Finally roped one of my unicorns

methodicreign

Registered
Way back (at least it feels like way back) kawasaki dropped a 636cc ninja on the world and holy crap did it dominate everything it touched. It didn't take long for the racing world to pretty much ban it, it was that good. Kawi pulled the plug and the 636 was lost before I could get my hands on one. Sure I could always buy used but honestly who buys a 600 and rides it nice and sells it in as good condition as they advertise. a good used 600 can be found but more often then not they are beaten to death and close to either death or at the very least some serious intensive care. However in 2013 kawi dropped the 636 on us once again.
This time I didn't wait years and years to jump on them. I waited just long enough to know there were no major updates on the 2015 model and then bought this beauty right off the floor. With all the rebates and reductions on over stock (2013 was a horrible year in my area for 600 sales) I couldn't say no to the deal. I go pick it up tomorrow morning when I get back into town. The busa now has an obnoxious little brother

image.jpg

image.jpg

Variety is the spice of life. Nice to have more than one bike for sure.

Have fun and be safe.

Yes, we will expect a FULL report on all aspects of your new machine.

So what was the magic number out the door?

:thumbsup:

MSRP in Canada is 12,500$ plus taxes, fees, first born, etc.
I paid 12,200 all included. bike was 9,999$ and the rest were fees and government meddling

22% in fees - that sucks.

Taxes and fees in MI might be about 10%.

But if you bought a bike in the states, I assume that Canada would rape you when you brought it home so
you lose either way. Guess that's the price you pay to live there. There must be some advantages to living there - just can't think of any. :laugh:

my little piece of Canada has 12% sales tax, plus documentation fees, plus a few other levies they love to charge, recycling tires and such.
it is what it is but not much I can do about it. on the plus side if I have an accident I leave the hospital without a crippling bill

gotta be the women. i only say that because almost every beautiful woman i see at the dragon is 99 percent of the time from Canada. just saying. except of course every lovely female member of the org of course. :whistle:

That is cool. Have you heard what guys are getting for HP to the rear wheel on a dyno with those?

motorcycle world magazine has this bike listed at 111.2 HP and 48.3 (I think) lbs/ft of torque at the rear wheel. it rides so different then the busa, I feel like I can put my feet down a pick it up in traffic it's so small and light comparably. power delivery is as smooth as I can make it and braking is nice and easy but has real stopping power when needed. it'll take me a while to get past the engine break in, I can't wait to open it up wide open on the highway through 1/2/3/4 and see what happens

When I bought my '06 Busa new all my friends had bought R1's except for one guy that had a puke green 636. They all paid thousands more than me and couldn't keep up nor could they comfortably ride. Enjoy. Your new ride has it's purpose.

When I bought my '06 Busa new all my friends had bought R1's except for one guy that had a puke green 636. They all paid thousands more than me and couldn't keep up nor could they comfortably ride. Enjoy. Your new ride has it's purpose.

You can't really compare that to a Busa, totally different class and purpose. I enjoy my Gixxer 600, has plenty power if you wind up the RPM, very light and easy to ride. Above 80mph, sure the Busa is much nicer, but one has to pick where that is possible without getting into trouble. Below 80mph, in traffic, or up a mountain pass with switchbacks the bike that weighs 175 lbs less is much more comfortable and easier to ride.

You have to ride a dual sport to realize the fun in riding a light bike. My Husky weighs 290lbs and when we are on forest roads in the mud, I ride up and down between my buddys with their heavy 900cc+ KTM's and BMW's while they walk next to their heavy bikes on the throttle, scared they will slide and go down.

We all love our Busa's, but lets face it, it is a heavy bike, part of the reason it is not popular in Europe.

You can't really compare that to a Busa, totally different class and purpose. I enjoy my Gixxer 600, has plenty power if you wind up the RPM, very light and easy to ride. Above 80mph, sure the Busa is much nicer, but one has to pick where that is possible without getting into trouble. Below 80mph, in traffic, or up a mountain pass with switchbacks the bike that weighs 175 lbs less is much more comfortable and easier to ride.

You have to ride a dual sport to realize the fun in riding a light bike. My Husky weighs 290lbs and when we are on forest roads in the mud, I ride up and down between my buddys with their heavy 900cc+ KTM's and BMW's while they walk next to their heavy bikes on the throttle, scared they will slide and go down.

We all love our Busa's, but lets face it, it is a heavy bike, part of the reason it is not popular in Europe.

Excellent point. I love my busa and I will never be without one, I bought the ninja for city riding, light to light and traffic and 90 degree turns. if I'm going on a longer day ride or highway ride the busa wins hands down. I love the light feel of the ninja and almost telepathic handling of such a light bike. I haven't gotten to really open it up get as there are less the 60 miles on it still but once it's broken in and the assembly lube is changed out and real oil is in it I can have some real fun with it.

Excellent point. I love my busa and I will never be without one, I bought the ninja for city riding, light to light and traffic and 90 degree turns. if I'm going on a longer day ride or highway ride the busa wins hands down. I love the light feel of the ninja and almost telepathic handling of such a light bike. I haven't gotten to really open it up get as there are less the 60 miles on it still but once it's broken in and the assembly lube is changed out and real oil is in it I can have some real fun with it.

You will enjoy the power, it is usable power. :laugh: That bike of yours should do the 1/4 in about 10.7 and you don't have to bother with burning rubber or flipping the bike. Just launch at around 7,000 and go through 1st, 2nd into 3rd.

I finally got the first service done and this bike scares the poop outta me. I swear this bike will hurt me in the future. I climb onto the busa and there is an understanding there, it's a powerful bike but it's tamed. You don't mess with it and it won't mess with you, it'll simply take you where you wanna go and it'll leave you with a smile while it's doing it. The ninja however is like wrestling a hyperactive 10 year old on cocaine.

I know I can ride it safely but when I get on it I don't want to. It's like it reaches into your helmet and removes the part of you that says no to stupid ideas. Something about it makes me wanna drag a knee on every corner, run it to red line and keep it above 12K as long as I can. There are 1,350 km on the clock and zero chicken strips on the tires, my busa comparatively has an inch or so on the edges of tires with 8K on them.

It's not as fast obviously and it takes a few seconds to get high enough in the engine to get real power but when it does hang on to something. Every corner is an adventure and every road a race track. I got it for city riding but I find myself looking for the long way around, and preferably the abandoned way around. I know they are totally different bikes and comparing them is really unfair and shouldn't be done, they both have there uses and they are incredibly good at what they were designed for. Everyone I talk to who has been in the bike world doesn't understand how a 636 can scare me more then the "legendary busa" as they put it but it does.

Hey, if the 636 matches your personality - that's all that matters! Who are we to judge? Enjoy, have fun, and be safe! :beerchug:

has plenty power if you wind up the RPM, very light and easy to ride.

YEP. I picked one up at a Sheriff's auction once. I am big guy. That is a little bike. After I did the big once over on it I took it out for a spin. It doesn't wake up until about 9K RPM. And yes it is actually pretty dang fun to throw it around. You can't really get into a too much throttle scenario with it. If I weren't 6'6" and 240, it would fun to play with them on a track.

You feel like you can pick it up and strap it over your shoulder and walk home......lol.

Back