that was unexpected.

jch364

Registered
ok so i took my 06 out the other day for a ride. during the ride i smelled the obvious smell of radiator fluid.. didnt see any leaking under me at a stop so it was not catastrophic but i needed to go home. come to find out it seems i have a tiny little pin hole in the center of the radiator. god only knows how that happened. debris probably.
now i know places can weld car radiators but what about a bike one? anyone have this happen?

You can do either, a good shop can fix it. Everything I read something like this I think to myself, I really need to put a guard on my bike.

yea i was thinking about the guard thing too.. .after the fact..lol.. new radiator is over $600 which is stupid

is there a bike junkyard anywhere near you? $600!!!! dang.

you can make a cheep and easy guard out of a screen door screen guard and a few zip ties. any expanded alum. would work.

good luck.

Insurance ???

If a rock came up and damaged your radiator on you car - would insurance cover it?

If so, why not on a bike?

Might be worth asking if it is covered. Can't hurt, right?

Insurance ???

If a rock came up and damaged your radiator on you car - would insurance cover it?

If so, why not on a bike?

Might be worth asking if it is covered. Can't hurt, right?

Insurance doesn't cover road hazards.

**edit** at least in my neck of the woods, windshields are only covered by some companies because its a safety hazard.

Insurance doesn't cover road hazards.

**edit** at least in my neck of the woods, windshields are only covered by some companies because its a safety hazard.

That is strange. IF my bike tipped over in the garage it would be covered and if there was a screwdriver around and it put a pin
hole in my radiator I'm sure that would be covered too.

I'm not suggesting the OP say that happened but a road hazard more than likely caused the hole - unless
you wanted to argue that it was week metal at that point from the factory - which I guess it could have been ???

My insurance also now covers apparel like Jacket, gloves and helmets.

I guess the OP has nothing to loose by asking. Either way he has to get something done before he rides again - I think. ???

That is strange. IF my bike tipped over in the garage it would be covered and if there was a screwdriver around and it put a pin
hole in my radiator I'm sure that would be covered too.

I'm not suggesting the OP say that happened but a road hazard more than likely caused the hole - unless
you wanted to argue that it was week metal at that point from the factory - which I guess it could have been ???

My insurance also now covers apparel like Jacket, gloves and helmets.

I guess the OP has nothing to loose by asking. Either way he has to get something done before he rides again - I think. ???

I agree it's 100% worth asking, cheapest option. Just saying from my experience with a driving company. May change state to state, company to company, or even plan to plan.

Ins can cover road hazard if he elected to get it.
Question is what's his deductible? If he's like most he has a $1000 deductible so it doesn't make sense to make a claim. Even a $500 deductible makes it not worth it.

There is a gen I used radiator in the for sale now... In the gen I parts list ad. On forum runner so I don't have a linky.

ill check all the options. after 51k miles i doubt it was fatigue. never considered a guard. always thought it would hinder air flow. of course hindering rock flow is a little more relevant

Back