Drive sprocket shake

cosmic_ocean

Registered
There is some play/shake in the drive sprocket when the chain is held and shaken [above the swing arm]. Bike has clocked 11500 odd miles. Is some degree of shake normal or should the sprocket cover be removed and the matter investigated? Can it be a loose sprocket securing nut or some degree of relative motion [between the drive shaft & sprocket] due to normal wear? Also, how long does the gearbox drive shaft bearing behind the sprocket ideally last?

Over 50 views and not a single response. This is not the org I know.
Y'all better get in here and help this new member out.
Shame on you :spank:

Since I have not ever had the luxury of a new bike, I couldn't really tell you how much play is acceptable there. I do know the cush drive is behind the sprocket. Which are rubber cushions/dampers in the drive line. They will allow something I am sure. But 11,000 miles seems awful low miles to have to replace. I will be putting a new cush drive in mine in the next few days and then I will be able to see how much wiggle is there.

I am assuming you mean the front (Drive) sprocket in my response. Your front sprocket should be tight and without play. If the sprocket is loose you should definitely remove the sprocket cover and check it out. Movement along the rotational axis is normal due to play in the gears. Movement side to side is not normal and may indicate a loose attaching nut or problems with the output shaft or bearings that support it.

If you are talking about the rear sprocket a slight amount of rotational movement is OK. If it is excessive, you should remove your back wheel and then remove the sprocket carrier and chack out your rubbers. They are cheap to replace if there is excessive play. If the movement is side to side, your rear wheel may be incorrectly installed and I would check it against a shop manual to ensure correct assembly.

Maybe to give others a clearer understanding. From the post it sounds like the front sprocket. And it also sounds like more lateral movement, not rotational. Right?

I know either way I think there has to be some.... How much I don't know. But if its too loose it's dangerous, and to tight would increase wear and heat...

But either way here's another bump...

Referring to the front sprocket on the gear box shaft, not the rear. Presume it is normal play, perpendicular to the shaft axis; the play isn't rotational. Nut is fastened correct, held in place with the Loctite.:agree:

Yes it will spin forwards and backwards about a 1/4 turn. It will feel like more with the bike not running and in gear if you push the bike forward and backwards due to chain slack.

Why are you asking about this?
Did you notice a noise or some kind of performance issue?
Is everything stock in that area?

Most people don't take off the front sprocket cover unless they plan on changing
The sprocket or decide it's time to clean that area out. :laugh:
Are you just curious? Nothing wrong with that as I'm curious as to what caused you to post the question.

IMHO if there are no noises or other issues - just enjoy it and keep riding.
AND yes there has to be a little play or it could bind up and that would not be pretty.

One more thing - is the chain to the proper tension and is the rear wheel perfectly straight?

Why are you asking about this?
Did you notice a noise or some kind of performance issue?
Is everything stock in that area?

Most people don't take off the front sprocket cover unless they plan on changing
The sprocket or decide it's time to clean that area out. :laugh:
Are you just curious? Nothing wrong with that as I'm curious as to what caused you to post the question.

IMHO if there are no noises or other issues - just enjoy it and keep riding.
AND yes there has to be a little play or it could bind up and that would not be pretty.

One more thing - is the chain to the proper tension and is the rear wheel perfectly straight?

No noise or performance issues. Yes, everything stock. Not a matter of curiosity as well :laugh:
Gripping the chain above the swing arm and shaking it is an old trick to check for sprocket slack. Now bikes which come with a bolt on type sprocket fastening (those sprockets have tapped holes to accommodate the fasteners which clamp the sprocket in place) have a mild degree of sprocket slack (to prevent damage to the driving shaft under varying torque), while the sprocket on the Busa does not have bolt on fastening (uses a nut instead and nut fastening should ideally not give rise to sprocket slack... ideally but may not be practically).

This question came up as I wanted to know from veterans if a mild degree of slack is common and acceptable for the Busa, in real life conditions :whistle:

If the bikes under warranty take it in for peace of mind. You're gonna have rotational movement. Any side to side movement would be understandable in the middle of the chain. Lastly you could drop the sprocket cover and make sure the sprocket was tight..

Back