How to handle a crash

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Serious question, as I really do not know. Live in the USA 14 years now but never had an accident. (Excluding track of course :laugh:)

With full insurance if I have an accident and someone else is involved, I call 911, police come out and do a report, right?

What if it was minor?

What if I crashed alone, can still ride the bike, but will file an insurance report?

Is it the same in all states?

If you plan on claiming the damage on your insurance (in a solo crash) report it with a 911/non emergency call depending on if you are okay.

With 2 or more parties, make a report, this eliminates the my word against theirs thing should they refuse to pay or if insurance companies want to duke it out.

I can't see how making a report of an incident would be a bad thing really.

-D

On the street...ANY crash I would not leave until the police show up to file a report if another vehicle is involved. If you crash alone then I would keep the police out of it since you will be written up for losing control.

On the street...ANY crash I would not leave until the police show up to file a report if another vehicle is involved. If you crash alone then I would keep the police out of it since you will be written up for losing control.

True, I suppose ever incident is different and it all depends on how bad the damage is, and if you are hurt ect. Best to use your discretion on a case by case basis.

-D

Thanks, if crashing alone and insurance is claimed, we still need a police report from what D posted? Surely if one slides on gravel, oil, or something similar they won't write you up for losing control?

Thanks, if crashing alone and insurance is claimed, we still need a police report from what D posted? Surely if one slides on gravel, oil, or something similar they won't write you up for losing control?

That may be true where you live but certainly not true in Washington State. If you fall down for any reason and the State Patrol shows up you are getting a traffic ticket. If you are dying as the medics slide you into the meat wagon I have heard tales of the WSP poking a ticket in a pocket or inside the leathers of the victim.

My response to anyone who falls down and able to ride to get that puppy up and get the hell out of dodge before the WSP shows up. I have pushed crashed bikes off the road, laid them on their side and covered them with weeds, brush or whatever was available only to return later and retrieve the wreckage. In crashed situations the WSP's favorite tickets are "To fast for conditions" and "Driving with wheels off the pavement" with "Reckless or Negligent" driving as a second choice.

thats up to the individual Trooper. not all Troopers are given cite someone because they went down. in that part of the country its common for animals to jump out therefore causing one to crash. to say all Troopers are gonna site ppl for goin down is just no true.

now hey if ur riding like an idiot and have 300 feet of skid and landed 200 feet into the woods then yes ur probably gettn sited as you shud be!

That may be true where you live but certainly not true in Washington State. If you fall down for any reason and the State Patrol shows up you are getting a traffic ticket. If you are dying as the medics slide you into the meat wagon I have heard tales of the WSP poking a ticket in a pocket or inside the leathers of the victim.

My response to anyone who falls down and able to ride to get that puppy up and get the hell out of dodge before the WSP shows up. I have pushed crashed bikes off the road, laid them on their side and covered them with weeds, brush or whatever was available only to return later and retrieve the wreckage. In crashed situations the WSP's favorite tickets are "To fast for conditions" and "Driving with wheels off the pavement" with "Reckless or Negligent" driving as a second choice.

If fully insured and they want a police report, what then?

Ask Flicka about tickets in NC...Trooper Thatch. (FastFrog likes him too, but for reasons other than crashing.)

If you go down and there is no other vehicle involved...YOU are
liable for not maintaining control of your vehicle...ticket time for
you. Even if they don't cite you at the scene, they can ticket you
later.

I'm

It's a personal decision ( single vehicle, no injury, no property damage other than your bike ), but If you make a claim regardless of circumstances the cost of your insurance will be affected. Every situation is different and has it's own set of circumstances.

From my own observations you'll be very lucky to miss out on a citation.

A police report is not a requirement for a single vehicle crash. However, the insurance company will ask for the police report. Simply tell the truth that no one was injured and the police were not required.

What I don't understand is WHY YOU don't just call your insurance agent and ask him/her what their policies are?

Talk to the horses mouth. Each insurance company might be different, so ask YOUR insurance company.

There is no crime in asking them - you just want to be informed of what to do IF something happens, right?
Better to find out before something happens then after and find out you are NOT covered.

You could also call (or look-up online) your State Police and ask them if it is a LAW that you have to stick around
if you fell down but didn't hit anything. Do you have to stick around and wait for police if both parties agree to report it
and you trade info with each other? How long after an accident do you have to report it? Questions like these are one's the
police should know or you could look them up.

Don't get me wrong - asking here was a good thing as I will be calling my agent soon. :laugh:
It's just that you will get many opinions and the only ones that matter are the ones in your area and/or state.

True, I suppose ever incident is different and it all depends on how bad the damage is, and if you are hurt ect. Best to use your discretion on a case by case basis.

-D

Agreed, if another car is involved I think having a police report is important especially when it comes to legal protection. If it is a solo incident, if I am ok enough to get up, I would leave the police out of it. In Virginia, if you have a solo crash you will be written a ticket whether or not it is your fault.

I was asking these questions, as I just started riding to work and back with the Busa and the thought came to mind. I did not grow up in the US, never had an accident here, so I am at a disadvantage with most of you.

So, I asked my wife last night (born and raised in Michigan) and she reminded me that she totaled a friends Honda Civic with my truck in the parking lot, the Honda had expired tags more than a year. She got the truck fixed with insurance, no police report and settled with the friend in quiet. (It was an old car, not worth much) She confirmed that I will probably get a ticket if the Popo arrives on the scene. My insurance broker (State Farm) says they always prefer a police report, go figure.

What I don't understand is WHY YOU don't just call your insurance agent and ask him/her what their policies are?

Talk to the horses mouth. Each insurance company might be different, so ask YOUR insurance company.

There is no crime in asking them - you just want to be informed of what to do IF something happens, right?
Better to find out before something happens then after and find out you are NOT covered.

You could also call (or look-up online) your State Police and ask them if it is a LAW that you have to stick around
if you fell down but didn't hit anything. Do you have to stick around and wait for police if both parties agree to report it
and you trade info with each other? How long after an accident do you have to report it? Questions like these are one's the
police should know or you could look them up.

Don't get me wrong - asking here was a good thing as I will be calling my agent soon. :laugh:
It's just that you will get many opinions and the only ones that matter are the ones in your area and/or state.

Because he might not want to make a claim and push his premium through the roof

One experience not to be confused with every experience. State Farm doesn't take claims lightly.

Solo accident..... if you are ok and have all limbs still attached I wouldn't involve the Police. If somebody hits you and it's just a minor fender bender or say somebody backed over you bike in a parking lot. If you exchange information license, insurance, plates, etc. I don't see the need 2 contact the police either. I got rear ended a few months back by a woman texting on her phone. I got out she pulled over we exchanged info and I was on the phone with her insurance and had an assessment scheduled a few days later. Truck was fixed and paid by her insurance in less than 2 weeks time. Nobody was injured and she knew she was at fault so I didn't feel the need 2 call the police and wait around 4 them 2 arrive.

Now if somebody hits you and then tries 2 take off or doesn't have insurance absolutely call the police and if somebody is hostile or not admitting guilt call the police but for minor fender benders with rationale adults I don't see the point?

In Virginia, if you have a solo crash you will be written a ticket whether or not it is your fault.

Remind me to NEVER think about living in VA. Come on now, if a deer ran out in front of you what could you have done to prevent an accident?
You can't control wild animals, can you?

If someone changed lanes and didn't do a head check and this forced you to swerve and therefore caused a crash and the vehicle took off......
only because you swerved you didn't hit them and so it would look like a solo crash - and your saying you would get a ticket? That's just wrong. :banghead:

Only 2 states in the USA out law radar detectors and VA is one of them. :banghead:
If you get caught going over 90 you go to jail. That's wrong too. :banghead:

I think I would be afraid to live in VA. Too many :rulez: Probably get busted for rules they have which are unique to VA but lack common sense to most people. :banghead:

Bet they have insurance rules that are different from the rest of the USA too.

Oh well, glad I don't live there. It must have some good qualities - I just can't think of any at the moment. :laugh:

Virginia sucks! I hate it here! I do eventually plan on moving. Everyone in this state does not care for bikes either and I think drivers swear by texting while driving too! Riding here is like going into battle, when I raced I was far more relaxed than ever riding on the street.

Remind me to NEVER think about living in VA. Come on now, if a deer ran out in front of you what could you have done to prevent an accident?
You can't control wild animals, can you?

If someone changed lanes and didn't do a head check and this forced you to swerve and therefore caused a crash and the vehicle took off......
only because you swerved you didn't hit them and so it would look like a solo crash - and your saying you would get a ticket? That's just wrong. :banghead:

Only 2 states in the USA out law radar detectors and VA is one of them. :banghead:
If you get caught going over 90 you go to jail. That's wrong too. :banghead:

I think I would be afraid to live in VA. Too many :rulez: Probably get busted for rules they have which are unique to VA but lack common sense to most people. :banghead:

Bet they have insurance rules that are different from the rest of the USA too.

Oh well, glad I don't live there. It must have some good qualities - I just can't think of any at the moment. :laugh:

Back