Is this Repairable?

unfuquitable

Registered
I laid it down last week and finally disassembling everything to see its damage. I've taken off the cover (near kick stand). The guts was damaged just a bit and were removed in pic. See Attached picture with arrows towards damage in question. image.jpgimage-1.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is the piece that broke off in 1 piece?

You asked if it was repairable. You would need the piece that broke off and a real good welder to weld it up.
Then it would need to be smoothed out especially on the inside. So It might be repairable.

However looking at the images you posted I doubt it and you need a new case.

Sorry for your loss.

Is the piece that broke off in 1 piece?

You asked if it was repairable. You would need the piece that broke off and a real good welder to weld it up.
Then it would need to be smoothed out especially on the inside. So It might be repairable.

However looking at the images you posted I doubt it and you need a new case.

Sorry for your loss.

No. the other pieces are probably on side of the road somewhere. Is there a new case to be bought. if so, do you know the technical name of this part. More than likely, i'll have to buy another one.

Engine case ?

Do you have the tools and know how to tear down the engine.

No insurance?

A new/used engine MIGHT be a lot less work - just replace it vs. tearing down what you have. JMHO.
Either way it's going to be $$$$.

Engine case ?

Do you have the tools and know how to tear down the engine.

No insurance?

A new/used engine MIGHT be a lot less work - just replace it vs. tearing down what you have. JMHO.
Either way it's going to be $$$$.

Ooh lawd. so that lil crack may constitute a whole new/used engine. and only liability. Thanks bro. I'll start looking around.

I'd check on ebay for used cases. Also I've seen Gen1 cases 4 sale on Psychobike as well

If you had the other piece it'd be easy to throw it on with some JB weld or have someone weld it. Then just use a thick bead of rtv silicone for the stator cover and call it good. That's what I did when my starter kicked back and broke out a pieces of the case.

The ideal fix would be a new case, but for me that just wasn't going to happen. If it works and doesn't leak, its fine.

9d61f5c86e84c8f2fed6557c871b5287.jpg

Depends on what type of aluminum its made from, some types cant be welded, you may be better off getting a used engine and parting this one and getting some of your money back.

Depends on what type of aluminum its made from, some types cant be welded, you may be better off getting a used engine and parting this one and getting some of your money back.

+1, the case is cast aluminum. Good luck welding that.

It could be repaired. If it were mine, I'd try it since it is just an oil retention area and the dowel pins are still intact for the stator cover, but it isn't something that most places would want to do for a customer.

Process I'd use would be to clean it and lay bead after bead down to build up a wall, then machine it flat and machine new threads for teh bolts. Lots of work and never any kind of guarantee it will be right.

If you are going to attempt to rebuild or have it rebuilt, Regardless of what anyone tells you or tries to convince you, you must purchase engine cases in matched pairs (upper and lower).

Gen 1 cases will work on a Gen2, but I believe teh cam guides are different and will need to be modified and/or changed over to gen1.

I appreciate all the info provided. I'm learning a lot, but still weighing out the options. I'm leaning towards parting that whole bike out and starting from scratch.

Back