Can a motorcycle accelerate and not change it's speed?

The engine can accelerate without a change in speed if the clutch is slipping. That is likely your problem.

Is this one of those airplane-on-a-treadmill questions? If so, the answer is yes, it can accelerate without changing speed.

Bike on a dyno...

Bike orbiting the Earth (if someone wants to go through the trouble)...

I could throw in that a parked bike is orbiting the Sun along with planet Earth, thus being in a constant fall, but that would be pushing it, right? LOL

However, the next one is perfectly valid: if I am dreaming, then in my dream I am accelerating really hard, but the bike is actually peacefully and quietly sitting in my garage.

The answer is yes. A change in direction, even though an object is moving at a constant speed, meets the criteria for acceleration. Go to a parking lot and ride your motorcycle in a circle at 15 mph. At every point in the circle you are changing direction (vector) and so you are accelerating even when traveling at a constant 15mph.

Well, actually, sticking to the technical definition of the word...no. Because acceleration, by definition, requires a in rate or speed. Therefore, if the speed stays the same, acceleration has not occurred and if the speed has increased, then acceleration has occurred.

That said, the physics world seems to feel that acceleration can be achieved with any change in velocity (direction + speed), so FALQN's example holds up for the physicists among us. :)

Oh, this Enlish language.... :)

When you hit a bump the bike accelerates upward, so yes you can accelerate without a change in the primary speed of the bike.

The answer is yes. A change in direction, even though an object is moving at a constant speed, meets the criteria for acceleration. Go to a parking lot and ride your motorcycle in a circle at 15 mph. At every point in the circle you are changing direction (vector) and so you are accelerating even when traveling at a constant 15mph.

Bingo! We have a winner! Every time a bike corners even if the speed is constant is under going acceleration.

Cheers
ken

Bingo! We have a winner! Every time a bike corners even if the speed is constant is under going acceleration.

Cheers
ken

Hmmm... Then why are we always slower in the turns? :banghead:

arsenio.jpg

Ask a dumb question = Get a dumb answer! :dunno:

Accelerate = Increase speed (dictionary form)

Rich, how the hell are you?

I see you haven't lost your sense of humor LOL!!!

The dictionary is you final authority? :)

cheers
ken

Could it be that your sources are a better authority than Webster?

I learned early on in debating, never ask a question unless you know the answer! :)

Back