Back tire blow-out at 80mph

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Ever do the 60's twist when the back tire goes flat at 80mph in a few seconds? Scary!!!:11zpissed:

Then you have to get the bike home. :banghead:

BT016 there is only about 1/8" between the tire and air, so a piece of glass or something sharp and it is all over.

It would not have helped in this case as it was a big cut, but CO2 cartridges and a puncture repair kit is next on my bucket list, should fit nicely in the hump.

Tyre 2.jpg

Tyre1.jpg

Tyre 2.jpg

Tyre1.jpg

Wow man glad your ok that's always my worry at first I thought you were going to say it was the 016s fault cause that's what I have

Glad you're safe.

I have the CyclePump kit from Pashnit. It stores in my trunk mod with room to spare.

Looks like that tire was past safe already.

3,700 miles, the wear indicators were just starting to show level with the tire. So yes it was time.

Just pulled the trigger on front and rear Pirelli Angle GT Sport Touring tires, see if I can stretch the mileage a bit, by sacrificing grip a little.

glad you kept the shiny parts and those covered in skin off the asphalt :beerchug:

i think you'll enjoy the Angel GT's, they have pretty good grip and definitely more miles...i'm running the Angel GT rear with a Diablo Rosso Corsa front, gives me better grip in the front and fairly equal miles on a set of tires

glad you kept the shiny parts and those covered in skin off the asphalt :beerchug:

i think you'll enjoy the Angel GT's, they have pretty good grip and definitely more miles...i'm running the Angel GT rear with a Diablo Rosso Corsa front, gives me better grip in the front and fairly equal miles on a set of tires

Semi, do you use the Angel GT with the "A" rating ( stronger carcass) or just the Angel GT?

3,700 miles, the wear indicators were just starting to show level with the tire. So yes it was time.

Just pulled the trigger on front and rear Pirelli Angle GT Sport Touring tires, see if I can stretch the mileage a bit, by sacrificing grip a little.

I think we all push it sometimes.

I just replaced my roadsmart which had worn down to the base level rubber. Didn't even realize it until a fellow rider pointed it out. I wear out the centers way before the edge because I commute 60 miles each day on the freeway. Tires are pretty thin to begin with and sometimes we don't think about it or say "Hmm, I think I can get one more ride outta that one" I cringe when I see a tire worn to the cords.

These tires are amazing or we're real lucky / blessed. Had it happen to me riding two up to Maxton. Actually rode the tire flat to a tire shop the next day. I thought that was incredible.

I did that once, no fun! I-80 going 80 two up.....white knuckle city....twisties I'd have dumped it for sure. Good save Jel.

Problem with the 016 is that the wear indicators are slightly off centre so its always much more worn than the indicators would have you think.
Once you're worn that far even a stone that doesn't get flicked away can easily punch through the tyre...tyre pressures can also impact how the tyre reacts to stones etc.

Back