The hayabusa starter problems - a never ending story

mwgw

Registered
Edited version

Hi

There is one thing I do not understand with Hayabusa especially Gen 1 & it's the start problems that so many describe. Most often, it is difficult to start when you have driven a few mil left it half an hour and then try to start it. But even cold-start problems occur.
Standard answer these wretches get is that to test the battery and replace it if it´s bad - which works sometimes, but all too rarely.

Another advice is that the start motor is too hot and needs to cool, it has swelled in the heat and therefore goes sluggish; but what can expand into the starter and get it to jam, it's the needle bearing in the front or rod in the ring in the back?

The bar in the starter motor runs freely without any friction in the rotational direction except those I have already mentioned: it has a even a specific room for movement in the longitudinal direction and should therefore meet a certain thermal expansion without getting stuck. But what strikes me is the amount of Hayabusa with starting problems. I have recently seen even Gen 2 Busa with the same problem.

I have problems starting the bike with a warm or cold engine, that crank slow and drains the battery on only 3-4 start attempts. The problem comes at 75% of start attempts, but in 25% of the attemmts it start up immediately with good spin on the starter.

I changed the starter relay, regulator / refrictor, batteries: YuasaYTZ14S with 230 CCA (starting current) & Shido Lithium Ion with 300 CCA, starter clutch and even tried a 24-volt systems,which admittedly started the bike 9 times out of 10., but when the starter motor started to go slow & chewy, & the 24 volts hit the starter so hard that the teeth from the starter through the idle gear to the starter the clutch and to the drive shaft into the motor, I thought everything would collapse and teeth flying. Without achieving any improvement.

Question - what is it that is under dimensioned and substandard on this bike for the starting problem.
That there is a construction of budget parts - I know, but why does not Suzuki with the problem & do something radical like to change the battery, starter ody. ? or is there any professional service mechanic or someone else who knows the cause and solution to this problem. We who are afflicted and spend big money on buying one after the expensive parts. My suzuki workshop are the ones who changed all the parts I changed for good money and without that problem is solved.
Or do I have to abandon the Hayabusa, which over the years I've learned to love and buy a bike with higher quality & reliability.

My desire is an explanation of the problem and a solution to it. As it is, do not even suzuki mechanics reason for the error, but gives different answer every time.

Dirty grounding frame negative connection or positive cable to starter needs replacement.I wish it was that simple though

+1 gen 1 starter grounding is crap and the negative / ground contact from the battery is poor...run a negative direct from the battery or redo all the control wiring...New relays etc are only as good as the wiring around them.

+1 gen 1 starter grounding is crap and the negative / ground contact from the battery is poor...run a negative direct from the battery or redo all the control wiring...New relays etc are only as good as the wiring around them.

OK i'll try that, thanks!

What year bike do you have? Some years were prone to issues if not addressed. I never had a single issue out of my 05 and my 09 has started each and every time I hit the button in the last 5 years. Do you keep your bike on a battery tender? Do you have current draw while the bike is switched off?

Sorry cant help you out about this but there must be a problem with some of the busa models regarding starting issues when i brought my gen 2 for some reason it would not start when warm or hot but now the problem has disappeared much to my delight all I did was check the battery which was OK then just rode it perhaps a bit more then the previous owner did anyway good luck :thumbsup:

I had a slow start issue on my 02. It would sometimes feel like it was gonna drain the battery and then boom, starts up. But.... One day it left me stranded at the gas station.

So I got a jump and started taking it apart when I got home. Nothing seemed to help mine until I disconnected my power commander. The starter seemed to crank faster, but it starts quick now so it may just be because it doesn't crank as long. Never put that pc back on and I haven't had a difficult start problem since. Could be my pc was bad, but I'd give it a try if you have one connected.

As asked, what year is this bike?
How many miles
What mods are done?
Is the bike tuned with a PC?

Hi
It is a 2003 model. 60000 km it is a standard bike, the only change is a pair of Slip On's that has been worn for 7-8 years. And of course 24v system, but then the problem was already a fact & the reason I tried it. Battery retains its power even if the bike has not been run in a few weeks. So there is noth that drains the battery when parked. I have also measured this up.
Wintertime is the battery connected to a "smart" chargers constant.
The bike worked perfectly up until a & half years ago. A chilly day when the starter was sluggish for the first time, but at the third attempt spun it as usual and started immediately.
Since then, the problem increases over time.Battery retains its power even if the bike has not been run in a few weeks. So there is noth that drains the battery when parked. I have also measured this up.
The bike worked perfectly up until a & half years ago. A chilly day when the starter was sluggish for the first time, but at the third attempt spun it as usual and started immediately.
Since then, the problem increases over time.

What year bike do you have? Some years were prone to issues if not addressed. I never had a single issue out of my 05 and my 09 has started each and every time I hit the button in the last 5 years. Do you keep your bike on a battery tender? Do you have current draw while the bike is switched off?

Yes, I know guys who suffered to the PC malfunctioned or broken and they've had a hell before they found the problem.

I had a slow start issue on my 02. It would sometimes feel like it was gonna drain the battery and then boom, starts up. But.... One day it left me stranded at the gas station.

So I got a jump and started taking it apart when I got home. Nothing seemed to help mine until I disconnected my power commander. The starter seemed to crank faster, but it starts quick now so it may just be because it doesn't crank as long. Never put that pc back on and I haven't had a difficult start problem since. Could be my pc was bad, but I'd give it a try if you have one connected.

Has the starter motor been taken out and tested....its field magnets could be toast or the insulation of the windings could be ageing.
Under heavy load from cold starts etc the winding heat up faster which reduces their efficiency and then effects the way its starts.
Have the motor brushes been replaced.
Even new starters can be defective.

Edited version

Hi
It is a 2003 model. 60000 km it is a standard bike, the only change is a pair of Slip On's that has been worn for 7-8 years. And of course 24v system, but then the problem was already a fact & the reason I tried it. Battery retains its power even if the bike has not been run in a few weeks. So there is noth that drains the battery when parked. I have also measured this up.
The bike worked perfectly up until one & half years ago. A chilly day when the starter was sluggish for the first time, but at the third attempt spun it as usual and started immediately.
Since then, the problem increases over time.Battery retains its power even if the bike has not been run in a few weeks. So there is noth that drains the battery when parked. I have also measured this up.
Since then, the problem increases over time.

Hi
No, not tested in a workshop, which might be a good idea. Right now checking and replacement of lines and contacts in the starting circuit, measure the clutch level position swich - again, and of course the starter. I've checked the carbon brushes - and they were OK. I checked Commutator: the undercuts, disco Appeals & abnormal wear, as they say in the book - and it was ok. I measured "amature coli inspection" at some points just to be recognized with they were ok.
Otherwise, I am on your line, and would like to try another starter - just to rule out that the wrong source.

Has the starter motor been taken out and tested....its field magnets could be toast or the insulation of the windings could be ageing.
Under heavy load from cold starts etc the winding heat up faster which reduces their efficiency and then effects the way its starts.
Have the motor brushes been replaced.
Even new starters can be defective.

I had the same problem for 2 summers, i tried lots of different solutions but i finally gave up and thought i´d just buy a real battery (i was trying out a Shorai LiFePo battery atm) and run it til something breaks. I ordered a reasonably cheap Bosch M6 battery, popped it in and WTF?! the starting problems were gone and they´ve been gone ever since. I have absolutely no explanation to why it works but i´ll never change batteries again. :no:

Where are you from. Looked at your profile but no general location. Maybe there would be someone willing to help you out near?

Yes as I've written, many bikes with starting problems has bad batteries. Poor in such a way that it is difficult to discover yourself. With a battery tester, an expensive digital device, available in motorcycle shops & petrol stations, it measures everything including capacity in Ah. etc.. And - I have tested my last YUASA & it was perfect. I wish it was enough with a battery replacement for an end to the misery.

I had the same problem for 2 summers, i tried lots of different solutions but i finally gave up and thought i´d just buy a real battery (i was trying out a Shorai LiFePo battery atm) and run it til something breaks. I ordered a reasonably cheap Bosch M6 battery, popped it in and WTF?! the starting problems were gone and they´ve been gone ever since. I have absolutely no explanation to why it works but i´ll never change batteries again. :no:

Europe, is it not obvious considering how bad I write in English using Google translator. There are some Hayabusa's in my area and we help one another as best we can. Otherwise, we devote ourselves to the most-racing. But what makes me tired is that Suzuki's brand workshop solution to the problem is to replace every part on the bike until by chance spots the right one - expensive & so far without result

Where are you from. Looked at your profile but no general location. Maybe there would be someone willing to help you out near?

Ha, your translation works better than some people talk around my area. Wish I could give ya more ideas because I hate the feeling of having electrical gremlins.

I have 4 sensors in my jeep that all directly effect each other messing up. But of course none of them test bad.

Good luck with the fix.

Back