paint used and tail after it was cleared

003.jpg

after base coat sprayed, it appears dull

004.jpg

mirror after wet-sanding and polishing

005.jpg

everything hanging to dry overnight after clear was applied

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Looks real good.

How long before it's totally done - Tomorrow is Halloween :laugh:

Oh I forgot you can ride at Thanksgiving time as we can't up here.
They are predicting SNOW for Tomorrow. Little kids are going to freeze. :laugh: I forgot again Kids don't mind the cold. :whistle:

Looks real good.

How long before it's totally done - Tomorrow is Halloween :laugh:

Oh I forgot you can ride at Thanksgiving time as we can't up here.
They are predicting SNOW for Tomorrow. Little kids are going to freeze. :laugh: I forgot again Kids don't mind the cold. :whistle:

I hope to finished this weekend and put it together the first of next week. Yeah, I ride all year. I usually have a New Year's ride every year unless it's raining.

Well, I was finally able to finish it up today and get it back together. This was as close to getting a pumpkin on the front porch as I could. I'm very happy with the way it turned out considering what I had to start with.

100.jpg

200.jpg

300.jpg

400.jpg

500.jpg

Looking really good
Nothing wrong with a rattle can if the prep and technique is sound.
I can see yours is :thumbsup

Well, I was finally able to finish it up today and get it back together. This was as close to getting a pumpkin on the front porch as I could. I'm very happy with the way it turned out considering what I had to start with.

what was your process for painting the mirror and dash panel

Back