GPS Recommendations?

Adam G

Registered
I am reading reviews and doing searches here on the Org regarding GPS units. From what I am seeing I am going to want to go with a motorcycle specific GPS unit. The TomTom Rider2 seems to be a nice unit. It has the standard motorcycle specific features such as glare resistant screen, waterproof, vibration resistant, comes with a mount that seems to get good reviews, etc. It also has some nice software features where you can find the route with the most curvy roads(this would be awesome) as well as download routes from Google Maps. Price is decent in the mid $300's as well for a refurbished unit.

I was out riding today and found myself trying to figure out which way to go to find some twisties. I also found myself a bit lost and have been thinking of getting a mount for my phone. I have bought enough crap in my life and if I decide to invest the money I want to get something that I will be very happy with if I am going to fork out $300-$600.

What are you guys using and what would you recommend? Anyone have fist hand experience with the TomTom Rider 2?

I used to have the Garmin Zumo 550 and have recently "upgraded" to the Zumo 665.

I'm a Garmin guy. Never have I been of fan of the TomTom stuff. If you just need a basic gps for the bike you can run a normal Garmin Nuvi, but the Zumo series are waterproof, glove friendly, and have tons of motorcycle fun stuff. My 665 streams bluetooth to my Sena headset and I can make phone calls through it, stream XM radio, etc etc. I love it.

:thumbsup:

i have the Garmin 660 which i bought before the 665 came out...if i was going to buy one tomorrow, it would be the 665 :beerchug:

I am too cheap to buy a bike-specific GPS so I have been happily using an old Nuvi 265 (many comparable used units for around $50). Served me very well on several long distance/multi-day trips :beerchug:

Someday plan to try using the FREE navi app already in my smartphone :) (still undecided on what mount to go with)

I'm running a $100 TomTom I bought last year. The wife bought a rainproof case with mounts for $45 from memory. No issues. I've ran it with gloves on but I don't know if it has all the bells and whistles the others have it just gets me where I'm going LMBO

I had a tomtom and it was ok, except you could not set way points or zoom out on the map. My K1600 has a NavIV that is basically a Zumo, so I purchased a mount for the Busa and use the same GPS on both bikes.

Iphone 4S or later, with a waterproof holder and mount, using Google Maps. You also need a 12V wire from anywhere on the bike if you plan more than 2 hours.

I broke the bank and spent nearly $40 on a used 265WT, opened the case to attach a 3.5mm jack to it ($1.99) and one of these which come on sale pretty regularly. Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Players...) + 3.5mm Female to 2 RCA Male Cable: Kindle Store

10k so far with it and no issues, but even if it does fail it's hard to care for the money I spent.

I had an extra car unit, and just put that inside my screen. I've never had an issue with rain, it just doesn't go in there.

I have another bike with a Zumo 550. It came with the bike, I didn't personally install it. It works fine.

Don't forget the 3RB connector for power. Make sure you order the one for your Gen I or II Busi.

So I think I have everything figured out and ordered correctly. Went with:

Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT GPS

Ram Mount with GPS specific mount for the 2595LMT

3BR Powersports USB power connector from Pashnit

9" sealed cable to go from the USB Power connector directly to the GPS.

I think that should cover it. Did I miss anything???

IF you're a Gen 2, someone just posted a BoostbySmith power cable in the classifieds that makes getting switched power unbelievably easy!

Just ordered a Sena SMH10R to round things out. Will be nice to be able to hear the GPS prompts as well as listen to music from my phone. Now I just have to figure out how to get everything synced up and working correctly.

You need to make sure that you get the Hayabusa Gen II specific 3BR cable. It's plug and play for switched power. The USB connectors will kill a battery if they sit long enough. I hope you're listening sir, there's a reason I'm saying this and bots is hinting around :poke:

Hmm, I ordered it from Pashnit. It is the one he is using on his bike. It is not switched as far as I know. I will have to go read up on it some more.

Although I would love to get a Garmin Zumo, I can't justify the cost at this time. I have been experimenting with the GPS on my Galaxy S2 (maybe upgrading to an S5 for the 5" screen). I just purchased a tank bag with an integrated GPS pocket (link below). Nice size and protects the GPS/Phone against the weather. I also ordered the 3BR Powersports 2.1A USB from Pashnit and accessory harness from smithabusa. Now just need some time to put it all together.

https://www.tourmaster.com/product/Luggage/Elite_14L_Tank_Bag__Magnetic/429/11

Back