freezing the dent out of an exhaust pipe

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
tried something new today and it worked as well as i could have asked...i had a fairly significant dent/bend in one of my HMF mid-pipes...they no longer make this exhaust and all efforts to find a replacement failed (btw GoldenChild, thank you so much for all of your efforts and time :bowdown:)...so, i got a couple freeze plugs and hose clamps (used these to give a little extra support since i knew i was going to have to put as much pressure as possible to keep the plugs in place...might not need them but didn't want to take the chance) and stuck a gallon of water in the fridge (cold water doesn't take as long to freeze and also gives you the maximum expansion)...i plugged the small end, filled the pipe with water, and plugged the other end

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

i stuck the pipe in the freezer and started spending time watching water freeze :laugh: after three hours, it pushed the plug out of the big end so i pulled it out, cleaned the end up, topped off the water, and tried to get the plug in even more securely...back to watching water freeze again

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

about three and a half hours later, i started seeing the first visible signs of the dent being pushed out...approximately an hour and a half later, there are a couple small dimples left but i went ahead and pulled it out of the freezer as i didn't want to risk something going wrong like it starting to take out the bends that are supposed to be in the pipe...i pulled out the plugs and the pipe is currently thawing in the bathtub...i am quite happy with the results and don't think it will be very noticeable once i have the pipes re-coated...anyway, hope this helps any of you who wind up in the same situation :beerchug:

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Sweet! I've seen/heard of people doing this with gas tanks, never exhaust pipes! Awesome stuff!

Back