Can't Bust The Axle Loose on My '06

SpeedFiend

Registered
The front tire on my '06 is in desperate need of being replaced (factory original!), so I'm finally getting around to it. Problem is, the front axle seems to be seized pretty solid. Yes, I've loosened the pinch bolts on the right side and kept the left side tight. I've also been spraying Liquid Wrench on it for the past few days to no avail. It felt like I was about to knock the bike off the stand reefing on it, so I hit it with a 1/2" impact wrench which did precisely nothing. Is this a left hand thread or something? Any other ideas? I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult. The axle on my '11 came off no problem when I did it...

'06 with the original front? Wow!

First off, never loosen the axle nut while the bike is on the stand. Second, get yourself a breaker bar (just a long - 2-3ft wrench), and this baby is likely to give in. The axle nut could've been overtightened, or someone put too much lock-tite in there. Alrernatively, you could use a pipe as an extension of the wrench you have.

That's what I have, and it works every time.

1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar

image_23224.jpg

BTW, how long is the wrench you are using? 1 ft may be barely enough, and if less than that it may be tough to provide adequate torque.

Agreed....get the bike off a stand before doing any major nut loosening and if possible get someone to hold it steady.
Get a good quality sockets and the 1/2" impact gun should do it...if not, then a breaker bar/extension pipe is bound to move it...thats all my local tyre fitter uses.
If not then loosen the other side pinch bolts just to check the whole shaft spins, just incase its seized into the fork legs....if that doesn't show the shaft is loose then you need to get something into the gap in the fork bottoms and open the gap a bit, enough to get some light oil in around the shaft.

Just so were on the same page - YOU are using a 24mm hex stock in the axle - right? then using a 24mm socket to loosen the axle - right?
It is a standard right handed thread so lefty loosey.

Gen I are different than the Gen II - right?

If you are worried about breaking something spend the extra 15 dollars for a shop to take it off. If you planned on doing the tire too then maybe an extra 35. I did mine the way you describe (on the ground though) and came off pretty simply. Good luck.

Yes, 24mm hex into the axle. I have a 3ft breaker bar, but it just seems like it shouldn't be that tight. I guess it must have corroded a bit after all this time...

I guess it must have corroded a bit

In AZ :laugh:

You don't know what corrosion is, as I'll bet they don't put salt on your roads. :rofl:

Come to MI and I can show you what corrosion is.

OK this is what I would do - put the bike on a rear stand and the front wheel on the ground.
Then put the hex in and the socket on and then the ratchet or breaker bar and maybe a pipe over that.
Then hold the front brake on and step on the pipe OR at least push real hard. Are you a lightweight? Get someone bigger to help you.

Did you put oil or wd40 etc one the left hand side where the threads are? If not add some there too.

You don't know what corrosion is, as I'll bet they don't put salt on your roads. :rofl:

OK this is what I would do - put the bike on a rear stand and the front wheel on the ground.
Then put the hex in and the socket on and then the ratchet or breaker bar and maybe a pipe over that.
Then hold the front brake on and step on the pipe OR at least push real hard. Are you a lightweight? Get someone bigger to help you.

Did you put oil or wd40 etc one the left hand side where the threads are? If not add some there too.

It's a close fit on the right too. Maybe oil both sides?

If you loosen the all the pinch bolts and turn it you may find where your corrosion is... If the axle and left spacer turns its only in the threads....

at 72 Ft/lbs (recommended torque), I have to stand on my socket arm sometimes to break it loose. If it's been on there awhile...I only tighen mine to 68.

Regardless, you've got to get it off, even if you have to buy a new axle and bolt. Might as well go for it.

100_0373.jpg

I've lived in the Mitten a time or two :laugh:

Anyway, it was just a bit of rust. Broke it loose with the cheater bar and some choice commentary.

I remember one time at the dragon, one of our members, Boaz, lost all the front bearings on his custom busa. It took myself, semi and omslaw, all three of us, to lean on the tool we had with us to get that sucker loose!:banghead:

That doesn't look like an 06 to me.

Do you have a Gen II also?

Glad you got it off, now to change the tire. :whistle:

LOL, gotta love these threads. OP first post says he also has an 11.

BTW, I just park my Harley next to the Busa and rev it a bit. Vibrates all the nuts loose on the Busa.:laugh:

Back